PDA

View Full Version : Noleen Suspension

MD450r
02-05-2005, 04:26 PM
There have been stickers on Gusts and Byrds quads showing that a company called noleen has been setting up there suspension. I e mailed them to see if the can revalve my elkas and they said a 1000 to do all three shocks. Has anyone here had any experience with them. Aaron

Cody_300ex
02-05-2005, 10:40 PM
I would tell them to shove that 1000 dollars up there @$$. but thats me.

roostin_dale
02-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
I would tell them to shove that 1000 dollars up there @$$. but thats me.

same here....$1,000 is crazy for suspension revalving...

300ex73
02-06-2005, 04:54 AM
It is a lot of money to spend on just revalving, but they must do something right. If you notice, most of the top riders have their shocks done by them.

bradley300
02-06-2005, 08:04 AM
but i'm sure that derisi, pro action or precision concepts could do just as good of a job. and noleen dosent do gust shocks, one of the suzuki guys is the suspension tech. they are probably just usuing noleen parts

MD450r
02-06-2005, 09:30 AM
I wanted to see what you guys thought. I dont really plan on getting it done but wanted to see what they had to say. If it gets any closer to justifying the price it included nitrogen or whatever the gas is, shims, oil, and all of the springs. Thanks for the help.

Aaron

400exstud
02-06-2005, 06:45 PM
you can get good elka's up front for 900!!! 1000 for revalving.......:eek2:

R3Concepts
02-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Clark Jones who does Gusts' shocks...is Noleen.

bradley300
02-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
Clark Jones who does Gusts' shocks...is Noleen.

oh, i thought he was a suzuki guy

gump
02-07-2005, 10:18 PM
santo is around $850 from what i hear, he redid my rear shock and it works great..

roostin_dale
02-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by gump
santo is around $850 from what i hear, he redid my rear shock and it works great..

850 just for valving? If you guys are spending 850-1000 to get just a revalve you are getting screwed!!

I have gotten my rear shocks done for $75 for valving and new oils and seals.....fronts $150.....

Tommy 17
02-08-2005, 11:51 AM
noleen is one of the best companies out there... he use to do mcgraths bikes... hes the one that figured out that a 1993 or 1994 cylinder and a 1998 yz250 bottom end was the best motor and thats what MC raced...

zeke83
02-08-2005, 12:17 PM
how often are you supposed to get your shocks rebuilt? If they need to get revalved after a short period of time, thats another reason why i cant afford to get them. I think everyone in quad racing is getting screwed by all these high prices!

TBD
02-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
noleen is one of the best companies out there... he use to do mcgraths bikes... hes the one that figured out that a 1993 or 1994 cylinder and a 1998 yz250 bottom end was the best motor and thats what MC raced... Paul Thede at RaceTech used to do McGraths bike. Noleens is a very good company. They have done a lot of work with Ohlins and Yamaha. Kind of pricey, if the price that was posted is correct.

oste
02-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Noleen was one of the first companies to offer after-market ATV shocks and valving. I'm thinking mid to late 1980's or so. They sold Ohlins shocks even the mighty big body Ohlins (pre-cursor to the LT shocks today, they had more oil capacity). In 1991 Ohlins big body shocks sold for $1400.00, plus setup! They faded from the atv scene in the early 90's till recently. During their hiatus, they focussed on mountain bike suspensions and racing.

I think a revalve and rebuild for my custom axis shocks would be well under $600.00, for all 3 and I think that is even too much! If you race, maybe you can get yours done free in exchange for sponser ship.

Why does gust have them as a sponser; it's MONEY!!! Gust could win with crappy works shocks, but the money isn't there.

Lance F
02-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by TBD
Paul Thede at RaceTech used to do McGraths bike. Noleens is a very good company. They have done a lot of work with Ohlins and Yamaha. Kind of pricey, if the price that was posted is correct.

Paul Thede use to do Gary Dentons shocks back in the day. His company "Race Tech" is back in the atv business with gold valve kits for stock shocks for now. Long Travel suspesion will come towards the mid to end of the year.

TBD
02-12-2005, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't count on Race Tech doing long shocks. When I took Pauls seminar about 7 months ago I asked him what he thought of the long shock suspension for the quads. His response was that there is no need for it. He said that you could make the standard shocks work just as well. The assumption that because the shock is longer and has more oil volume that it would not heat up as much is incorrect. Here is the deal, you have a longer shock that has more shaft travel. More shaft travel means more shaft velocity. More shaft velocity means that you have more energy to convert to heat. Both shocks will run virtually the same temp. If you have a chance to get a gold valve kit for your shock, do it. It is one of the best designed pistons that I have seen. It would be cool to see Paul design Gold valves for the long shock suspenion.

TC426EX
02-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Noleen and Race tech both have been big in the MX bike world for a long time. Now that the sport quad market is on fire I guess they see a good business opportunity, so theyre getting back involved with quads...

1000 bucks for a revalve is insane... I would never pay that much. I can have PEP do a revalve on all 3 of my shocks for 450 at the most, provided that new springs are not needed... The majority of the other reputable manufacturers is in the same price range as well I think...

