PDA

View Full Version : triton vs powerstroke

kicken250x
02-05-2005, 06:13 PM
which is better? im looking into a new truck and i cant decide between the triton or powerstroke power? which do yall like better? which gets better gas mileage? which has more torque? i think im leaning towards the diesel power but id like a 2nd opinion.

300ex_rider1121
02-05-2005, 06:34 PM
get diesel .........powerstroke

nosliw
02-05-2005, 06:35 PM
diesel

EPDP99
02-05-2005, 07:30 PM
i have the triton v10 and i get 12mpg but only 10 on freeway, towing or empty. 430 gears though. I would get the diesel though. average mpg is a ton better, engine life is outrageous, only downside is maintenance costs are more expensive.

416exmx
02-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by kicken250x
which is better? im looking into a new truck and i cant decide between the triton or powerstroke power? which do yall like better? which gets better gas mileage? which has more torque? i think im leaning towards the diesel power but id like a 2nd opinion.

Q: Which is better?
A: Depends what you are doing with it.
----First of all take personal preference into consideration. Second if you are going to be pulling a trailer over 40% of the time i'd get the power stroke

Q: which do yall like better?
A: Power stroke
----I've had both and I liked the power stroke better

Q: which gets better gas mileage?
A: Triton (diesels get fuel mileage) lol
----If you are talking about the 5.4L triton you will be looking at about 15mpg on average. The power stroke will average about the same but right now gas is .20 cents cheaper.

Q: which has more torque?
A: Power stroke (525 lb-ft pounds of torque ((7.3L)))
---Don’t know on the triton but DEFINATLY the power stroke has more torque

kicken250x
02-05-2005, 07:41 PM
i have a buddy with a triton V10 f250 and i think it sounds like crap. i just decided to a new truck in the last about week and a half so i havent had a chance to talk to him about it yet. ive always wanted a diesel truck and unless someone can come up with some good reasons not to get one then im gonna be driving a F-250 hopefuly within 6 months:D

nosliw
02-05-2005, 07:43 PM
the new 6.0L powerstrokes have been having a lot of injector problems. a friend has one and it's pretty unreliable. in and out of the dealership at least once a month. that's why i got a duramax diesel. also it's got 605ftlbs compared to fords 525 ;)

03dynasty
02-05-2005, 07:50 PM
The gm 6.6l makes more power but I think I've heard of the heads warping. Also the gm is a few thousand dollars more, trust my I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it because I'm definately a chevy guy.

nosliw
02-05-2005, 07:53 PM
go to dieselplace.com

they have a lot of info about the dmax and i havent read one case of someones aluminum heads warping (some guys have 300,000+ miles on their trucks already also)

kicken250x
02-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
the new 6.0L powerstrokes have been having a lot of injector problems. a friend has one and it's pretty unreliable. in and out of the dealership at least once a month. that's why i got a duramax diesel. also it's got 605ftlbs compared to fords 525 ;)

its not going to be a new truck off the show room floor its gonna be a few years old, 99 or so. i was also kinda looking at a chevy 2500, but i like the look of the f 250's better. the new silverados are NNIICCEE but i cant pull the 30,000+ for the new bodystyle like i would want. ive also been looking at a 80's model scottsdale. a guy i know has one and its VERY nice (no rust, lifted, new paint, etc) and hes has a little over half what im going to be dumping for a newer f250 and its just as reliable.

450rGuy78
02-05-2005, 08:13 PM
If you are going to be pulling a trailer a lot, definatly get the powerstroke. I have a 5.4 Triton Expedition and get about 14 mpg HWY, and about 11 to 12 when I've got a trailer full of quads. Really wish I had a p-stoke Excursion. But on the plus side, the 5.4 has a considerable amount of power. It's heavy its self before you even load it, but it hauls up the hills pretty good even when loaded. I thinks the specs on the 5.4 are 265 horse/330 ft lbs torque. It's also 330ci.

My 2 cents.....

Triton or Powerstroke either way.......as long as it's got Ford on the grill, you can't go wrong!

bulkdriverlp
02-05-2005, 08:30 PM
if your buying a new truck buy it right the first time or you'll be sorry.

POWERSTROKE:blah:

quadryder
02-05-2005, 09:26 PM
def. get the powerstroke.

