View Full Version : based on results, which pipe would you buy?

chad502ex
02-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Based upon the WPPRACING PIPE SHOUTOUT test results; Pick one and vote

your identity is hidden

1. WB carbon
2. Stealth Charger
3. Sparks
4. R.E.
5. Pulse Charger
6. N-Motion
7. HMF
8. Baldwin
9. HMF W/QC

chad502ex
02-06-2005, 02:59 PM
it would be great if Pappy or Harlen could sticky this so everyone could vote

kfxrider35
02-06-2005, 06:28 PM
i think hmf b/c it put the most out. and the sound of it.

chad502ex
02-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by kfxrider35
i think hmf b/c it put the most out. and the sound of it.

for sound i liked the RE, PC and HMF

chad502ex
02-06-2005, 08:58 PM
at 29 votes, the PC leads with 10

com'on - vote

this isn't for Presidency here guys

bradley300
02-07-2005, 09:17 AM
i'd say you can get rid of the baldwin being as its the same exact pipe as the HMF, baldwin has hmf make thier pipes, they just put there sticker on it

iceracer17
02-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Only raced twice so far with the Rossier and won both times!
Glad i bought it.

sharkinthepool
02-07-2005, 10:31 AM
What no results with a GT Thunder? Huh, imagine that!:ermm:

Thump_It
02-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Seems odd that there are so many votes for the Pulse Charger. The results were low to mid in the pack of other brands. Not to mention the thing weighs a ton and looks rather ugly in my opinion.

But hey, how about the ol' White Brothers ;)

Metzroth
02-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Since there were two different people posting dyno info from two different sources and the HMF (w/ or w/o quiet core) if i got a 450r tomorrow and bought a pipe the next day, it would be an HMF.

flees41
02-07-2005, 06:01 PM
I have a ROSSIER (RE) on my quad and am very happy with it. Raced a number of time with very good results. Very Satisfied

Wayne64SS
02-07-2005, 06:35 PM
I bought my HMF full system long before this test had come out and i had been awaiting these results anxiously. I was absolutely shocked to see the results!!!! I was an avid PC supporter and was kind of regretting my decision untill now. I am very glad i waited for the results before i sold my HMF. IMO there is no comparison, PC list is $600+ and i got my HMF for $380 including tax. Not only did the HMF put out more PEAK hp but its CURVE was very very close to that of the PC which was the whole "hype" behind the pipe. I am thrilled with my HMF props to them for the design and price. Props to everyone who took the time and effort to make the test happen. THanks alot the info is priceless to have. Thanks to everyone who donated pipes for the test especially mixxer. I didn't see a single other pipe manufacturer donate one .... this guys got balls. Oh well i've given enough of my opinion!

wppracing
02-07-2005, 07:35 PM
I talked to HMF today and the quiet core insert is their OLD version and wasnt that quiet. There new version is alot quieter and does take some power away.

chad502ex
02-08-2005, 06:32 AM
HMF takes the lead

as of now here are the results:
HMF w/ quiet Core 6 7.50%
Baldwin 2 2.50%
Rossier 12 15.00%
HMF 22 27.50%
Pulse Charger 16 20.00%
Stealth Charger 0 0%
Sparks 19 23.75%
NMotion 1 1.25%
WB carbon 2 2.50%

these results are changing so once in a while i'll repost the results to get an idea of the "score"

Metzroth
02-08-2005, 07:15 AM
What is the cheapest 450r you guys have seen for sale? I have an 03 400ex and I'm hoping to get a job after I move and start savin.

chad502ex
02-08-2005, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Metzroth
What is the cheapest 450r you guys have seen for sale? I have an 03 400ex and I'm hoping to get a job after I move and start savin.

:confused:

Metzroth
02-08-2005, 07:22 AM
you really dont understand what I'm asking? All I want to know is what is the cheapest you've seen a 450r sell for. Since most the people who have responded to this thread have a 450r I figured this would be a good place to ask.

chad502ex
02-08-2005, 07:34 AM
you really dont understand what I'm asking? All I want to know is what is the cheapest you've seen a 450r sell for. Since most the people who have responded to this thread have a 450r I figured this would be a good place to ask.

i understand why you would ask that now, but this is a pipe thread. as long as you voted! ;)

i have no problem with your question.

i think i payed <$6k with HRC kit at the Motorcycle Factory in VA

Metzroth
02-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Voted HMF :).

02-08-2005, 03:26 PM
prob. find a decent used one i you look hard enough for $5k

Metzroth
02-08-2005, 04:41 PM
well i still have to come up with 2k even if i could find one that cheap so maybe by the time I have it saved they will be easier to find used.

10secKing
02-08-2005, 05:02 PM
any thoughts on an LRD??? good bad or otherwise???

HMF i guess...i am pretty pleased with the one on my 440ex

devil6
02-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Thump_It
Seems odd that there are so many votes for the Pulse Charger. The results were low to mid in the pack of other brands. Not to mention the thing weighs a ton and looks rather ugly in my opinion.

But hey, how about the ol' White Brothers ;)

What is the weight diff between the other pipes and the PC? I know the pc weighs about 9lbs. And i really wouldnt buy a pipe based on weight anyways, just don't eat that last double cheesburger.

beak7707
02-08-2005, 08:18 PM
I love the power my carbon fiber Baance HMF pipe makes, but it is SOOO loud. I dont think I will have a chance at passing GNCC sound checks. Are any of you guys running it and have passed or failed sound checks?

iceracer65
02-08-2005, 08:29 PM
i know of a guy by me that ran his rossier all year at some cc races.
96db and spark arrested.

Kennethyfz450
02-09-2005, 10:28 AM
so chad would are you going to be running in the next few months?

chad502ex
02-09-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Kennethyfz450
so chad would are you going to be running in the next few months?

i'm already running, but i'll be running a lot better and will have new dyno results showing a lot more power! you'll see!

:D

chad502ex
02-10-2005, 11:02 AM
HMF with the lead still...

HMF w/ quiet Core 10 8.06%
Baldwin 6 4.84%
Rossier 16 12.90%
HMF 39 31.45%
Pulse Charger 22 17.74%
Stealth Charger 0 0%
Sparks 24 19.35%
NMotion 3 2.42%
WB carbon 4 3.23%

TrX450rKiD
02-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Stand by for another shootout in 2 weeks. It is going to be just R.E. and PC .. that way Brian can use the afr on all runs and get the prime jetting. He will also let let the quad cool down after every run to prevent heat soak. This one will be 100% legit .. and OldSandMan is donating his dB meter for the test. Thanks Brian! You guys can see the lead up to the test and the results HERE (http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=5687) if you are interested :cool:

-The Kid-

chad502ex
02-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by TrX450rKiD
Stand by for another shootout in 2 weeks. It is going to be just R.E. and PC .. that way Brian can use the afr on all runs and get the prime jetting. He will also let let the quad cool down after every run to prevent heat soak. This one will be 100% legit .. and OldSandMan is donating his dB meter for the test. Thanks Brian! You guys can see the lead up to the test and the results HERE (http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=5687) if you are interested :cool:

-The Kid-

thanks kid for your update on Brian's next shootout.

the internet is a small place (so to speak) and news travels fast. i'm sure the results will get posted here too. ;)

BOONE450R
02-10-2005, 02:36 PM
I asked Precision Motorsports if they would post the A/F graphs, so that we all could see them and judge for are self if the pipes used in these tests were jetted correctly or at least remotely close. This is the response i got.

PMclutch
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:27 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only A/F graph requested from the customer (wppracing) was with the sparks exhaust. Customer jetted other exhaust according to recommended specs. Would you like to see the sparks?
877-MBL-DYNO

You can see for your self if you like http://precision-ms.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=70 you will have to register with the site to see.

I understand that it would be VERY time consuming and costly to properly jet the carb for each pipe, but in all fairness to every manufacturers involved in this test that would be the right thing to do. Hopefully in the next shootout PC vs. Rossier the record will be set straight, and all the info will be publicly available for everyone to see.

So please take those results with a grain of salt.

chad502ex
02-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by BOONE450R
I asked Precision Motorsports if they would post the A/F graphs, so that we all could see them and judge for are self if the pipes used in these tests were jetted correctly or at least remotely close. This is the response i got.

PMclutch
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:27 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only A/F graph requested from the customer (wppracing) was with the sparks exhaust. Customer jetted other exhaust according to recommended specs. Would you like to see the sparks?
877-MBL-DYNO

You can see for your self if you like http://precision-ms.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=70 you will have to register with the site to see.

I understand that it would be VERY time consuming and costly to properly jet the carb for each pipe, but in all fairness to every manufacturers involved in this test that would be the right thing to do. Hopefully in the next shootout PC vs. Rossier the record will be set straight, and all the info will be publicly available for everyone to see.

this next shootout should zero in on max performance on each of the two pipes (PC and RE). I thought Brian used the PC advertised jetting that was included with the PC ??? didn't he use a 170 main as instructed by the PC's jetting directions? Anyway- it don't matter just wondering. the second test will shed more light for ppl.... hopefully ppl won't cry BS on the second test either cause it sure is getting expensive for him

BOONE450R
02-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Who said anything about the PC????? I said EVERY manufacturer!!
When i said "set the record straight" i was referring to the inadequate information and to whether or not the test were done correctly.;)

chad502ex
02-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Who said anything about the PC????? I said EVERY manufacturer!!
When i said "set the record straight" i was referring to the inadequate information and to whether the test was done correctly or not.;)

i know you said every manufacture. I was the one asking if Brian used the correct jetting as specified, can you answer that?

BOONE450R
02-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
i know you said every manufacture. I was the one asking if Brian used the correct jetting as specified, can you answer that?

I couldn't tell you i don't own a PC sorry, but if its like my YOSHI it calls for a 145main you think thats what i have in there?

chad502ex
02-10-2005, 04:37 PM
I couldn't tell you i do not own a PC sorry, but if its like my YOSHI it calls for a 145main you think thats what i have in there?

what do you have in there?

BOONE450R
02-10-2005, 04:38 PM
172main

TrX450rKiD
02-10-2005, 04:45 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/tuffguy/2003_0107_010147.jpg

PC Jetting ^^

-The Kid-

BOONE450R
02-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks Kid;)
So the answer to your question Chad is NO.

Check this out it might help. http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=5568&st=285# post #299 this will help explain why the jetting is so critical.

chad502ex
02-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Thanks Kid;)
So the answer to your question Chad is NO.

Check this out it might help. http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=5568&st=285# post #299 this will help explain why the jetting is so critical.

i think your misunderstood me here. i was told and read over at .org that Brian ran a 170 with the PC. now, the instructions kid post seem to be different from the instructions that was posted before. are these the new ones? if my memory serves me the old instructions indicated 170 for brians setup. :confused:

i'm not interested in what jetting is required for the PC, all i want to know is what he used on the first shootout so we can compare to his jetting on the second test run to see how close he was. understand?

BOONE450R
02-10-2005, 05:13 PM
He ran a 170main in the first test.

chad502ex
02-10-2005, 05:23 PM
He ran a 170main in the first test.

thank you. it will be neat to see if the jetting does change.

cletusEX
02-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by beak7707
I love the power my carbon fiber Baance HMF pipe makes, but it is SOOO loud. I dont think I will have a chance at passing GNCC sound checks. Are any of you guys running it and have passed or failed sound checks?

