PDA

View Full Version : Z-400 Review

05-01-2002, 06:46 AM
Here's a review I found on the new Z-400....

DJ GOES DUNING ON THE Z-400—APRIL 30
Here's DJ's report on his trip to Glamis with the new 2003 Suzuki QuadSport Z-400 and a 2002 Honda Sportrax 400EX:

Seeing as how everyone at ATV Action had already ridden the Z-400 before I had, I wanted to do something a little different when I got my hands on it. I was planning to shoot up to Pismo for some seaside duning, but the weather report indicated it would be cold and windy...not great dune weather. So, I took a peak at the Glamis weather, expecting it to be around 100 like it had been the week before. A was stoked when I saw a predicted high of 78 with a 5-10 mph breeze. I got dune novice Kelly Callan to go along with me and off to Glamis we went!

The dunes were perfect! A windy week left the dunes virtually virgin, and there were only a few hundred people scattered around the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area, so you really had to look hard to find tracks. We rarely saw anyone out on the rides, except at Comp Hill and Oldsmobile Hill. It was Dune Heaven!!!

Based on just one day's ride, here's what we found out. Yes, the Z-400 is faster than a 400EX. At Olds, it just walked away from a stocker. We had parked near Delta Companies' George Apont and his family, and we raced the Z-400 against George's modified 400EX--it had an FMF MegaMax pipe, White Brothers cam and ignition, plus a Wiseco high-compression piston. The two machines were about equal. Don't expect a stock Z-400 to pull a stock Raptor 660R, however. Remember, the Raptor has 65% more displacement--that's a huge difference!

Out for cruises in the dunes and some high-speed runs, the Z-400 really started to strut its stuff. The 400EX had been the benchmark for suspension performance, but at Glamis the EX felt harsh compared to the ultra-plush boingers on the Z. When you're pushing it, the Z-400 will pull away from the 400EX, thanks to its rev-happy motor. You almost have to ride the Z like a Cannondale--keep the throttle pinned and don't short shift if you want to make time. The EX has more bottom end power, and its friendly motor was a favorite of more casual riders like Kelly who does prefer the 400EX over the 300EX by a wide margin.

When you switch back-and-forth between the two machines, you'll notice something else. Being air-cooled, the EX vibrates much more than the water-cooled Z. The longer you ride, the more noticeable this is. Also, keep in mind that the Z has reverse, and the EX doesn't. This can come in handy both around camp on in the dunes when you don't make a hill.

Handling is outstanding on the Z. It carves with authority, yet is rock solid stable at high speeds. It easily handled the whoops guarding Oldsmobile. Unexpected witch's eyes can be jumped with a blip of the throttle. Landings from jumps are unexpectedly plush and the Z had great air manners, thanks to a perfectly balanced chassis. The Z is a confidence-inspiring duner, but it doesn't quite have the planted feel of the 400EX. Again, this was important to Kelly and other novices, but if you're more experienced, there's not going to be much about the EX that you like over the Z.

George's wife took it for a spin and came back insisting that George replace her 400EX with a Z-400, letter her daughter upgrade to mom's 400EX from a 300EX. M-Tech Supply's Duane Walker, riding a paddle-tired Honda CRF450 motorcycle, was an instant fan of the Z-400. It turned heads when people saw the new '03 cruise by, and it had people seriously interested in making a purchase after taking it for a ride.

Is the Z a winner in the dunes? You bet. We can't wait to get it out in the sand when the rest of the high-performance '03s show up!

freakystone
05-01-2002, 01:00 PM
Check out the Suzuki site. There are some updated photos and reviews. I think the Z400 will give the Cannondales a serious run for a grand to two less.

Guy400
05-01-2002, 02:45 PM
Good info, Rico! I'm so d@mn confused when it comes to buying a new quad. I'm really into the Speed's but a Z400 for $1500 less is very appealing as well. I may just sit back and watch the market for the remainder of the year and see how things go. I can tell you what I'm not doing, buying a first year Z. I want to see what the reliability record is on it after a year's worth of beating and see if it's more in line with the 400EX or the Raptor. Decisions, decisions...

330exracer
05-01-2002, 03:34 PM
in my opion the z is not much of a buy. the suspension well it might be better then 400ex wich is debatable still. th motor is obvios not the strongest motor either. the dbike they took it from sucks ***. they should of used the other model not this one. and i don't be;ieve it will give the cdale a run for its money. if the speed is 1500 dollars more accordin to guy(idon't feel like checkin so u better be right) its not much of a buy. the cdale motor is obously much stronger stock. and would make it tough to make it as fast as a stock cdale so lets do a approx of 600 bucks to make it faster eve though it will be more. then for suspension the stock cdale shock can be upgraded to the best ohlins u can buy for 350. and to buy a good set of shocks for the z would be around 800-1000 for decent shocks all around. and pus the cdale already has a warranty wich u did not void by openin the puppy up to get more hp. so in my mind the z is not a overly better choice then others.

Atomic83
05-01-2002, 03:42 PM
The Z has a better suspension & motor than the 400ex plus it has reverse, and it has the same msrp as the 400ex. After it has been out for a year and gets its bugs worked out I think the honda sales are gonna drop alot unless they hurry up and come out with something new.

05-01-2002, 04:06 PM
Im gettin a i already have 4600 to pay for it hehe, its hard not to just go of and buy a 400ex though, im just waiting for some more cash to come in and if it does z400 owner i will be, otherwise 400ex

Guy400
05-01-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by 330exracer
in my opion the z is not much of a buy.So what's that make the 400EX, a rip off?? You're getting better suspension, equal handling, a stronger motor and reverse for the same MSRP as the 400EX. If that doesn't constitute a good deal I don't know what does.