EPDP99
02-05-2005, 09:30 PM
if you are buying one a couple years old dont get the chevy. they had bunches of problems early on. and the v-10 sounding bad does it have exhaust(im assuming it does)? But there has been alot of complaints on the sound when the exhaust is changed mostly with flowmaster. I have a magna flow 3in in and a single 3in out that is 18in long(dont remember model number) but it sound really good. alot of people have asked how i got my v-10 to sound so good compared to theirs(not to brag) but remember it will not sound like a v-8 because it fires so quickly. dont get me wrong i love my v-10 but a diesel would be the way to go IMO.

kicken250x
02-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by EPDP99
if you are buying one a couple years old dont get the chevy. they had bunches of problems early on. and the v-10 sounding bad does it have exhaust(im assuming it does)? But there has been alot of complaints on the sound when the exhaust is changed mostly with flowmaster. I have a magna flow 3in in and a single 3in out that is 18in long(dont remember model number) but it sound really good. alot of people have asked how i got my v-10 to sound so good compared to theirs(not to brag) but remember it will not sound like a v-8 because it fires so quickly. dont get me wrong i love my v-10 but a diesel would be the way to go IMO.

im not too sure if it has an exhaust system or not. ill ask him when i get a chance to talk to him. i reckon hearing "get a diesel" got a man who owns a v10 is enough to make me get the diesel! thanks a lot for all your help everyone! now looks like i get to start the seemingly never ending hunt for a new truck:o

EPDP99
02-05-2005, 10:34 PM
i have plenty of power and it does great but ive always wanted the diesel and my bro has an 03 7.3. it pulls great especially with the 4.30 gears. I just want the diesel. that much hp and tq you cant go wrong. If you go v-10 get an 02. they have the new higher hp and tq #'s. I havent driven one of these only mine so you might want to do that before you decide. another reason i like the diesel is if you get a tuner(superchips) you just reprogram whereas i would have to have to run 91 in mine. plus i love the smoke:D

Screamin440
02-06-2005, 07:25 AM
Have you thought about an older Cummins with a 6 speed? Dodge trucks got a bad rap in the early 90s with their light duty(1500 series) trucks but their 2500 and 3500 trucks never had any tranny problems to speak of. While the 46RE isn't the world's greatest tranny and it does have some problems, I think the main failure point on them is people over working a 1/2 ton and they wind up overheating the tranny fluid and burning the trans up. For example: I had a guy come in *****ing about his 97 360 equipped 2500. He was complaining because he was having trouble towing 10,000lbs of rock! :rolleyes: The truck's suspension and brakes were more than capable of doing the job but he's asking a 250hp/350lbs of torque motor to tow that much, on top of a truck that already weighs 6,000lbs.

BTW on a Dodge truck equipped with a 360, no matter what ton it is, you'll still be getting a 1/2 ton transmission because the 47RE(the V10 and diesel trans) won't bolt up to it.

Bush0102
02-06-2005, 08:57 AM
If money is an issue, just remember you are going to pay thousands more for the powerstroke. If money isn't an issue, get the powerstroke.

Rich250RRacer
02-06-2005, 09:19 AM
If you're looking to get the right truck, don't buy one of those F*ggy, homo, sh--box Fords :D.

Same for Dodge, there's only one thing they're gonna Ram :rolleyes:

chucked
02-06-2005, 09:30 AM
if someone would put a perkins engine in a truck it would be top dog.

Bush0102
02-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by chucked
if someone would put a perkins engine in a truck it would be top dog.

Yeah, that would be badass as hell...

Perkins Diesel >*

i heard that Ford had bought the rights to Cummins and Dodge was going to switch to Cat Diesels

chucked
02-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Bush0102
Yeah, that would be badass as hell...

Perkins Diesel >*

i heard that Ford had bought the rights to Cummins and Dodge was going to switch to Cat Diesels

i also heard that, but i also heard it was a b/s rumor??? but a cat diesel would kick *** even more!

Derag2
02-06-2005, 11:18 AM
You can't get an older dodge with a 6spd the 6spd only came with the 24V and the older dodges were 12Valves. And Ford doesn't own cummins the dodge cummins partnership is good for a long while and same of the ford international partnership. And Cat has already stated they have no interest in building a diesel that will go into a pickup.

The new 6.0 have more that 525ft/lbs (7.3 rating) Its still not 605 or 600 like cummins and the duramax its like 570 but the 6.0 still is faster in the quarter loaded and unloaded that both the cummins and the Duramax, go figure. I don't think you can go wrong with either the 7.3 powerstroke or the V10. I have the powerstroke and my stepdad has the V10. Gas mileage is very bad with the V10 aboud 12 highway is about it.

With my stroker i get 17-18 highway 14-15 in town and 13-14 when towing.

I'm assuming EPDP99 must have the towboss package which is the only way to get 4:30 gears in a SD stock. Most will come with 3.73 and some with 4.10's If your towing alot id get the 4.10 unless its heavy duty then get the towboss package.

Just like someone else said as long as its ford you can't go wrong.

If your going with a SD DO NOT get the 5.4 triton it just don't have the pep to be in a truck like a Superduty.

chucked
02-06-2005, 11:21 AM
my buddy has a 2003 f-250 (not sure if its the new one or not) he put a chip, intake and exhaust on it and he gets about 20 highway, 15-17 in town

Chef
02-06-2005, 11:33 AM
We have an 04 F250 Powerstroke with the 6.0l. We got a predator tuner for it, MBRP 4" exhaust and an intake, and that thing hauls as$. It will easily smoke the 35-12.50s anytime you want it to. Gets 16.5 mpg average.

Derag2
02-06-2005, 11:36 AM
If you put a chip or a tuner on a diesel you need to put gauges on it..... Pyrometer (exhaust gas temps) Boost and Tranny temp..... And on the 7.3 if you upgrade the intake ( i made a homemade style) exhaust ( i got 3.5Downpipe and 4inch exhaust) you'll need to upgrade the compressor wheel which will cost your 69 bucks and about 3 hours of time. This is my next step with my truck. Then after that i might look into a tuner.

WhiteBros400ex
02-06-2005, 02:41 PM
I say you deff gowith the powerstroke desil.:D :macho

Screamin440
02-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Derag2
You can't get an older dodge with a 6spd the 6spd only came with the 24V and the older dodges were 12Valves. And Ford doesn't own cummins the dodge cummins partnership is good for a long while and same of the ford international partnership.

When I said older I meant 2000 or so. Ford did buy out Cummins and they tried to cancel Dodge's contract with them. It went to court and a judge forced Ford to honor the contract in between Dodge and Cummins.

Derag2
02-06-2005, 09:06 PM
How many years ago was that? Because ford hasn't had any part in cummins for a long while

rich@axeracing.
02-07-2005, 05:44 AM
niether !!!!

CUMMINS ALL THE WAY !!!!!

I DONT SEE A POWERSTROKE IN A SEMI ?

I DONT SEE A TRITON IN A SEMI?

I WONDER WHY :macho

Derag2
02-07-2005, 06:20 AM
bud a semi and a pickup truck are pretty different. The cummins you put in a pickup aint even close in size to whats in a semi....

V8 diesels make just as much power as the cummins and last just as long.

rich@axeracing.
02-07-2005, 06:43 AM
REALLY ? HOW SO ?

Legbone85
02-07-2005, 06:46 AM
BUY A CUMMINS!:devil:

rich@axeracing.
02-07-2005, 06:48 AM
THATS WHAT IM SAYIN :macho

Derag2
02-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Well first of all a semi will pull 90,000 lbs and a truck cannot........ ANd the cummins they put in a pickup couldn't even budge 90,000 were talking on a pickup scale not what motor is in a semi. For a pickup you can't go wrong with any of the 3 there all 3 good motors and all 3 have there problems. I'm a ford guy and trust that the powerstroke gets the job done and will be reliable. And so far the powerstrokes i have been around get do exactly that.

Chef
02-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by rich@axeracing.
niether !!!!

CUMMINS ALL THE WAY !!!!!

I DONT SEE A POWERSTROKE IN A SEMI ?

I DONT SEE A TRITON IN A SEMI?

I WONDER WHY :macho

Cummins is junk in Trucks too...ALOT more people like Cat. Cummins is low on horsepower, and low on longevity, and is going low on business.

