PDA

View Full Version : check it out.bday present

Bubba
02-05-2005, 05:06 PM
My parents got this for me for my birthday. I guess they got tired of all the spray paint cans everywhere...lol nahh.i told them i wanted to learn to paint cars and stuff, and i'm working on painting my truck.. If you have any good advice please tell me anything thanks.

brian-250
02-05-2005, 05:13 PM
lucky basturd, wish my dad would by me one f them

my addvice, take good care of it and it will last you a lifetime.;)

Sprttrx400ex
02-05-2005, 05:29 PM
thats cool.

TheFontMaster
02-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Clean the gun out very well with paint thinner after everytime you paint.

Do you know how to do all the prep and everything to the car to get it ready for primer then paint and clear. I'm in an auto body class, I know all about painting tequnes(sp), so if you have any questions ask!

Bubba
02-05-2005, 08:09 PM
well what would be the best kind of primer to use

Quad18star
02-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Niiiiice . Looks like that could be a fun b-day gift .... do some research one different techniques and find yourself a lot of scrap sheet metal to play with .

Hey you never know ... maybe you'll be the next Chip Foose .... that dude can do everything ... he's a damn car god . Weld , Design , Paint , Draw .... I want just one of his skills . :p

Bubba
02-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Niiiiice . Looks like that could be a fun b-day gift .... do some research one different techniques and find yourself a lot of scrap sheet metal to play with .

Hey you never know ... maybe you'll be the next Chip Foose .... that dude can do everything ... he's a damn car god . Weld , Design , Paint , Draw .... I want just one of his skills . :p

foose is awesome. I just like looking at his sketches he makes of cars. I like wathing him on overhaulin

TheFontMaster
02-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Bubba
well what would be the best kind of primer to use

Ask your local paint suplyer, The primers are labled with numbers and I can't remember the numbers.

Yea I'm off to a good start.:o

Bubba
02-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
Ask your local paint suplyer, The primers are labled with numbers and I can't remember the numbers.

Yea I'm off to a good start.:o

I'm painting my truck white. Is white a pretty easy color to paint?

TheFontMaster
02-05-2005, 08:25 PM
White is an easy color.

Reletively speaking most colors are the same difficulty to paint. Where they can get complicated is when you have to repaint just a pannel on a car, and you have to blend the color.

It is important to mix the paint for the whole car in the same batch, that way there will be no slight differences in the color.

kicken250x
02-05-2005, 08:28 PM
nice. what kind of gun is it? i have a few SATA's myself. they spray so sweet. theyre a little more expensive than other guns but its worth it if you want to do a quality job. the best thing you can do is (if you dont already have one) invest in a GOOD compressor! the worst thing ever is having to stop right in the middle of a paint job and wait on your tank to refull. probably the best thing you can do is find someone at a body shop that is willing to let you stand in while he is painting and watch how he does it, ask him questions why he does this, why he doesnt do that. thats how i learned, the man eventually talked to his boss and i was working there. wasnt very good money but it was a great expirence. as for primer...thats really a matter of how much money you have. most primers have the same abilities just make sure you expirement with different mix ratios. i use keystone primer a lot. its cheap! the ratio they have on the side of the can is off. they call for a 4:1:1 mix ratio, i found thats a little thin for where i paint (most primers are the same way) so i mix 4:1:1/2 and it sprays great. its all in practice, devloping good habbits, and PATIANCE!!!!!! dont expect to be able to pick up a gun and lay down the perfect coat on youre first pass. ive always been told "youre not a good painter unless you run a few every now and then." and i believe that fully!

FTR250Rnif
02-05-2005, 08:31 PM
thats a sick present.. try painting your helmet, thats wut I would do;)

Bubba
02-05-2005, 08:35 PM
well my nieghbor used to do custom painting and stuff. I'm gonna talk to him and get him to explain everythign to me. I might can get some paint from him, hes got all kinds of paints and flakes and stuff. He did awesome painting. My dad already drilled it in my head to always clean it out. i'm pretty excited to start learning and stuff

Cody_300ex
02-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Nice man. My uncle has been doing body work for about 15 years. When I work with him he makes me spray 1/4 can of thinner threw twice. Then I take the can off clean it really good, the dissamble the nossle, and let it soak in thinner then reasseble. I think hes only to buy about 4 or 5 guns. I think 2 or 3 clear guns and 2 paint guns.

chucked
02-06-2005, 07:26 AM
ppg k200 is an awesome primer

WhiteBros400ex
02-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by FTR250Rnif
thats a sick present.. try painting your helmet, thats wut I would do;)

Same thing with me:blah: