PDA

View Full Version : Swing arm bolt problems?

440ex#28
02-05-2005, 12:48 PM
I took apart my 400ex this winter to rebuild it before next race season. Everything was going well untill i got to taking out the swingarm bolt! I got the nut off, but the bolt seems to be seised in there, i tryed pounding it out with a sledge hammer but that didnt even budge. Then i tryed to twist it out to maybe loosen it up. I got no where with that, the bolt didn't move. Im at a rediculous stand-still with this project and it's ticking me off. Has anyone had a problem similar to this? Doesn anyone have any suggestions to help me out? HELP ME PLEASE ITS DRIVING ME NUTS!

Troy15x
02-05-2005, 01:23 PM
When I took mine apart the bolt was bent so bad it would not move. Chances are yours is bent too. We knocked mine out as far as we could and then cut it. Then we just had to work with it for a while but it came out.

I had a knew one made by EXTREME TEC ATV, out of Mt. Gilead Ohio. They made it out of Titaninum for cheap

Good luck with that, don't give up it will come out :macho

mikeman828
02-06-2005, 07:08 AM
There are so many threads in this site relating to that same problem..... search and I'm sure you'll find them.

Lots of good suggestions in them....

Bottom line is try soaking it with pb blaster or liquid wrench,
and get ready to pound the sh@# out of the bolt to get it out!!!!

Next time try removing every so often and either grease it or put some anti-seize on it so it won't happen again!!

good luck!

beak7707
02-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Your probably going to be cutting it. I tried beating and heating mine nothing worked. I had to end up cutting it out and buying a new one. Now I make sure to grease mine all the time, alot easier than that mess I was in.

kbh78
02-07-2005, 09:37 PM
Soak it in blast and take an impact and turn the bolt while you beat on it. That seemed to help me out but either way it sucks. Just plan on beaten on it for awhile.

markk
02-07-2005, 11:39 PM
PB BLASTER hit it a a few times every day, and after a day or two, get BIG impact and the correct size socket, and hit it with the impact, and at the same timehave somone hit it with a BFH!

mxracer111
02-07-2005, 11:46 PM
make sure you replace it with a stainless steel solid pivot bolt... rather than the hollow oem ones that will bed , break , and rust.

you can find them on ebay.
woodward specialties sells them.

Plante400
02-09-2005, 08:39 PM
i had to cut mine off with a tortch:)

after trying to pry with a 3 foot bar hahaha

quadrider60
02-14-2005, 06:31 PM
i used my snap-on impact for about an hour and it was bent when it finaly came out