My brother runs a BB full system on his 450R. At last year's GNCC's he was anywhere from 99 to 102 decibels. You might be alright. The funny thing is the difference might only be 3 decibels but the decimal scale is not linear. For every 3 decimals the noise is twice as loud. So a 102 pipe is twice as loud as a 99 decimal pipe. I'm pretty sure the that's how the scale works.

LostCause439
02-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Someone said the PC exhaust is 600+, i saw them on www.partsforatvs.com for 575 shipped

TrX450rKiD
02-11-2005, 12:28 PM

i'm not interested in what jetting is required for the PC, all i want to know is what he used on the first shootout so we can compare to his jetting on the second test run to see how close he was. understand?

I think Boone was under the impression that you wanted to know the required jetting because of this:

Just a guess ... (I wouldn't have posted this if you didn't have the sarcasm in your post .. c'mon man, we are all adults here)

-The Kid-

wppracing
02-11-2005, 01:03 PM
This is how the test will be performed next weekend

I will not lean the jetting on the pilot above 13 on the a/f meter. I set the pilot to be slightly rich on the bottom. I did set it up once on the dyno before this and went to the track the next day. It didnt run good on the bottom like coming around a turn and letting off the gas then back on it hard. It hesitated. So I put a bigger pilot in and it was running great. I dont ride on a dyno. I will adjust the air screw though. The main jet will start at the manufactors "RECOMMENDED" specs and I will jet from there. Even if the RECOMMENDED PILOT is 48, I am still leaving the 50 pilot installed. Again my setup runs better with the 50 pilot. I will not try to jet to get 14.0 or 14.7. It will be done until the HP drops. So if the highest HP is at 13 or so on the a/f meter, then that is how my set up makes the best power . What ever I end up with doesnt mean you will need the same jet on your atv. If it is a 180 main that I end up with, you might need a bigger or smaller jet for YOUR LOCATION and MODS even if we have the same pipe. If this next test doesnt satisfy your questions nothing will.

I am looking forward to this next test. Hopefully the PC will prove its point.

chad502ex
02-11-2005, 04:15 PM
I think Boone was under the impression that you wanted to know the required jetting because of this:

Just a guess ... (I wouldn't have posted this if you didn't have the sarcasm in your post .. c'mon man, we are all adults here)

-The Kid-

sarcasm? where in that quote is sarcasm? you haven't even heard any kid so why are you trying to interfere and start another issue with your "just a guess" comment? let's not even start. I'm not even interested with anyone butting into a conversation and trying to start crap with some misinterpretation of my words. I have no problem with Boone. I think his viewpoints are very interesting and I always follow his posts. However, your post don't interest me and i'm not interested in having any negative debates with you. if you wish to offer technical information- i'll read but otherwise go make derogitory comments to someone else. not trying to be mean here, just my honest opinion. sorry to be soo outspoken here. it's just that I'm done with all the battling back and forth. find another fight! i wasn't meaning to be sarcastic to Boone- it was your interpretation and not my intention.

let's just end this. this is not constructive or technical.

let's get back to the thread topic, ok?

Brian, what do you mean,..

Hopefully, the PC will prove its point?

to me, and i'm not trying to misconstrue those words just need clarification, those words mean that you "Hope" the PC will finally prove its point; are you no longer a non-biased test individual now "hoping" that the PC makes its point? That may sound a little biased. What point do you mean? i hope this test still remains non-biased. it is good that the one testing these pipes are distributors of both pipes- is this correct Brian? you sell and distribut the RE and the PC, right? i'm really not for sure- just want to verify that's all..

One more thing- thanks Brian. do you have a PayPal addy so others can contribute some monies for the second test?

chad502ex.com

catch22blaster
02-11-2005, 04:41 PM
believe me sparks is the best for the trx that's what makes it scream:macho :macho :macho :macho :macho :macho :macho

catch22blaster
02-11-2005, 04:41 PM
believe me sparks is the best for the trx that's what makes it scream:macho :macho :macho :macho :macho :macho :macho

chad502ex
02-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by catch22blaster

that right! The Sparks worked the best for the 530. that's is what made the most power on the 530 BIG bore and on the 26th of February it will make even more. I found out that my 530 was really really really advanced on the cam timing and it still made 51/39. just wait and see the next dyno run on the 26th- the cam timing will be retarded more and timed in and the 530 will finally get to make max power.:macho

catch22blaster
02-11-2005, 05:11 PM
alright good for you:macho :macho :macho :macho

wppracing
02-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Brian, what do you mean,..

quote:
Hopefully, the PC will prove its point?
My reply:
Since the PC has come out,it is suppost to be one of the best pipes on the market. Its design makes it a must to get the best power to jet correctly. I plan on doing a complete a/f test with BOTH pipes and there will be a better pipe than the other.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One more thing- thanks Brian. do you have a PayPal addy so others can contribute some monies for the second test?

chad502ex.com
Yes it is watercraft193pro@aol.com

TrX450rKiD
02-11-2005, 07:42 PM
Sorry Chad. The last part if your post seemed very sarcastic to me. The "understand now." I'm sure that if you think about it, you can understand how that can sound very sarcastic and like a wise@$$ remark if I can't hear the tone of your voice or any body language. Once again, I really am sorry man, just a misunderstanding and I was just trying to stand up for Boone because I know he's a cool guy.

-The Kid-

Bad Habit
02-11-2005, 08:12 PM
I would like to throw something in this if I could. This would be for all voters.

I think it would be interesting to take "based on results, which pipe would you buy?" and add "WHY?"

What is your reason for picking the pipe you did? What factors are you looking at?

mikes450r
02-11-2005, 09:01 PM
i agree...i sure alot of people picked the exhaust they have or want..i think everyone should also take in to consideration and half of those pipes on there wouldnt pass a db check if it had too..

mike

chad502ex
02-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Sorry Chad. The last part if your post seemed very sarcastic to me. The "understand now." I'm sure that if you think about it, you can understand how that can sound very sarcastic and like a wise@$$ remark if I can't hear the tone of your voice or any body language. Once again, I really am sorry man, just a misunderstanding and I was just trying to stand up for Boone because I know he's a cool guy.

-The Kid-

thanks kid. boone/BH/kgbg/Luke/wpp/joe1l/370king/tice/mobile dyno/you/ pappy and harlen all seem kewl and are class act.

:cool:

chad502ex
02-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Bad Habit
I would like to throw something in this if I could. This would be for all voters.

I think it would be interesting to take "based on results, which pipe would you buy?" and add "WHY?"

What is your reason for picking the pipe you did? What factors are you looking at?

Dan, if i could shed some light on my take to "WHY?".

to each their own...

not everyone wants the best (as many .org members have made it very clear to me- heh)- most want what they want and not what is told to be the best. Pepsi for some, Coke for others.

I for one like the Classic and not the New Generation!

i know that might have been real corny, but it was my dumb arse attempt at making a connection to the topic.

;)

wppracing
02-12-2005, 04:09 AM
Thanks to oldsandman, Chad502ex, No1sportz, cpolzine and lukester720 for there donations.

Bad Habit
02-12-2005, 07:20 AM
I'll agree with you that everyone should pick their own poison.

not everyone wants the best
This is what I'm curious about......what are the different perceptions of "best"?

Is it peak hp? peak torque? low-end torque? hp at rev limit? etc. etc.

I just think it would be interesting to see what people look for when deciding what is "best" for them.

370kingR
02-12-2005, 07:35 AM
thanks kid. boone/BH/kgbg/Luke/wpp/joe1l/370king/tice/mobile dyno/you/ pappy and harlen all seem kewl and are class act.

:cool:

Well thank you Chad. Here i thought i was a geek! :p :p Im hangin with the cool crowd now!

Everyone loves to mess with Chad :grr:

My vote goes to the Rossier. 1) Sound is very important to me as is the fit and finish. 2) Power has to be comparable to other good performing pipes. 3) Lets not forget price.

Notice what pipe Brian from WPP racing is now using after the test! (in his signiture)

Pappy
02-12-2005, 07:44 AM
thank me:confused: i wasnt there:p

i hope this somewhat controversial test (other thread) is proof enough that atvriders.com is pretty impartial when it comes to tests. i dont even think we had anything to do with this test other then harlen letting it happen on his property.

i still dont know all the details on the background of some of the pipes tested, i hadnt even heard of 2 of them before these threads started popping up. i hope all involved can help in anyway possible to bring atv enthusiests good solid info no matter what pipe you prefer.

chad502ex
02-12-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by 370kingR
Well thank you Chad. Here i thought i was a geek! :p :p Im hangin with the cool crowd now!

Everyone loves to mess with Chad :grr:

My vote goes to the Rossier. 1) Sound is very important to me as is the fit and finish. 2) Power has to be comparable to other good performing pipes. 3) Lets not forget price.

Notice what pipe Brian from WPP racing is now using after the test! (in his signiture)

well, here's my vote:
RE cause i was really impressed with performance, fit, sound, price over the competition in the first shootout.

I'd like to add that my vote wasn't neccessary with sparks, even though i have sparks cause i based my vote with a stock bore setup and not BIG bore.

chad502ex
02-12-2005, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
thank me:confused: i wasnt there:p

i hope this somewhat controversial test (other thread) is proof enough that atvriders.com is pretty impartial when it comes to tests. i dont even think we had anything to do with this test other then harlen letting it happen on his property.

i still dont know all the details on the background of some of the pipes tested, i hadnt even heard of 2 of them before these threads started popping up. i hope all involved can help in anyway possible to bring atv enthusiests good solid info no matter what pipe you prefer.

you were there in spirit! heh.

chad502ex
02-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Is it peak hp? peak torque? low-end torque? hp at rev limit? etc. etc.

I just think it would be interesting to see what people look for when deciding what is "best" for them.

absolutely, maybe now ppl who voted can start chimming in and tell others what makes the pipe "best" for them. I think you'll hear similiar responses
1. performance (top or bottom or peak)
2. fit/finish
3. price
4. here say or rep (marketing)

i guess it depends on what kind of build the buyer is interested in obtaining (torque feel or top end hp feel)

shoot- some ppl buy cause their friends say it's the best.

370kingR
02-12-2005, 12:34 PM
shoot- some ppl buy cause their friends say it's the best. [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL, at first i thought you meant shoot the people that cause their friends to buy a paticular pipe! I was like man thats a bit rough. Then i realized thats must just be a southern phrase. A guy might not have too many friends if he did that.

chad502ex
02-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by 370kingR
LOL, at first i thought you meant shoot the people that cause their friends to buy a paticular pipe! I was like man thats a bit rough. Then i realized thats must just be a southern phrase. A guy might not have too many friends if he did that.

OTFLMFAO!

Airik79mx
02-12-2005, 03:36 PM
Do you guys think if those test had been on a motor with a ported head, valve job, bottom/mid cam, and a FCR carb the results would be different? If yes, what pipe do you think would have the best curve?

Fit and finish means alot to me because I hate getting something good and it don't fit worth a damn.

iceracer65
02-12-2005, 04:15 PM
i cant believe the sparks and pc are beating out the rossier pipe on the poll....die hards i guess

wppracing
02-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Here is the weight for the Pulse Charger and the Rossier Engineering Pipe. I am testing them in detail next Saturday.

wppracing
02-12-2005, 05:06 PM
Rossier Pipe

chad502ex
02-12-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by wppracing
Rossier Pipe

DOOD, I call BS- there is no way that RE weighs 7.0 and the PC weighs 8.2! Is that scale calibrated towards the National Institue of Standards and Technology (NIST) calibration specs?

