PDA

View Full Version : 250r Problems????

jk250r
02-06-2005, 12:04 PM
This is my first 250r, and i am building it from the ground up!!! I am a little worried about it because i am not to familiar with 2 strokes. Is their anything that i should do or not do to make sure that my 250r stays healthy and relliable??? I have a 295 pro-x big bore motor and my biggest fear is that it will not be reliable!! The last thing i want is to be out riding and have my quad not start (breakdown)!!! please give me any helpful hints or let me know if i am in for a BIG HEADACHE!!!!! I have always ridden 4 strokes so i am clueless as to what to expect from a 250r!!!! Make sure to explain in detail!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

thanks, josh

8dave3
02-06-2005, 12:21 PM
As far as 2 strokes go the R based motors are pretty reliable.Just get it setup for your kind of riding.Make sure the cooling system is in good working order,the carb is jetted properly,and check the motor mount bolts ocassionally.When its all said and done,the maint on a 2 stroke isnt all that much more than a 4 stroke if you do both properly.You got to change oil on both,air cleaner cleaned,and etc.the 4 strokes have valves to adjust and timing chains to worry about,2 strokes need rings more often and are less forgiving on carb settings.They both need fuel,air,spark,and compression to run.