Florida400EX
02-12-2005, 09:36 PM
You guys need to remember it is not a typical revalve. Noleen takes all the elka internals/ springs and throws them away, and replaces them with all new/ better Noleen internals and springs. Pretty much the only Elka part left is the shock body.

TBD
02-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
You guys need to remember it is not a typical revalve. Noleen takes all the elka internals/ springs and throws them away, and replaces them with all new/ better Noleen internals and springs. Pretty much the only Elka part left is the shock body. If you don't mind I would like to know where you got that info. I could see them changing spring rates and shim stacks and maybe the piston. Elkas issues are mostly in valving and springs from what I've heard. As far as hydraulic design and flow I don't believe Elka has a problem, but I personally haven't looked into that so I couldn't say for sure that it's correct.

MD450r
02-13-2005, 11:43 AM
TBD
You talk about the long shocks which I assume you mean for long travel setups instead of the regular travel shocks on regular travel style a arms. I understand you are repeating what someone else said about the long shocks being longer shaft travel but the 20 inch elkas I have only have about six inch shaft travel which is about the same as an aftermarket standard travel shock. The body of the shock is the longer part. I am not trying to be a pain in the ***** questioning you but only so I can learn.

Aaron

sampleez
02-13-2005, 04:50 PM
a buddy of mine that works at a honda/yamaha/harley dealership said he heard works connection(or something similar to that) can redo all three stock shocks with multi-rate springs(3 in front, ?? for the rear) for around 350. i'm not sure about the specific company tho.

300extreme#8
02-13-2005, 05:50 PM
thats y when all u ppl tring to pay high prices to get what pros get.once u pay bout 2,000 dollars or more for to get what teh pros run ,ur gettin nothin close to what they got,it's a money gimic for elka,as soon a gust gets teh elkas they r broken done completey and get totally redone inside and out but just have teh elka body hehe,sucks to know the truth

300extreme#8
02-13-2005, 05:54 PM
so when suckers see that gust is runnin somewhat elkas,they need them so they will have the best,but u will just pay so much more and get nothin like his:)

TBD
02-13-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by MD450r
TBD
You talk about the long shocks which I assume you mean for long travel setups instead of the regular travel shocks on regular travel style a arms. I understand you are repeating what someone else said about the long shocks being longer shaft travel but the 20 inch elkas I have only have about six inch shaft travel which is about the same as an aftermarket standard travel shock. The body of the shock is the longer part. I am not trying to be a pain in the ***** questioning you but only so I can learn.

Aaron Yes, I do refer to the shock as a "Long Shock" for the reason that you can get the same amount of wheel travel out of standard arms as what they refer to as "Long travel" arms. The standard shocks that I have dealt with have 5.5 inchs of metal to metal shaft travel. The 20 inch long shocks that I have worked with have the same as yours, 6 inchs of shaft metal to metal.

blasterkid
02-14-2005, 06:11 AM
if u say long travel is so bad then why does every pro and am. ride long travel

R3Concepts
02-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by blasterkid

Who said long tavel was bad? TBD didnt. Read the posts all the way first. LT has advantages and disadvantages just like standard travel. LT arms/ shocks sit lower, but have less ground clearance and viseversa with Standard arms/shocks.

300extreme#8
02-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by blasterkid
Brandon stout did fine in pro am ridin on stock shocks,and teh reason all pros run lt is b/c they r pretty much given to them so they can say that pro runs them for publicity,so u will think that u need to pay extra for something they have.liek i stated eariler

300extreme#8
02-14-2005, 06:19 PM
if ur that ignorant bout this kinda stuff then ur stupid for gettin a here and talkin like u know what ur sayin, pros run this and pros run that, it's b/s,who cares what the pros run,shocks don't make a rider ,hell it makes them better and gives them new limits but ,trust me they aren't pro b/c they r runnin them certain shocks,and most ppl don't even think nothin of that,,,,and will it gets down to it,u'll pay a butt load of money for some totally diff then what u think ur gettin,,, if u pay bout 4,000 dollars for a gust replica and then the ppl that sold it to u would prolly laugh after u left.

bc14
09-14-2006, 12:03 PM
actually long travel are better than standard. especially for motocross. and as far as the gust replica shocks. they are $10000 not $4000 and i dont think they will be laughing at you. its not like its a waste of money. if it shaves a second or two off your lap time then its worth it.

oldskoolex400
09-14-2006, 03:15 PM
man you must have no concept of money dang 10000 dollars on shocks to go a sec or two faster around the track only the pros get it cuz theres so much money on the line and the sponsors pay for it i suggest to anyone that spends that much they need to practice more to get faster

400exMO
09-15-2006, 08:29 AM
this threads over a year old.

Rootar
09-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by 300ex73
It is a lot of money to spend on just revalving, but they must do something right. If you notice, most of the top riders have their shocks done by them.

i ordered and had my Elka elites custom built through Noleen and they rebuilt my rear (conversion), i could have brought front and rear shock from elka instead of the conversion but trust me the valving was amazing, spot on, very progressive and yet smooth. if i could do it over i would have spent more and got the rear shock and then had Noleen do it too...

Now for XC you cant beat derisi he races XC for crying out loud he knows first hand what works in the woods and well if you want the job done by professionals you have to pay the price