PDA

View Full Version : Best shocks for the money?

Screamin440
02-05-2005, 03:14 PM
I want to buy shocks for this 400EX just once. I don't want to spend a ton of money on shocks but at the same time I don't want to buy lower line shocks and then realize that I need more.

I don't really plan on racing this thing I just need shocks for very aggressive rec riding.

Will the Works triples w/ rezzies work for this or should I go ahead and get Elkas?

dopeyferree
02-05-2005, 08:24 PM
If you want a quality shock but dont want to spend alot of money, check out the Elka Recreational shocks without ressies. You can get a set for around $495. These are without the ressie but a top of the line shock. Elkas without ressies are just as good as works steelers with ressies. Plus if you decide you want to spend a little more down the road you can add the ressies to these shocks.

Blizzard24
02-05-2005, 09:48 PM
TCS- for the money you wont beat em

powerstroke
02-05-2005, 09:52 PM
works steelers with rezzies are great shocks for the money. they are more than adequate for aggressive rec riding. I dont think you would be dissapointed. good luck! :)

mrnate400ex
02-05-2005, 09:58 PM
i have a set of the elka rec series shocks on my 400ex, and couldn't be happier. however, i haven't run any other shocks on it so i can't compare what would be the best for the money. just thought i would throw my experience in to help you decision.

beak7707
02-05-2005, 10:31 PM
I'm a big fan of Elka and would highly recommend them. I think you would be happy with Elka and if you go with the rec ones, it wont put a huge dent in your wallet.

mountaineer
02-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Go with elka recreational shocks. You can always upgrade to the rezzies if you are not satisfied with just the recreatioal shocks.

redrider9045
02-08-2005, 05:36 AM
PEP are the best for the money the best pep shocks you can get are cheaper than the best shocks you can get from elka

cdalejef
02-08-2005, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by redrider9045
PEP are the best for the money the best pep shocks you can get are cheaper than the best shocks you can get from elka Thats because Elka's top of the line shocks are better and offer more tuning options than PEPs top of the line shock!

redrider9045
02-08-2005, 04:08 PM
the elkas are good but very hard to dial in but look at most of the pros (most) they all use peps i know thats what im getting if ever get a 450r and become rich

EvilJester400EX
02-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by OCRaptor
TCS- for the money you wont beat em

I agree, I'm sure the Elka's are nice but I've never been a big fan of them. High and low speed adjustment seems a bit too much adjustment for me, lol. :p

300extreme#8
02-08-2005, 08:23 PM
i lov emy tcs,they r awesome,best 755.00 i ever spent

cdalejef
02-09-2005, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by redrider9045
the elkas are good but very hard to dial in but look at most of the pros (most) they all use peps i know thats what im getting if ever get a 450r and become rich Actually, there aren't any GNCC pro's running PEPs.

Bush0102
02-09-2005, 08:22 AM
i would probably say that the top choice for pros is a tie between elka and axis.

blue416ex
02-09-2005, 12:23 PM
i say you go with axis shocks get the non adjustable oones for like $900if you want to spend more get the ones that are completely adj fior like $$$$$1275which is pricey but i have there rear shock and i love it other than them thou i would say elka then the works but works r always good i had them on my banshee and blaster and liked them

R3Concepts
02-09-2005, 08:52 PM
PEP race series shocks. 595 cant beat em for the average Joe. Whats Elkas tip top of the line shock cost? Cause PEP ARCs are 1650 for the fronts and I dont think Elkas even have a shock that goes up that high. You dont see many GNCC pros ride PEP cause I dont think Wayne cares about cross country, besides Jathan..not to sound mean or anything but GNC is where PEP shines. Id go with PEP or Axis wayyyy before Elka. (1) My money isnt leaving this country and (2) All the top Pros that run Elkas are well... not really Elkas, since Noleen and Precision do most of the Elka pros valving.. So i think Ill stick with the shock genius, Wayne Mooradian.

Blizzard24
02-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
All the top Pros that run Elkas are well... not really Elkas, since Noleen and Precision do most of the Elka pros valving.. So i think Ill stick with the shock genius, Wayne Mooradian.

I think that really sums it up, Elkas need to be set up by an outside company. They are the nicest built shocks as far craftsmenship goes such as the bodies and parts, but I think Elka really needs to work on the internals to keep up with PEP and Axis.

zlam27
02-10-2005, 09:01 AM
where do you people find the bankroll to drop $1K on front shocks. this post went from "what should i get thats economical and a proven performer" to everyone saying "get the top of the line shocks, they are only as much as a used car".

ive really been thinking about buying some shocks, i think ill either go with works dual or triple rate, or the elka rec. series. im still hesitant because $450 is a decent chunk of change, but i dont wanna get something cheap that wont last.

BTW: rezzies dont affect the dampening quality of the shock, correct? everyone seems to act like they make the shock work better, dont they just keep it from fading after extended periods of hard riding (which does make it work better in a sense).

cady#1
02-10-2005, 06:49 PM
I think the last guy was on to something. Plus if you go with the works and are not satisfied then you could go and get a good revalve job for nut very much.

cdalejef
02-10-2005, 07:17 PM
PEP race series shocks. 595 cant beat em for the average Joe. Whats Elkas tip top of the line shock cost? Cause PEP ARCs are 1650 for the fronts and I dont think Elkas even have a shock that goes up that high. You dont see many GNCC pros ride PEP cause I dont think Wayne cares about cross country, besides Jathan..not to sound mean or anything but GNC is where PEP shines. Id go with PEP or Axis wayyyy before Elka. (1) My money isnt leaving this country and (2) All the top Pros that run Elkas are well... not really Elkas, since Noleen and Precision do most of the Elka pros valving.. So i think Ill stick with the shock genius, Wayne Mooradian. Wrong! My shocks are setup the same as they would be for you if you matched my riding style and weight. Same goes for Yokley, Cook and the other Pros. Gust is the only on I know of that has his Elkas setup by Noleen.

R3Concepts
02-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Wrong! Gust, Jones: Noleen. Ellis, Schell, numerous others who ride for Epic, use Precision Concepts valving. Ha.

cdalejef
02-10-2005, 07:41 PM
Did you actually read my post?

"Gust is the only on I know of that has his Elkas setup by Noleen."

I didn't say Gust was the only one, I said he was the only one I know of!

I have used all 3 brands and I sell all 3 brands. Axis and PEP where good but not the quality of the Elkas.

R3Concepts
02-11-2005, 11:27 AM
I would say the same if I was sponsored by Elka also. :rolleyes:

Thump_It
02-11-2005, 11:49 AM
LOL, this is getting good. One stab after another, keep it up I'm bored and need entertainment.

punker69q
02-11-2005, 11:52 AM
I would say the same if I was sponsored by Elka also. :rolleyes:

Do you realize that Jeff can be sponsored by any shock company??? :huh

R3Concepts
02-11-2005, 02:16 PM
He can aye? Well aye, do a search aye and realize that a lot of people complain about Elka valving aye, how it was way off when they got the shocks. 90% of the people that run PEP said that they were within one click of perfect, usually on the compression side. So Ill stick with Wayne and the US over Martin and Canada anyday aye.

punker69q
02-12-2005, 07:50 AM
No offense, but I got pep lt front shock and elka no link rear on my r, and both seem to work perfect and the previous owner didn't had to get them re-valved. The only difference is that elka quality is higher, the ssd spring on pep is crap and the pep shocks are leaking oil while the rear elka dont even show a slight oil drip...

And those comments come from someone who has been a machinist that worked on cnc machinery building hydraulic cylinders that operate at much higher pressure than shocks, I also designed hydraulic cylinders and i'm now a mechanical engineering student. I've been riding quads for 10 years.

Anyway, please don't be offended by my post, this is not a personal attack, just telling my opinion from my experience.

Back to the subject, best shock for the money : elka recreational series, they will last longer than anything else (equal with axis I think, but this is second hand info, I never had or seen axis shocks...) AND you can get a free revalve if they are not right the first time...:blah:

TBD
02-12-2005, 04:00 PM
I doubt Jeff can be sponsored by any shock company. I know three right now that won't deal with him if he sent them a resume. Jeff is doing what he is suppose to do as a sponsored rider. Thinking that he is not biased is crap. I know that he recentlly informed me that he has some training in suspension design but I have yet to see him post anything that has technical backing yet. I'm not saying he doesn't have that knowledge I just havent seen him back up anything he says with technical facts. You guys are nuts if you think you get what the pros get when they have a shock sponsor. I ran pro for many years and had a couple of different shock sponsors and you definentlly get special treatment. So to think that because the pros run them that means that you need them is ignorant. I don't want you to think I'm bashing on Jeff, but I would like him to back up some of his statements with a technicals facts.

cdalejef
02-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by TBD
I doubt Jeff can be sponsored by any shock company. I know three right now that won't deal with him if he sent them a resume. LMAO....buddy you don't have a clue!

TBD
02-12-2005, 04:19 PM
I figured you would say something like that. It's you that doesn't have a clue. You obviouslly have no idea who I am. You will soon. How you liking those killer ASR LT arms on that ATK?

cdalejef
02-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Once again you have no idea what your taking about, I am not running ASR arms, I'm running the 02 Cannondale arms. :rolleyes:
I tested them one time this past summer at a desert race on a quad that belonged to ASR and haven't seen a set since.
I know who you are Tim and who you represent and that explains everything. Did you enjoy the I-Shock class?

Pappy
02-12-2005, 04:48 PM
oh man...a mystery thread:p

TC426EX
02-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Oh man, this is getting deep and I really dont want to contribute to the bashing...

BUT to answer the original post, I would say get the PEP race series shocks. I have always owned PEPs (on my old R, and on my 426 now) but I have ridden Elkas on my friends KFX and the Elkas really didnt feel as good as my PEP's at all... Now Im not a big shock genius with bigtime super credentials behind my name but thats my opinion. My trust will always be with Mark Baldwin to do my shocks. The shocks were setup the same. Mine are setup for 190lb. A-class MX and his are setup for 190lb. A-class MX... Is Elka and Axis a quality shock? Im sure they are, but Ill always run PEP, so I reccomend the PEP race series shocks for you... If you wanna go Elka, get the rec series, and if you get the Works, get a set of the midrange ones with rezzies...

The only thing I resent is when someone in an earlier post than this one said that PEP's were "works copies" or something... Thats total BS, theres NO comparison between the 2...

TBD
02-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Jeff, I will end this here. As far as having no idea of what I'm talking about, I will say this, I have more knowledge of suspension components than you will ever be able to fool these people into believing you have. I have no idea who you think I represent. I do work with several companies. I'm not saying that I know everything(people who think that are ingnorant) but at least I can backup my opinions with facts not with"you lay the Elka and TCS side by side and you can see the Elka is far better". If you actually know about shock design then you would know that machining appearance has nothing to do with the way the shock performs. In order to make a full comparison you have to measure components and do your math. To base it on appearance is wrong.

Lance F
02-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by TBD
You obviouslly have no idea who I am. You will soon.

My guess would be that your the financial backer of I-shocks. Am I right?

TBD
02-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Sorry Lance but nice try. That must be what Jeff thinks. I made a mistake in my earlier post. I didn't mean to make it sound like Jeff doesn't have the suspension knowledge that he leads people to believe but the fact that he doesn't give any factual info along with his observations leads me to believe that he is not as informed as some would believe. Just my opinion. By the way, the ASR LT comment came straight from the owner of ATK. And no Jeff wasn't specifically mentioned. I just assumed that Jeff was running them.

