PDA

View Full Version : pulse charger ride report

jeepnrocks
02-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Finally got too spend a day of riding with the pulsecharger and I have to say I am extremely impressed with the entire exhaust from packaging to performance.
First i'll start with the fit and finsih of the pipe. The quality of this exhaust is outstanding as most of you already know. My friend installed the exhaust while I was at work this morning and commented on how well the header fit into the head. The only problem he encountered wasn't really a problem but just a matter of needing an extra set of hands. The strap for the back of the pipe has tension built into it and you use a spacer also. His only problem was he couldn't hold the spacer and the wrench while lining everything up. Once I got there it took all of 3 seconds for us to get the pipe bolted down. As I said everything lined up and fit perfectly it was just a matter of needing an extra set of hands.
My setup consists of a 13:1 Je piston, and the hrc kit. The quad fired to life on the second kick and I was off for a quick spin. The sound was awesome in my opinion, sounded kind of like a snarl. It was louder than the hrc but it wasn't obnoxious like some exhausts I have heard.I would say it is definitely quiter than the sparks on my buddies 400ex. Anyhow, I spent about 2 minutes on the bike before it was apparent that i would no longer be needing the 13 tooth front as I was bouncing off the limiter like crazy. I changed back to the 14 tooth and headed out for a few hours of riding. I was amazed at the differnce the exhaust made to what i already thought was a potent setup.
Now I don't have another exhaust to compare to, so all I can offer is my impressions of this one. One thing that was still evident with the 14 tooth is that there was no drop off in power signaling me to shift and I still bounced off the limiter quite a bit. The quad just keeps pulling.. and pulling hard nonetheless.The torque amazed me, especially since i swithched back to the 14t front. You were able to lug in 2nd and hit the throttle and it would just take off. I also experimented REALLY lugging the motor in 2nd gear. I was almost at a crawl and ready to stall out and was able to power out of it. This would have killed my setup before even with the 13 tooth. We also spent some time at the ash piles taking turns on the quad and just getting used to the new found power. You can get very good traction in ash and I was amazed at how this quad would take off when it hooked up. It literally felt like it was going to pull my arms off. The torque was incredible, as soon as the bike found traction it just took off like a rocket. I feel that my setup as it stands is going to be a potent combo for racing the harescramble series this year. The ability to have the higher stock gearing along with being able to easily lug the quad is going to be very beneficial. In short all I can sayis this pipe absolutely screams and I could not be happier right now. Excellent job on a quality product that I feel lives up to the hype and then some !
Now for some notes and pictures :)
I did have a lot of backfirng on decel, but this was happening prior to the exhaust, just not quite as much. I have ordered a 50 pilot jet to see if that helps.
I didn't touch the air fuel ratio or the clip position. I don't know too much about jetting but I'm trying to get some info now and it was recommended to adjust my air fuel screw rich 1 turn. I think I'm jetted pretty good but still have room for improvement. I would like to try the 165 main tomorrow and see if i notice any differences.
I am in no way affiliated with mixxer other than thru him answering some performance questions for me and him asking me to help with the testing of his exhaust. I have nothing to gain or lose by saying I thought this pipe was top notch. One would be more likely to lie if they had spent good money on something and it didnt perform well, just to protect their pride.

Now for some pics...
Here she is :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/jeepnrocks/pulsecharger/pcfull.jpg

Picture of the head pipe

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/jeepnrocks/pulsecharger/header1.jpg

Picture of the can

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/jeepnrocks/pulsecharger/pcclose.jpg

Smoking the packing right after a quick ride :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/jeepnrocks/pulsecharger/smoke1.jpg

Pulsecharger after a few hours of testing her out... I cant wait to go for a hard ride tomorrow :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/jeepnrocks/pulsecharger/DSC01996.jpg

450Racer
02-05-2005, 11:15 PM
sounds awesome. i probably would have gotten one but i got 50% off from Big Gun and...lets just say i got the deal on a new full system :cool: my current power with the HMF blows. i hate it. it has like 40 lb torque at like 3,500 with peak at 4,000 hp. it really sucks for MX. i can't wait to get the Big Gun. i wish i could get this pipe though, i'd really love to see how it performs. sounds sweet though. is it heavy? looks pretty beify. wonder if it's any lighter than OEM.

jeepnrocks
02-05-2005, 11:19 PM
its lighter than stock, i believe it weighs 9 pounds.