LOL, just kidding brian.

thanks for the info thats freeg'n awesome information to have

if your quad weighs 400lbs that's one hp loss for every 8.5 lbs (hp/weight ratio of your 47hp 450R). That equates to about 0.2hp in weight difference between the two pipes you refer to. hmmm.

i better switch to light beer:ermm:

TrX450rKiD
02-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Chad, you realize that you don't actualy "lose" HP from more unsprung weight, right? You can throw a 450R engine in a Hummer and it will still make the same HP .. just won't be as effective. But you are right, we would all be better off going on diets to lose weight rather than shave a couple pounds with lighter parts :blah:

-The Kid-

chad502ex
02-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Chad, you realize that you don't actualy "lose" HP from more unsprung weight, right? You can throw a 450R engine in a Hummer and it will still make the same HP .. just won't be as effective. But you are right, we would all be better off going on diets to lose weight rather than shave a couple pounds with lighter parts :blah:

-The Kid-

yes, i know. it was a figure of speech to relate to the "feel" of power "loss" with the added weight.

Airik79mx
02-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Airik79mx
Do you guys think if those test had been on a motor with a ported head, valve job, bottom/mid cam, and a FCR carb the results would be different? If yes, what pipe do you think would have the best curve?

Fit and finish means alot to me because I hate getting something good and it don't fit worth a damn.

Hmmm........No thoughts on this ?:rolleyes:

chad502ex
02-14-2005, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Airik79mx
Hmmm........No thoughts on this ?:rolleyes:

good question. hypathetical (sp?) tho!

yes, different results. i dont' know what pipe would have best curve..:confused:

Ridin' Jesse
02-14-2005, 02:24 PM
HMF...this test set my mind now :D

mikes450r
02-14-2005, 03:21 PM
i hope you dont ride anywhere you get tested for dbs jesse..

Ridin' Jesse
02-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Ive already put thought into this...i ride alot of trails and am thinking about racing..if i have to ill buy the quiet core

mikes450r
02-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Ridin' Jesse
Ive already put thought into this...i ride alot of trails and am thinking about racing..if i have to ill buy the quiet core

yes but if you go with tthe quiet core you will lose alot of power..I would maybe think about one of the ones that made really good power but was also very quiet noise wise...this are just my thought though...

thanks mike

Ridin' Jesse
02-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the input...yeah i was looking at an LRD, but i saw a bunch of people bashing it on here..so that changed my mind..because LRD's meet the new 102 dB standard...they are about 101

One other thing...in their test the Quiet core had more HP? so i dont think i could be going TOO wrong with a q/c

Metzroth
02-14-2005, 05:21 PM
With the quiet core im told it would be a minimal loss in power. I don't understand how they got gains with the quiet core lol. I'll try it both ways when i get mine. HMF makes a great product though. The header is supeer nice. Good welds and they dont look ground down at all either. Anyone know how hard it is to put a ceramic coating on a header? I was thinking about having jetcoat do it for me but thats $80 to have my header coated. It would look super sharp done by them. They have a silverine finish and a jet black finish i'd prolly do black but i dunno.

wppracing
02-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Yes ,but the quiet core isnt made anymore. It was the first version made. The current insert will quiet it down and reduce the power and torque.

Ridin' Jesse
02-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Yeah the thing is i like the sound :D so on the weekends when im trail ridin id prolly take out the Q/C, and when i race i will put it in...which means ill prolly jet to have it w/o the Q/C..n just suffer through when i race which will not be too often

What other pipe would be good?

chad502ex
02-15-2005, 11:34 AM
posted at .org
Update: Brian (wppracing) and John (mixxer) are joining forces in helping us ATV'ers out I just heard so hopefully these types of threads will decline ...

WPPRacing- what is this implying? is your second test still non-biased?

:confused:

wppracing
02-15-2005, 01:31 PM
It doesnt bother me which came out on top. I sell both the RE and PC and will tune them each to there fullest.

chad502ex
02-15-2005, 01:45 PM
It doesnt bother me which came out on top. I sell both the RE and PC and will tune them each to there fullest.

ok, i understand but your answer does not address the "joined forces" question i have.

why won't you answer this? is it a secret?:confused:

wppracing
02-15-2005, 05:24 PM
YOU are reading MORE into it than there is . I didnt join forces but the FACT is the BS about my test and his have stopped between us. No more knit picking . THATS ALL.

chad502ex
02-15-2005, 05:31 PM
YOU are reading MORE into it than there is . I didnt join forces but the FACT is the BS about my test and his have stopped between us. No more knit picking . THATS ALL.

ok

werbegb
02-18-2005, 01:36 AM
I would definitely get White Brothers Carbon exhaust system

Metzroth
02-18-2005, 09:21 AM
yeah i'd pay $700 for an exhaust that isn't as good as the HMF anyday...

devil6
02-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by werbegb
I would definitely get White Brothers Carbon exhaust system why?

mikes450r
02-18-2005, 04:25 PM
i got my rossier exhaust today...now if i could only get my parts to put it back together...i cant wait to hear what it sounds like..we did a dyno on the pc the other day and that pipe sounds sweet...it doesnt sound like the normal pipes we have all heard....

mike

chad502ex
02-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by mikes450r
i got my rossier exhaust today...now if i could only get my parts to put it back together...i cant wait to hear what it sounds like..we did a dyno on the pc the other day and that pipe sounds sweet...it doesnt sound like the normal pipes we have all heard....

mike

what were the details on the dyno you saw?