Lance F
02-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Why the secrecy then? Why are you hiding?

R3Concepts
02-12-2005, 06:39 PM
I commend TBD for actually saying something, becuase I DO believe that Jeff Stoess has a bunch of these exrider members by the ba**s thinking Elka is the best shock made. Ive ridden all shocks for my weight and riding style inlcuding Axis, Elka, PEP, TCS, and I also beleive that they way all these shocks rode my order would be PEP, Axis, TCS THEN Elka, in last. Elka has a potential to be a decent shock, but looks arent everything, and you know what they say, all show and no go.

Pappy
02-12-2005, 06:57 PM
I commend TBD for actually saying something, becuase I DO believe that Jeff Stoess has a bunch of these exrider members by the ba**s thinking Elka is the best shock made. Ive ridden all shocks for my weight and riding style inlcuding Axis, Elka, PEP, TCS, and I also beleive that they way all these shocks rode my order would be PEP, Axis, TCS THEN Elka, in last. Elka has a potential to be a decent shock, but looks arent everything, and you know what they say, all show and no go.

but that is an opinion. i too have riden alot of different shocks and i prefer to buy elka. no special reason other then i prefer thier shock and customer service. does that make pep a piece of junk or tcs?

jeff can take care of himself, but dont think we wont call BS if we see it.

i dont know this tbd dude but from reviewing his posts he seems knowledgable but just a tad on the dicky side:ermm: that could be just because he prefers to post direct info, or it could be because he likes to post information followed by a few choice remarks?

TBD
02-12-2005, 06:58 PM
I commend TBD for actually saying something, becuase I DO believe that Jeff Stoess has a bunch of these exrider members by the ba**s thinking Elka is the best shock made. Ive ridden all shocks for my weight and riding style inlcuding Axis, Elka, PEP, TCS, and I also beleive that they way all these shocks rode my order would be PEP, Axis, TCS THEN Elka, in last. Elka has a potential to be a decent shock, but looks arent everything, and you know what they say, all show and no go. I agree with the first part and it was well said. I'm not saying I don't like Elkas. I think there appearance is great. I have used the Elka shocks and they do work well(after Todd at TCS valved them). I personally haven't had a chance to play with the valving or checkout all there design features of the Elkas. All I can say is that I know of a lot of Elkas bieng revalved by other tuners.

Pappy
02-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by TBD
All I can say is that I know of a lot of Elkas bieng revalved by other tuners.

please follow up this statement with fact. if you are going to hold someone accountable for a statement then we should ask of you the same.

TBD
02-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
but that is an opinion. i too have riden alot of different shocks and i prefer to buy elka. no special reason other then i prefer thier shock and customer service. does that make pep a piece of junk or tcs?

jeff can take care of himself, but dont think we wont call BS if we see it.

i dont know this tbd dude but from reviewing his posts he seems knowledgable but just a tad on the dicky side:ermm: that could be just because he prefers to post direct info, or it could be because he likes to post information followed by a few choice remarks? You're right, I do prefer to post direct info. I see a lot of post that are so vague and unfactual that I probally do come off wrong. I'm just trying to pass on as much factual info that I know. Sorry to be on the "Dicky side" but it's certain people that bring that out.

R3Concepts
02-12-2005, 07:13 PM
I will Pappy. Gust, Jones : Noleen. Ellis, Schell numerous others precision concepts.

TBD
02-12-2005, 07:18 PM
please follow up this statement with fact. if you are going to hold someone accountable for a statement then we should ask of you the same. Totally fair. Personally I only know of two companies that have been doing revalving on the Elkas. I know there are more. I know that Todd at TCS has done a considerable amount besides the one that I personally tested with. The fact that I live in San Diego, I know that Precision Concepts has done a considerable amount of revalving on Elkas but in there case they are working with Elka.

