PDA

View Full Version : 250r vs. yfz or trx450R

Eddiesanders250
02-05-2005, 11:58 PM
250r are better than yfz's

Rich250RRacer
02-06-2005, 09:12 AM
That's all you got? That's a hell of way to start a big arguement on here.

beerock
02-06-2005, 02:06 PM
true, but they are better:devil:

etter696
02-06-2005, 04:25 PM
250's are better. but i still plan on purchasing a 450 just to c what the hypes about, otherwise i will buy another predator:devil:

lonestar262r
02-06-2005, 04:47 PM
19 years and they still havent duplicated the 250r.....they couldnt match it or beat it so they outlawed it!!!!!!! the yfz or 450r are nothing better......just easier to ride for the novice.

ckasper18
02-06-2005, 04:55 PM
There both great machines but i like my trx450r best.The trx250r is an awesome machine but if you take stock to stock machines the new 450r has way more technology and easier to ride even for highly expierienced riders.........Chris

beerock
02-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by ckasper18
There both great machines but i like my trx450r best.The trx250r is an awesome machine but if you take stock to stock machines the new 450r has way more technology and easier to ride even for highly expierienced riders.........Chris

your kidding right?

i suppose the technology in the 450 swinger is better then the r?

the only technology that makes the 450 better is the double bearing on the sprocket side of the carrier....

ckasper18
02-07-2005, 06:37 AM
well everyone has there own opionion but i like the power transfer better to the ground suspension is better.They both handle great and have plenty of power.I should have by next year or so the 250r all restored to new but my priority right now are the 1970 us/atc90s that i am restoring then the73 atc70 comes next.Just a few of the 14 Honda atc/quads i have.now.I really like the 250r quads i owned 8 of them in my life time but i still like the crf houser quad best then the trx450r then the 250r.The 400ex now has long travel and dialed in pretty nice and my daughter just loves it.

exrider44
02-07-2005, 09:58 AM
All I have to say is keep turning wrenches lol I can keep going out and ride with my 4 stroke. Id rather be riding then sitting in the garage most of the time.jmo

250rpilot
02-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by exrider44
All I have to say is keep turning wrenches lol I can keep going out and ride with my 4 stroke. Id rather be riding then sitting in the garage most of the time.jmo

if a 250r is in good condition to start with, it requires no more maintenance than a new 450. the only thing i could see is a set of rings twice in a race season on the 250 or once on the 450, but that one time on the 450 will cost you 3 times as much. i NEVER have to wrok on my quad when im done riding. wash it, grease it, change the tranny oil, and put it away. thats it.

exrider44
02-07-2005, 01:19 PM
I wasnt directing it towards you I was busting my buddy beerocks b@lls. lol I never have to work on my 450r. Never had to on my 400ex either. Just oil changes and thats it. You have to admit 4 smokes are more reliable for the most part.

beerock
02-07-2005, 06:31 PM
I wasnt directing it towards you I was busting my buddy beerocks b@lls. lol I never have to work on my 450r. Never had to on my 400ex either. Just oil changes and thats it. You have to admit 4 smokes are more reliable for the most part.

hehehehe yea yea any pro wears a 4 stroke out in the same amount of time as a 2 stroke, but their mechanics have to adjust the valves, adjust replace the timing chain check the camshaft, and lifters. maint on a 2 stroke, change the wrist pin bearing, piston and rings. takes about half hour to change if your good.

hold your 4 banger wot for 9 days and well see if it needs maintinence.

I love the 4 bangers gotta give em credit. but 2 storke is the only way to go!IMHO

wilkin250r
02-07-2005, 06:39 PM
That's absurd. If you're racing, ANY motor needs constant maintenance, whether 2stroke or 4.

If you're not racing, yes, 2 strokes generally require more maintenance. But me personally, I like my quad, and I have fun maintaining it. And I always plan it accordingly, so it NEVER keeps me from riding. I do all my wrenching BEFORE crunch time.

Anybody that spouts off about the maintenance advantage of a 4-stroke is either lazy, or just too dumb to maintain their motor properly. :blah:

beerock
02-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

Anybody that spouts off about the maintenance advantage of a 4-stroke is either lazy to maintain their motor properly. :blah:

:eek2:

JTRtrx250r
02-07-2005, 07:20 PM
That's absurd. If you're racing, ANY motor needs constant maintenance, whether 2stroke or 4.

If you're not racing, yes, 2 strokes generally require more maintenance. But me personally, I like my quad, and I have fun maintaining it. And I always plan it accordingly, so it NEVER keeps me from riding. I do all my wrenching BEFORE crunch time.

Anybody that spouts off about the maintenance advantage of a 4-stroke is either lazy, or just too dumb to maintain their motor properly. :blah: BAM!....IN YOUR NECKS!:D :blah:

Wilk always says it how it is!:D

The thing is... I just love the R, still has that stout look that all others dont compare IMO, and can be an extremely versital unit, they handle KILLER!, and have a good motor for what it is, fairly light/agile, and their cheaper to mod,....and that doesn't include the cost of new quad.

I still want a 4stroke b/c I like both, but they can get to be just as $pendy and require just as much work/maintainence

:blah:

exrider44
02-08-2005, 08:04 AM
b we both arent pro racers lets face it. We ride for fun. so that comment about pros thats out the window. We are talking about recreational riding here

wilkin250r said-"If you're not racing, yes, 2 strokes generally require more maintenance."