mikes450r
02-18-2005, 05:17 PM
aahh come on chad we all know how that will end up..we will be dynoing the pc and rossier with the crf cam and the hrc cam next week...i may post those results...when i get them... mike

chad502ex
02-18-2005, 05:51 PM
aahh come on chad we all know how that will end up..we will be dynoing the pc and rossier with the crf cam and the hrc cam next week...i may post those results...when i get them... mike

darn. i was hoping you'd show more mixed up results that we could over analyze for a week then twist the meaning into something more favorable to convince eveyone with.;)

doesn't matter there is the second pipe shootout that will do more of the same.

mikes450r
02-18-2005, 06:52 PM
ya i cant wait to see it tomarrow...i think tomarrows should end all the bs...i think we will know whats what tomarrow..no more but this and but that...you know what i mean...

mike

chad502ex
02-18-2005, 09:01 PM
ya i cant wait to see it tomarrow...i think tomarrows should end all the bs...i think we will know whats what tomarrow..no more but this and but that...you know what i mean...

mike

ya know- it doesn't matter anyway what the outcome is tommorrow. look'n at this poll results it clear what the consensus is.

Bad Habit
02-18-2005, 11:05 PM
ya know- it doesn't matter anyway what the outcome is tommorrow. look'n at this poll results it clear what the consensus is.

The only thing I read off of this "consensus" is that people only look at the peak hp number to determine what the "best" pipe is.

I must not be a very good rider. I still haven't mastered how to ride around only using that 500 rpm range of the motor's peak capacity.

chad502ex
02-19-2005, 06:46 AM
The only thing I read off of this "consensus" is that people only look at the peak hp number to determine what the "best" pipe is.

I must not be a very good rider. I still haven't mastered how to ride around only using that 500 rpm range of the motor's peak capacity.

that is not the consensus you speak of. the consensus is that the voters here in this poll do not prefer the PC over some others.

TrX450rKiD
02-19-2005, 12:53 PM
that is not the consensus you speak of. the consensus is that the voters do not prefer that pipe over others.
They decided that by looking at results from 1 dyno test that had 9 pipes in 2.5 hours ... and only looked at peak #'s. How can you say this pole is legit? The QC HMF had 17 votes because of the peak .. look at the rest of the curve .. it was BY FAR the worst in the shootout ..

C'mon Chad, quit it with the games. I thought we were cool but then you just keep pulling this crap.

-The Kid-

chad502ex
02-19-2005, 02:32 PM
They decided that by looking at results from 1 dyno test that had 9 pipes in 2.5 hours ... and only looked at peak #'s. How can you say this pole is legit? The QC HMF had 17 votes because of the peak .. look at the rest of the curve .. it was BY FAR the worst in the shootout ..

C'mon Chad, quit it with the games. I thought we were cool but then you just keep pulling this crap.

-The Kid-

kid, you'll see soon enough!

and we are kewl kid. all i was saying is that the concensus with the voters choose- not me!

TrX450rKiD
02-19-2005, 05:33 PM
I'll see .. ?

-The Kid-

chad502ex
02-19-2005, 05:41 PM
I'll see .. ?

-The Kid-

stay tuned.

Eddiesanders250
02-19-2005, 06:08 PM
All those pipes suck because they are for the wrong bike. You got the first and last part right (TRX and R) just missing what is in the middle (250, not 450)

TrX450rKiD
02-19-2005, 06:09 PM
You really like those 1-liners, eh? (<-- LOL .. I sound Candian!)

-The Kid-

chad502ex
02-19-2005, 06:13 PM
You really like those 1-liners, eh? (<-- LOL .. I sound Candian!)

-The Kid-

yea- short and sweet and to the point.

:)

mikes450r
02-19-2005, 06:23 PM
the results are in at .org...

here we go again....:D

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/uploads/post-696-1105670947.gif

wppracing
02-19-2005, 07:49 PM
And were off and running:D

mikes450r
02-19-2005, 07:58 PM
sure is quite at .org...http://www.trx450r.org/forum/uploads/post-696-1105671076.gif

chad502ex
02-19-2005, 10:10 PM
well, once again I'd like to thank the folks involve in providing the results of the second shootout. Thanks Brian and Matt!

:devil:

chad502ex
02-19-2005, 11:18 PM
sure is quite at .org...http://www.trx450r.org/forum/uploads/post-696-1105671076.gif

mike your .gifs you attach trip me out LOL!

lukester720
02-20-2005, 05:09 AM
that is not the consensus you speak of. the consensus is that the voters here in this poll do not prefer the PC over some others.

I was under the impression that this was a Pipe shootout not a Pulsecharger vs the others shootout? The title was something like "Based on the results which pipe would you buy" or something to that effect. I think that based on the outcome of the votes that there are a lot of people that do not understand how to properly read a dyno sheet out there. I'm not putting anyone down or anything like that reading dyno sheets is not something taught at school and most people don't know how to make sense of them.;) It is funny that the Sparks got 2nd when in the test it was last place. :eek:

I am not on here to start anything, I have never come here with that intention but I think it would be great if someone with knowledge of dynos made a post about how to properly read a dyno sheet. I don't think its really fair to those that read the results of this thread and run out and buy the HMF quite core or the sparks just because some people voted that those were some of the best around. A lot of people come to these type of forums to find out what parts will work best with their type of riding for maxium performance, some are mx'ers, some are xc'ers, some are duners, some are all the above, some are none of the above. I'm sure that everyone that does not really understand a dyno sheet would really appreciate a thread like that so they can learn to make the desision for themselves and stop throwing money away on parts or in this case pipes that will not fit their specific needs. Lets end the days of "well this one makes the most peak horsepower so it must be the best" and really teach somebody a thing or two before they make their next purchase.:D

Like I said earlier I didn't come here to start anything, I just wanted to make a suggestion that I think people could truely appreciate if it does ever materialize. ;)

mikes450r
02-20-2005, 09:18 AM
hey luke i tottally agree with you...http://www.trx450r.org/forum/uploads/post-696-1105671309.gif i think its mostly people have a certain pipe and sometimes the only pipe they had so thats the best pipe for them. I had been there before. I know when people would ask what the best pipe was. I would tell them i have the sparks and i like it.

Luke i think what the problem with the pulsecharger was there was so much talk about it that everyone assumed it would beat every pipe out there by 10hp. when this didnt happened everyone started nutting up about it. people who have or believen the pc against everyone else. http://www.trx450r.org/forum/uploads/post-696-1105671157.gif I for one think the pc is one of the top exhaust. You cant go wrong with a quiter pipe with a spark arrester and still be at the top with hp and torque. John(mixxer) has got to be happy as hell. With him being the little guy(compared to the other companies) took about 95% of the pipes and smashed them all with his first pipe. http://www.trx450r.org/forum/uploads/post-696-1105671116.gif

also i dont see anything in what you said that should start any arguements here. I kinda wondered about how people were choosen what pipe was the best. You know probaly none of those people picking the hmf qc would have done the same a month ago. Im not sure who it was but somebuddy asked people to post why they picked the exhaust they did. You know list a few reason why you see it as the best. I dont think anyone put any of there thought down. Thats kinda why i think they were still picking the pipes they had. I probably would have done the same.

chad502ex
02-20-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by lukester720
I was under the impression that this was a Pipe shootout not a Pulsecharger vs the others shootout? The title was something like "Based on the results which pipe would you buy" or something to that effect. I think that based on the outcome of the votes that there are a lot of people that do not understand how to properly read a dyno sheet out there. I'm not putting anyone down or anything like that reading dyno sheets is not something taught at school and most people don't know how to make sense of them.;) It is funny that the Sparks got 2nd when in the test it was last place. :eek:

I am not on here to start anything, I have never come here with that intention but I think it would be great if someone with knowledge of dynos made a post about how to properly read a dyno sheet. I don't think its really fair to those that read the results of this thread and run out and buy the HMF quite core or the sparks just because some people voted that those were some of the best around. A lot of people come to these type of forums to find out what parts will work best with their type of riding for maxium performance, some are mx'ers, some are xc'ers, some are duners, some are all the above, some are none of the above. I'm sure that everyone that does not really understand a dyno sheet would really appreciate a thread like that so they can learn to make the desision for themselves and stop throwing money away on parts or in this case pipes that will not fit their specific needs. Lets end the days of "well this one makes the most peak horsepower so it must be the best" and really teach somebody a thing or two before they make their next purchase.:D

Like I said earlier I didn't come here to start anything, I just wanted to make a suggestion that I think people could truely appreciate if it does ever materialize. ;)

very good post Luke! i agreee- it would be nice if someone could teach everyone how to read dyno results.
However, this thread was intended to help that last guy who really don't understand anything about pipe performance make a decision with poll "popularity" results and/or with voter information addition posted within this thread about their experience. didn't you buy a pair of sneakers or a set of tires on popularity? i bet it turned out that you were satified too with those Nike's or Holeshots too, right?

Based on both shootout results and my experience with seeing the first dyno shootout with my own eyes, i was truely impressed with the performance and sound quality of the RE. my sparks will be sold asap to get one of these sweet babies!

Thanks for your input Luke.

Ramsus
02-20-2005, 08:44 PM
very good post Luke! i agreee- it would be nice if someone could teach everyone how to read dyno results.
However, this thread was intended to help that last guy who really don't understand anything about pipe performance make a decision with poll "popularity" results and/or with voter information addition posted within this thread about their experience. didn't you buy a pair of sneakers or a set of tires on popularity? i bet it turned out that you were satified too with those Nike's or Holeshots too, right?

But this is kind of pointless. Seeing as how the popular vote here is made up of kids that are picking which pipe is prettiest and so forth. They have no frame of reference.

TrX450rKiD
02-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Ding, ding, ding .. Ramsus is correct! Some people clicked on this thread a clicked Sparks without reading a d@mn thing! It was one of the worst performers, yet is in 2nd place on the polls!! How does Curtis do itttt!? :rolleyes:

-The Kid-

Hammer trx450r
02-21-2005, 04:10 AM
Ding, ding, ding .. Ramsus is correct! Some people clicked on this thread a clicked Sparks without reading a d@mn thing! It was one of the worst performers, yet is in 2nd place on the polls!! How does Curtis do itttt!? :rolleyes:

-The Kid-

Amazing how the guys stuff is provin sub par yet still everyone loves that name

chad502ex
02-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Ramsus
But this is kind of pointless. Seeing as how the popular vote here is made up of kids that are picking which pipe is prettiest and so forth. They have no frame of reference.

true. i'm not sure what the age group of the voters were here, but i am sure if these "kids" tell their mommy or daddy what pipe they want on their quad their parents are not going to care which is the best- they are going to buy what their kids want.

Why not ask trx450rKid what he voted for, isn't he "the kid"?
;)

TrX450rKiD
02-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Too bad "the kid" paid for his R in full and everything for it ... don't try to attack me Chad ... I don't appreciate it.

Before you say it ... "it wasn't an attack at all!" Right?

-The Kid-

chad502ex
02-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Too bad "the kid" paid for his R in full and everything for it ... don't try to attack me Chad ... I don't appreciate it.

Before you say it ... "it wasn't an attack at all!" Right?