I don't think anyone is putting the Z on the same level as a Cannondale. Cannondale's are just about out-of-the-box racers. I also misquoted, the difference in price is $2500. It's well known that the Dales have many benefits over any sport quad offered right now so there's not much of an argument there.

86atc250r
05-01-2002, 07:28 PM
Where are you guys coming up with the LTZ having "Better suspension" than a 400EX?

Last time I checked it's using the exact same crappy front shocks the 400EX comes with, it's also using the same rear shock. Not to mention that bulky swingarm and funky looking control arms.

BTW - if you act now you can get a very nice brand new C-Dale for $5000 even (yep, mine even came with Ohlins shocks - a buddy even got a Hydro clutch on his)... Try getting an LTZ for that - heck, you're lucky if you can get a brand new 400EX for that.
http://www.xcracing.com/gabe/ls/mvc-009s.jpg

Guy's right, Stock Raptors get beat by Cannondale's in drag races - An LTZ won't even come close.

Although if you were dead set on either a 400EX or an LTZ it would be a difficult choice - The 400EX is a proven package with lots of aftermarket upgrades, dirt cheap OEM parts, and a very nice power spread.

The LTZ has a lot of unknowns still yet.

Derno24
05-01-2002, 08:16 PM
So why are you selling the Cannondale??? I think everyone is getting lost here. Money wise the Z400 is a good buy. That is of course if it is everything it says it is. The speed is a good quad but you have to have alot of upfront money so pick your poison.

JustRace
05-01-2002, 08:37 PM
Gabe isn't selling his dale. He is talking about the refurbished c-dales. They are basically the FX's with all the stuff that the new c-dales have for $5000.

Derno24
05-01-2002, 08:47 PM
Oh I didn't understand. They sound like a good deal. I paid $6,500 for mine

86atc250r
05-01-2002, 09:31 PM
Yep, not selling mine... The one in the link I posted is the one I bought for $5000...

Came with the MC1000, old style plastic, and new everything...

A buddy got one for the same price that had the newer style plastic, hydro clutch, and new everything.

I've heard there's not many left at that price so if anyone's considering picking up (which I would highly recommend if they are in the sport quad market), do it now....

XxXx~FLY~xXxX
05-01-2002, 09:33 PM
how much exactly are the new z-400's retailing for??????

JustRace
05-01-2002, 10:07 PM
5700 same as the EX

Guy400
05-02-2002, 04:45 AM
Boy, Gabe, that's the combo I was really looking for. A Cannibal with the 1000 computer and the Ohlins shocks. I thought I was going to have to buy the Speed in order to get that combination.

Taco
05-02-2002, 06:17 AM
Gabe who would you contact about getting one of these cheap cannondales?

Ben
05-02-2002, 06:42 AM
Yes I am interested as well.

Taco
05-02-2002, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by maoz
Yes I am interested as well.
Hey do you know where the closest dealer is located? I found one over in Gallopolis OH but i was wondering if you knew of any around you.

Ben
05-02-2002, 06:54 AM
Where are you located? There is a dealer in Charleston.

86atc250r
05-02-2002, 07:58 AM
Any dealer can get the deal, whether he will pass the savings to you is a his choice...

Check with Marcums and ATVAddiction.

http://www.motorcycle-atv-pwc.com/
http://www.atvaddiction.com/

Marcum's is in Florida, Atvaddiction is in Pennsylvania (I believe).

From what I understand some will come with Ohlins, all should have the MC1000, some come with a Hydro clutch, etc...

Mine came with everything but the Hydro clutch, couldn't be happier...

Oh yeah, they are titled as 2002 Cannibals (has a notation about "used rebuild" or something of that nature) and have a full factory warranty.

Good luck

Tommy 17
05-02-2002, 04:38 PM
good post rico!!!!! i can't wait to see one and ride one...

those c-dales look like a good deal...

Zero Z400
05-02-2002, 08:48 PM
I can't wait for my Z400. I have money down and getting the 3rd one to come to my dealer. They said it should be in may or june. They are pissing me off w/ the release date, they say end of march then april now may or june. If i get it in june hopefully i'll get the sweet @$$ white one. My dealer is charging $5100$ plus charges.

Taco
05-03-2002, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by maoz
Where are you located? There is a dealer in Charleston.

Huntington

05-04-2002, 01:01 AM
All I can say on this is I wouldn't buy the Z the first year out. Just like I wouldn't have bought the Raptor the first year out. A new Z is a gamble any way you look at it. If you buy a 400EX at least you know what you are getting, no questions asked, hands down. I am not saying the Z is not going to be a good quad. I am saying if I had to take a quad today I would choose a 400EX over new Z who knows what the Z is going to do? We will just have to wait and see. Also if you read the Review posted by Rico it doesn't take that much for a 400EX to run with a stock Z. A pipe and a jet kit and you run with a stock Z. Almost all of us run with a stock Z then. Yes of course what about when the Z has a pipe? Well then you spend more money. I wonder what a 416 does to a new Z? On another note, Honda has to have something up their sleeves for 2003 don't they? If they want to keep customers. I read in dirt wheels how a CF600 ( don't know if this is correct) dirtbike motor bolts right up in a 400EX frame. I wouldn't be surprise if you see the 4-stroke 650cc Honda dirt bike motor in the 400Ex frame for 2003.