Chanman420q
02-07-2005, 10:35 PM
my dad has the 5.4 trition in his f150 and that motor is more than capable.

as far as the v10 i dont see a reason for it when you can get the desial. They make about the same power but the deisal gets better gas milage. my buddys dad has the v10 f350 and they get about 6-8mpg city and maybe 9-10 on the highway.

EPDP99
02-08-2005, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
my dad has the 5.4 trition in his f150 and that motor is more than capable.

as far as the v10 i dont see a reason for it when you can get the desial. They make about the same power but the deisal gets better gas milage. my buddys dad has the v10 f350 and they get about 6-8mpg city and maybe 9-10 on the highway.

Whats his have done to it. I get 12 city and 10 highway. yes, its opposite but i have 4.30 gears, exhaust, intake, banks trans command, lifted on 35's.

Derag2
02-08-2005, 06:23 AM
Having 4.30 gears and 35inch tires pretty much puts your back to 3.73 gears so i don't see how they can be opposite.

Ford has the V10 for people who don't want a diesel, who don't want to put up with everything that goes with a diesel, and the diesel option is about 5g's more than a V10.

Why does chevy have the 8.1 when they have a diesel????

Chanman420q
02-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by EPDP99
Whats his have done to it. I get 12 city and 10 highway. yes, its opposite but i have 4.30 gears, exhaust, intake, banks trans command, lifted on 35's.

nothing. he has a cover on the bed and nerf bars but other than that nothing. He bought it because hes a project manager for a construction company. and he mentioned something that he gets like 15-18mpg. the way you drive the truck has a lot to do with the way you drive it. hes easy on it. old man driving basicly.

and i was wondering the same thing about the 8.1 i dont think ive seen or heard of anyone having the 8.1 liter. that must be a real pig on gas

Derag2
02-09-2005, 06:23 AM
the 8.1 gets about the same as the ford V10......... I dont think its doing as well as chevy thought cause there tossing it for a 7.? liter V10. and dodge i think dumped there V10 all together and is using the hemi........ Which is stupid but its a dodge so who knows.

TRX250X
02-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Derag2
Well first of all a semi will pull 90,000 lbs and a truck cannot........ ANd the cummins they put in a pickup couldn't even budge 90,000 were talking on a pickup scale not what motor is in a semi. For a pickup you can't go wrong with any of the 3 there all 3 good motors and all 3 have there problems. I'm a ford guy and trust that the powerstroke gets the job done and will be reliable. And so far the powerstrokes i have been around get do exactly that.

Not trying to contradict you about what a truck will pull, but we've pulled over 50,000 lbs. with our 6.0 liter Powerstroke on the farm. That's usually just going a mile or two down the road to our grain system, but it will do it. We pulled over 30,000 lbs of grain behind our F-150 with a 5.4 motor even. A Cummins 5.9 will pull a lot of weight if it's in the right chassis. Check this post out from a Dodge site.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27062

As far as ford trucks go, they are all good motors. They are having some problems with the 03 6.0 strokes, but we haven't had any with ours. I'd love to have a diesel right now, but can't afford to with being in school.

Also, for those of you that believes Ford owns Cummins, look at Cummins own website.

http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content.jsp?siteId=1&langId=1033&menuId=6&overviewId=29&anchorId=44&menuIndex=4&index=3

btlblwnracer
02-09-2005, 09:20 AM
get the powerstroke , but if your looking at used trucks , the early 03 with the 6.0 is when they where having injector problems , and some 99 (7.3) had torque converter problems , you will acctully be able to tell if it has a coverter problem as soon as it starts up , it will be the noisest (sp?) powerstroke you have ever heard. another good source of info on diesels is www.thedieselstop.com. oh if your looking at the 94-97 powerstoke don't get the f-250 if you plan on working it hard with a plow , it had a dana 50 front (junk).I have a 97 powerstroke with a dana 50 and have broken an axle housing :eek2: , but it allso has a banks powerpack :D ,5 inch exhaust , and propane :devil:

hondarider2006
02-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke:cool:

cknox88
02-09-2005, 04:10 PM
even though i am a diehard Chevy fan i gotta hand it to ford. you cannot beat a POWERSTROKE.