-The Kid-

LOL. easy there litt'l fella. don't burst your viens or ruffle your feathers:mad:

relax

Metzroth
02-21-2005, 08:24 PM
In my experience the older guys I know that are into quads know less than me and I'm 15. Also I'm kinda tired of this mentality that just cause we are young we don't buy our own stuff. I bought my 400ex and everything I've put on it, except I did get the kill switch and tires for christmas. I did Detassling (sp?), mowed lawns, washed cars, and anything else I could do to get money to afford my quad.

chad502ex
02-21-2005, 08:29 PM
In my experience the older guys I know that are into quads know less than me and I'm 15. Also I'm kinda tired of this mentality that just cause we are young we don't buy our own stuff. I bought my 400ex and everything I've put on it, except I did get the kill switch and tires for christmas. I did Detassling (sp?), mowed lawns, washed cars, and anything else I could do to get money to afford my quad.

ok. who are you addressing? wasn't TrX450rKiD and Ramsus the ones saying that kids don't know better? i hope you didn't get that message from me cause i wasn't trying to imply that at all. as a matter of fact, i threw it back on KiD cause he is that too and seems to think he isn't. :confused:

i think he (KiD) likes to post trouble with me and didn't mean anything to you personally. Ramsus, who knows what he meant.

Metzroth
02-21-2005, 11:05 PM
I know someone said something about it and i read it and it annoyed me. I don't know who it was.

TrX450rKiD
02-22-2005, 09:15 PM
Chad ... please show me where I mentioned anything about Kids voting and not knowing what they are talking about? Or anything to that effect ...

Thanks.

-The Kid-

chad502ex
02-23-2005, 06:25 AM
Chad ... please show me where I mentioned anything about Kids voting and not knowing what they are talking about? Or anything to that effect ...

Thanks.

-The Kid-

Originally posted by Ramsus Seeing as how the popular vote here is made up of kids that are picking which pipe is prettiest and so forth.

Originally posted by KiD Ding, ding, ding .. Ramsus is correct!

is this not what you meant?

TrX450rKiD
02-23-2005, 12:49 PM
No, it isn't. What I meant was that the results will NOT be accurate because you have people voting for what is the most popular and prettiest, and from looking at peak #'s (the QC HMF). I guess I should spell it all out next time so no one gets confused.

-The Kid-

chad502ex
02-23-2005, 01:02 PM
No, it isn't. What I meant was that the results will NOT be accurate because you have people voting for what is the most popular and prettiest, and from looking at peak #'s (the QC HMF). I guess I should spell it all out next time so no one gets confused.

-The Kid-

that's ok- you have made yourself clear. Some times ppl can take things and misinterpret the message if it is not clearly presented. That is my problem alot of times. ;)

chad502ex
02-27-2005, 09:36 PM

mike

what's the words on your new pipe?

mikes450r
02-27-2005, 09:38 PM
i will know probably weds..i have to figure out what shims i need tomarrow..then the rest of my parts will be here weds..cant wait its been long time without riding..

mike

allmixedup047
02-27-2005, 11:32 PM
you know what i cant get over is that i would almost bet everything i own that this thread would not be hear if there was no such thing as the PC.

chad502ex
02-28-2005, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by allmixedup047
you know what i cant get over is that i would almost bet everything i own that this thread would not be hear if there was no such thing as the PC.

true. and i would almost bet that the two ppl that "rated this thread" are the two ppl that are not happy about the outcome of the concensus.

garett
02-28-2005, 06:52 PM
no yosh cmon now?

chad502ex
02-28-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by garett
no yosh cmon now?

it would have been great to see that pipe in the shootout, but there were no volunteers to lend a yoshi for the shootout; therefore, it wasn't placed in the poll either.

:(

TrX450rKiD
02-28-2005, 09:16 PM
I don't know who voted .. but why would you give a good rating to a thread that has a obviously inferior pipe (HMF w/ QC) in 3rd place!?!?! It should have ZERO votes! People are voting blindly .. the results of this poll should be NEGLECTED. My $.02 .. w/e

-The Kid-

iceracer65
02-28-2005, 09:46 PM
the hmf and sparks are still way ahead of rossier...a pipe thats cheaper, makes more power, and is quieter?:o :rolleyes:

what a friggin joke!:mad:

Hammer trx450r
03-01-2005, 03:46 AM
I don't know who voted .. but why would you give a good rating to a thread that has a obviously inferior pipe (HMF w/ QC) in 3rd place!?!?! It should have ZERO votes! People are voting blindly .. the results of this poll should be NEGLECTED. My $.02 .. w/e

-The Kid-

People follow people and products because they trust in them, They buy pipes because they heard one at the track and they want that sound to come from there bike. Noone buys them for their dyno #'s,because noone trusts dynos.

Hammer trx450r
03-01-2005, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Hammer trx450r
People follow people and products because they trust in them, They buy pipes because they heard one at the track and they want that sound to come from there bike. Noone buys them for their dyno #'s,because noone trusts dynos.

By the way I personally put my stock pipe on over my TC. We are losing areas to ride by the day so we all have to start thinking about noise levels. I sure had fun ripping through my snowy neiborhood last night with stocker on:blah:

chad502ex
03-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Hopefully in the next shootout PC vs. Rossier the record will be set straight, and all the info will be publicly available for everyone to see.

what is your opinion of the second shootout Boone? just curious if you changed your viewpoint after the second shootout,...

um, i'm not trying to be an arse about this either!

chad502ex
03-01-2005, 10:41 AM
the poll end date is almost upon us. here is the concensus thus far:

HMF w/ quiet Core 20 9.01%
Baldwin 8 3.60%
Rossier 24 10.81%
HMF 68 30.63%
Pulse Charger 34 15.32%
Stealth Charger 2 0.90%
Sparks 48 21.62%
NMotion 6 2.70%
WB carbon 12 5.41%
Total: 222 votes 100%

Moto92
03-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Would anyone happen to have a video from the track or anywhere with the Rossier on an R. Im just curious as to what sound this pipe is putting out. My new R is only a week old and she needs to breathe.