JTRtrx250r-"Anybody that spouts off about the maintenance advantage of a 4-stroke is either lazy, or just too dumb to maintain their motor properly "

JTRtrx250r-Sorry I may not know as much as you about motors but lazy? No need for putdowns. Some people have more knowledge then others in specific things. I was talkin to B cause he isnt around to ride.

Recreational riding is what Im getting at. Some like 2 stroke some like 4 stroke. If you read what I wrote i was talkin to my buddy B bustin chops cause hes never ready to ride. Hes always in the garage and Ive been riding pretty much every weekend now for monthsnow and Im still waiting for him to come along. :rolleyes:

JTRtrx250r
02-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Yo cheez, I wasnt the 1 that said it...I just agree'd w/ it, why do I get quoted twice for quoatin' once? haha

Your units new...thats why you dont have to do anything but wait for Bee', I know all to well how simple and easy it is to go riding 4strokes, check oil,add gas and go.

Fact is , alotta ppl ride 4strokes b/c of low maintainence, but in the end ...it costs them just as much to rebuild, if not more, thats just how I see it, no putting anyone down b/c they dont agree w/ me, thats pretty lame, so Im not sure where you get that coming from me:confused:

And dude....if I knew all about motors, I sure as hell wouldnt be sitting here ;) I know lots, but even close to most:ermm:

papatrx
02-08-2005, 09:37 AM
I have been playing with these two strokes for some time now and the things I have noticed about the two are:

Two strokes are way more finiky with jetting, I adjust mine all the time with changes in temperature and elevation mostly while the four stoke guys I ride with don't have to mess with it.

I change rings in all my bikes usually every year, this makes the bores last way longer, but the price on parts for my four stroke buddies engines are fairly pricy.

Yes they love to give me crap because I am always adjusting or changing something, but that's what I love to do...most two stroke guys I know love to wrench. The more time we spend wrenching the more we are learning.

I think the four stroke performance market is just starting to really take off and prices will get more competitive which is better for all. Nothing I love more than to see a four stroke guy with a wrench in his hand because in our camp it's a rare thing...

Even in our camp the two stroke, four stroke battle continues on today just like the ford and chevy guys. All I know is that occasionally one of our bikes will break down in the dunes and the first thing I look for is one of my four stroke buddies with a strap.....

exrider44
02-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Im here for the same reason you are to learn

ca'mon buck! I just like to mess with B hes one of my close friends just tryin to get his blood goin so we can ride soon hehe.

JTRtrx250r
02-08-2005, 10:52 AM
well I do know Bee's R is about as bad *** as they can get:macho :macho

I thought he said he smoked a motor at Glamis( easy to do in sand) and w/ the $$ he's got into it...Im sure he just wants to be sure its good to go;) :cool: For some reason...my R has been just as reliable as my ol 350x was. the only time it didnt start was b/c I forgot to put the plug cap back on:o :p :D

I will say Im not agaist 4strokes at all, Ive had a few good ones and at the end of a hard days riding...I actually like to jump on em', the whiplash isn't as intense haha

My fav is Honda, but I'll ride anything wether 2 or 4, or bike or quad:blah: ;)

and YES...I love to learn, just not the hard way haha:D

wilkin250r
02-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Anybody that spouts off about the maintenance advantage of a 4-stroke is either lazy, or just too dumb to maintain their motor properly. :blah:

This philosophy can be applied to just about ANYTHING in life. People constantly whine about money, how they can barely cover their bills, so they don't have enough left over to fix their quad or truck if it breaks down. But when they DO have a little extra, they blow it, buy a new stereo or big-screen TV.

Same with maintenance. If you just go out riding all the time, never giving a thought to your motor until something breaks, you're a moron. Things wear out inside your motor. If they wear too far, they break, that's the way it works. The key is to replace worn parts BEFORE they break. It's like setting your money aside for a rainy day. Plan your maintenance in advance, set aside a day to rebuild your top end, BEFORE it breaks, and preferably BEFORE you need it for a race or a riding trip with your buddies. That way, when the day comes that you need your motor, it's nice and fresh for you!

If you just want to put gas in your machine and go, that's fine. If you don't ever want to spend any time wrenching your engine to keep it running at peak performance, thats fine. If you don't EVER want to work on your engine, that's your prerogative. Just realize, that's the very definition of lazy.

As for the dumb part, I'll use a personal example. I would never buy a 2-stroke for my girlfriend. She can't maintain it, she doesn't have the mechanical skills. As much as I love my girlfriend, she's just too dumb to maintain her motor properly.

exrider44
02-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Yeah b's bike is def bad arse! I just want to rip I just get impatient sometimes. He should be done soon ice racing should be next week I think by our area. woohoo!

beerock
02-08-2005, 05:37 PM
b we both arent pro racers lets face it. We ride for fun. so that comment about pros thats out the window. We are talking about recreational riding here

I dont consider the way i ride recreational. 5th gear WOT over whoops, flying down tight trails in 6th gear and climbing 10 foot story hills that are 80 degrees straight up aint recreational. its more like EXTREME. I put just as much abuse on my motor as a pro does. mayeb even more, they dont ride for 8 hours a day.

thats it the next time we go riding you have to let jen know your out for the night as well. all sat day and night. lets see you tell me its recreational then!:eek2: :p