OR as i like to say to the ford guys POWERCHOKE. but their awesome engines

kicken250x
02-09-2005, 04:21 PM
i think i finaly found what i want... its not a powerstroke like i origionaly want, hell, its not even a ford. i stoped and looked at an 85 scottsdale today, STRONG running SB 350 700 miles on a complete rebuild, 'marro heads, hooker headers, JE pistons egle rods knife edged crank,holly carb, new red paint, NO rust anywhere (its been patched in some spots but they did a good job with it) big ******* bumpers front and back, interior is soooo clean, 10 inches of net lift, 39.5 boggers, BAD *** CB, rhino lined bed, detroit locked rear and ARB air locker in the front. this truck is just sweet...since the lift has been put on it hasnt been off road but 2 times and the guy is older (56 i believe) and a buddy of mine knows him and went with him both times and he really babied the truck. he is the origional owner has all service records all receipts even a stack of gas reciepts since it was rebuilt figuring gas mileage. the guy doesnt really want to get rid of it but he ran into some collage loan bills from sending his son to collage and needs the money. im getting the truck for 7600 bucks!!!!! when he told me thats all he wanted i couldnt believe it! this truck is EASILY worth 10000. when i took it for a test drive he told me and my buddy to go out by ourselves. i got down the road went through 4x4 gears, put it in low to see how hard it pulled and hit the gas and it scared be the first time because it jumped so hard, i did it again with my head out of the window too see if the locker was working right, with the back tires on the pavement and the front on a dirt road...it pulled the front tires off the ground about 3 inches!! that sold me right there i took it back and told him id call him later and let him know when i could have the money. im hopefuly going to pick it up at the end of the week. man i cant wait

Screamin440
02-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by kicken250x
i think i finaly found what i want... its not a powerstroke like i origionaly want, hell, its not even a ford. i stoped and looked at an 85 scottsdale today, STRONG running SB 350 700 miles on a complete rebuild, 'marro heads, hooker headers, JE pistons egle rods knife edged crank,holly carb, new red paint, NO rust anywhere (its been patched in some spots but they did a good job with it) big ******* bumpers front and back, interior is soooo clean, 10 inches of net lift, 39.5 boggers, BAD *** CB, rhino lined bed, detroit locked rear and ARB air locker in the front. this truck is just sweet...since the lift has been put on it hasnt been off road but 2 times and the guy is older (56 i believe) and a buddy of mine knows him and went with him both times and he really babied the truck. he is the origional owner has all service records all receipts even a stack of gas reciepts since it was rebuilt figuring gas mileage. the guy doesnt really want to get rid of it but he ran into some collage loan bills from sending his son to collage and needs the money. im getting the truck for 7600 bucks!!!!! when he told me thats all he wanted i couldnt believe it! this truck is EASILY worth 10000. when i took it for a test drive he told me and my buddy to go out by ourselves. i got down the road went through 4x4 gears, put it in low to see how hard it pulled and hit the gas and it scared be the first time because it jumped so hard, i did it again with my head out of the window too see if the locker was working right, with the back tires on the pavement and the front on a dirt road...it pulled the front tires off the ground about 3 inches!! that sold me right there i took it back and told him id call him later and let him know when i could have the money. im hopefuly going to pick it up at the end of the week. man i cant wait

A 5500lb 4x4 truck in low range yanked the front tires by 3"? :huh It takes a high 11 second car cutting 1.6 and under 60 foot times to be able to yank the front wheels that high. By the way, if it was in 4wd it was impossible to yank the front wheels. Power would be sent to the front wheels and the truck would be pulled and pushed at the same time by it's respective axles.

kicken250x
02-09-2005, 08:27 PM
idk if it picked both wheels up because the guy that was with me wasnt looking out his window, but the driver side came up unless im just retarded and blind. either way, the truck is bad fruckin *** and looks like it just rolled off the show room floor and im saving a LOT of money getting this instead of f250

Derag2
02-09-2005, 09:31 PM
and you'll get all of 5 miles to the gallon.......... If you want a truck to do accual work or haul anything that truck is not what you want..... And you'd be surprised at how little those kinds of trucks are worth........ I've seen a million nice trucks that are lifted and everything go for alot cheaper than that.