Pappy
02-12-2005, 07:19 PM
I will Pappy. Gust, Jones : Noleen. Ellis, Schell numerous others precision concepts.

and there are others, and im certain other riders have thier builder of choice work thier pep's tcs etc. i myself had derisi rework a set of pep's that werent done properly IMO. that doesnt make pep bad does it?

when a pro rider gets a set of shocks you can bet they will be tuned by the builder behind the rider. what about the average rider? i agree that pep and axis come set up better for the average rider, so dont think im in disagreement with the basis for this debate.

my personal choice for elka in regards to fit and finish is the simple fact that after 2 years of using them they still look good. i dont mean just in appearence but they are in good working order. i have torn apart far too many pep and works along with tcs that have corroded bodys and parts that had to be replaced simply because the conditions they were used in affected thier usuable lifespan. as a consumer i find that elka treats its parts to the point that they outlast others(keep in mind what im discussing) my elkas will soon be on thier way to derisi for a workover, not a makeover.

R3Concepts
02-12-2005, 07:24 PM
and there are others, and im certain other riders have thier builder of choice work thier pep's tcs etc. i myself had derisi rework a set of pep's that werent done properly IMO. that doesnt make pep bad does it?

when a pro rider gets a set of shocks you can bet they will be tuned by the builder behind the rider. what about the average rider? i agree that pep and axis come set up better for the average rider, so dont think im in disagreement with the basis for this debate.

my personal choice for elka in regards to fit and finish is the simple fact that after 2 years of using them they still look good. i dont mean just in appearence but they are in good working order. i have torn apart far too many pep and works along with tcs that have corroded bodys and parts that had to be replaced simply because the conditions they were used in affected thier usuable lifespan. as a consumer i find that elka treats its parts to the point that they outlast others(keep in mind what im discussing) my elkas will soon be on thier way to derisi for a workover, not a makeover.

Well said but on the same hand, shocks are a huge maintanence item and cannot go untouched. I also agree that PEP and Axis come setup better, mine were within 1 click of what i forsee as perfect for me, the Elkas that I rode on took me all day to get half way dialed in.

TBD
02-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Pappy, your right, a lot of riders have there own tuners or it might be a team decision. I'm not bashing Elka. They do have some very good qualitys. TCS and Axis are two other shocks that I have used and like also. I don't really agree with Works piston design. I have used them and they did work ok but not as well as the shim style pistons. Durability is a good issue. I, unfortunetlly, have mostly racing exprience with most of the shocks, so we were always freshining up the shocks ,.so durability of the components isn't something I can give a opinion on

Pappy
02-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Well said but on the same hand, shocks are a huge maintanence item and cannot go untouched. .

i agree, and thats another reason i use and promote elka. if i need bushings, springs, or pretty much anything its a phone call away and i usually have the parts that week. i have waited for bushings and rezzy lines etc from other suppliers for what i feel is too long. that doesnt mean elka hasnt had supply issues over the years but for me my money is best spent with those that continually support me and my efforts.

and if you think looks arent important, take a look at what works is trying to do to increase sales. the new line of black widow shocks is a prime example of marketing, now whether the quality will be there is yet to be seen.

its far too easy to use a small base of racers or in my own expierences, internet atv enthusiests to gauge what the masses buy. i hear it everytime at the track..."my works are so better then any axis on the market" ...and why? because a magazine said so:p i for one am glad this site exists so this type of information is readily available for those that want and seek it.

whats the best shock for the money? depends on how much money and time you have:cool:

TBD
02-12-2005, 07:47 PM
Your right that looks do have a lot to do with sales. I was thinking about it in the functional end of the shock. Most people do buy for appearance, magazine write ups and "because the pros use them" over actaul workability. I myself look for design and tunability of a shock over appearance.

Pappy
02-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by TBD
I myself look for design and tunability of a shock over appearance.

and for you that works. but as stated earlier in this thread, alot of riders just dont have the cash to drop on even a $700 set of shocks. heck i know riders that have dropped that just in getting thier shocks right:p

the average joe rider will benefit from almost any aftermarket shock. the first set of works i ever rode on seemed like the best thing since sliced bread. would i buy works now? probably not for myself but id recommend them to someone on a budget. i have over the years repeatedly stated that if you want a great (key word great) set of shocks, bu a set of used pep's or axis or even elkas or works and have them warmed up by a reputable builder.

as of late the use of stock shocks re worked is a growing thing and from the sets i have been able to ride they are damn decent for the money spent on the re valve/spring.

TBD
02-12-2005, 08:12 PM
I completlly agree with you there.

R3Concepts
02-12-2005, 08:20 PM
Marketing is a huge thing when it comes to shocks. I know that PEP doesnt really do all the much marketing other then sponsoring products and thats why I personally believe they let the products they sell speak for themselves, but I also know that Elka and Works do a lot of marketing, and they seem to have big following on just what they use as marketing ploys. For me, Elka dune edition for i.e. are a waste because any shock that Elka sells would be fine for the dunes, but they hook the duners by developing a "dune only edition shock" along with Works and their black widows, "12 inches of travel, stock arms" average joe says wow cool, not me, not going to happen with standard travel arms, and shock lengths. But its good to see a few guys have the knowledge on things like this, becuase its funny for me to see all these guys who DONT know what they are talking about, and buy what the masses buy rather then taking the time to learn about these kinds of things.

<DRS>GPF
03-14-2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Screamin440
I want to buy shocks for this 400EX just once. I don't want to spend a ton of money on shocks but at the same time I don't want to buy lower line shocks and then realize that I need more.

I don't really plan on racing this thing I just need shocks for very aggressive rec riding.

Will the Works triples w/ rezzies work for this or should I go ahead and get Elkas?

i know this is an older thread, but it addressess my questions/concerns...

i dont race, but i do ride aggresively in the woods and i recently picked up a set of works TR shocks for my 00 EX, while a friend of mine bought elka's for his 05 KFX..

after some playing around on each others quads, id have to say that i like the works better(at the moment, so does he.. :p ) and theyre less expensive for what im after..

both are night vs. day from stock shocks but..
the top spring on the elkas were almost always fully compressed, thus they didnt appear to be effectively taking advantage of the "triple rate" feature..

he's getting some new top springs rated to 300lb as a result. from what we've read many others are doing the same..(@$25us ea.)

also, the elkas stiffened up a whole bunch once the second spring compressed, (enough that it was noticable anyway..)

im sure we've still got some tweaking to do, but does anyone here have some input about this deal with the elkas?:confused:
it just doesnt seem right considering the $$ invested..

what am i looking for when tweaking?
im still too newb for my own good when playing with my shocks.

we like getting good air and we're both around 190lbs... but i expected more from the elka shocks... (they do look really nice though..)

if weather lets, we'll be at the badlands this weekend doing some more tweaking.. if any exrider's are gonna be there, we'd be willing to chat with anyone for some input.. we usually park at the bottom of the hill, by where the little track used to be..

im sensitive, so.. constructive input is welcome... :D

Blizzard24
03-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Hope some of this helps... the top spring on the Elka is not meant to provide you w resistance... it is a "Zero Preload " spring so the quad sits lower while maintaining full shock travel. On the Works its an actual spring that serves as a part of the shocks dampening.

The Works will be more "plush" for an average trail rider because thats what they are for, they are not a high performance shock. Elka will respond to higher speeds in rough terrain better than the Works and will take more to bottom out than the Works off of bigger jumps.

While you start pushing the limits on the Works, the Elkas will have a lot more to give before you are even close.
If your buddy has Elkas w adjustable compression you may need to turn down the compression a few clicks to reduce the stiff ride. If it is still too stiff, the shock may be valved or sprung wrong for the type of rider you and your buddy are. If they are set up for an aggressive rider and you arent as aggressive the shock will seem harsh.