PDA

View Full Version : Tqra

OCCRA288
05-01-2002, 12:31 PM
how's the competition in all the open classes? Pro, 4stroke, Intermediate, Amateur? I want to start racing this series and was wondering what class i should go in.

Razorback
05-01-2002, 12:54 PM
i've only raced once in the tqra (and it was my first race ever), but there were good riders in every class. i had intended to ride in beginner and 4 stroke open, but i got signed up in amateur and 4 stroke open. the beginner class doesn't allow any double or triple jumping, although the class was pretty good last week, so they let people do doubles, so that may vary race to race.

the amateur was a pretty tough class, and some of the guys (and gals too!) should have probably been moved up, but that's just my opinion. the intermediate was the smallest class with nine riders, but like i said, some of the amateur riders probably should have been in that class. 4 stroke open is probably the most competitive class overall with several excellent riders, who aren't far from being in the pro class.

the pro class was a whole other world. of course, your buddy, Johnny Hale was in it, but he had everyone beat by 1/3 of a lap or so, but there wasn't a bad rider in that bunch.

so, all that being said, i guess it's just whatever you're comfortable with. from my standpoint, there are no "easy" classes, and there's probably some sandbagging going on. also, probably 80-85% of the riders had quads setup for mx, and only a few stock or slightly above stock machines. lots of 400ex and 250rs, a few banshees, and only a couple of raptors, and not much else. you've already race before, right? so, you could probably just use your existing skills as a guide, but amateur, intermediate, or 4 stroke open, would probably be good. if you can keep within a half a lap of Johnny, then maybe you should try pro, but once you race in the pro class, i don't think they'll let you move down.

whew, sorry for the long response. hope this helps. all this is just my opinion, maybe another tqra rider will chime in. hope to see you at the next race.

OCCRA288
05-01-2002, 01:35 PM
He didn't show up yesterday. WE didn't get to ride at cooperland's either. So we went to the track by the interstate and rode. Me my sister two other sponsored riders and our sponsor decided to go for two laps. We started out and I was in 2nd off the line. I passed on the first lap and led for the entire race. I was pulling away from second place at the beginning of the second lap. But anyways I've never raced real motocross so I'll prolly go either 4stroke Open or Intermediate.

BTW do you know a guy named Adam Miller? He races TQRA, and is one of the guys i rode with yesterday.

Razorback
05-01-2002, 02:04 PM
that's too bad johnny didn't show up.

i don't know adam, but looking at the results of the races, he raced intermediate and finished 6th and 9th in the motos, so that's pretty solid. should give you some idea of what class would be good for you.

OCCRA288
05-01-2002, 08:07 PM
WEll I beat Adam by about three bike lengths yesterday so I'll prolly intrude on his class a little. If i do well i go on to pro. I race XC pro locally as well but i think this is my last season.