02-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Just curious,what problems/weak links,are known with this
machine,I've already seen water pump seal failure,is this
a common occurence?,and Altenator failures,also starter gear
failure.I would like to know,so as I can keep an 'EYE' on these
parts.Thanks ND...:confused:

jlhughes750
02-04-2005, 12:10 PM
I raced in (21) 1.5 hour harescrambles last year, the 6 hours of Rausch Creek, Rausch GNCC and the Powerline PArk GNCC.........

1 DNF from a frt. sprocket being worn...................
the engine was never apart...ever...not even for a clutch...just fresh oil and filter every 3 hours of race time...

I ran GIBSON/Axis suspension and a Sparks exhaust and intake setup... I'm happy with the results and will continue to use the YFZ in the future. I left my lights ON all year and never had a charging issue....

As u can see from the pic, the bike was not ridden easy!!!

woodside83
02-05-2005, 12:28 AM
i think it is just a few freak problems that happen with them
i got mine in august of 03 and have not have a problem with it just change the oil every 3 hours and it will be ok

Lokiyfz450
02-05-2005, 03:29 AM
I purchased my YFZ July 03 and ride the crap out of it.

Problems:

Water pump seal/shaft

Oil seal behind counter shaft sproket

Motor mount

Swingarm cracked

Subframe is bent

Just recent I have noticed the frame cracking.

These are all small issues that can be taken care of.

I have broken more stuff but that is rider not the bike.

mx8
02-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Why would you change your oil every three hours? That would be after every ride for me. Just wondering.

Originally posted by woodside83
i think it is just a few freak problems that happen with them
i got mine in august of 03 and have not have a problem with it just change the oil every 3 hours and it will be ok :D

crayfz
02-09-2005, 03:55 AM
I change my oil after every 3 hr also, why, because it works. This is 3 hr of racing, not trail riding.

Jersey450R
02-09-2005, 04:02 AM
:eek:

mx8
02-09-2005, 05:01 AM
What made it burn? :(

tuefelhunden
02-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by mx8

TOO MUCH POWER:macho

02-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Bump start that thing I am sure it will still run.I bought my YFZ in July of 03. Just freshend up the motor a few weeks ago. I broke several things due to me hitting trees and that type of thing but nothing other than the battery going dead (1) time. it has a 12 hours of america on it along with about 25 GNCC or harescramble races on it.

roostin_dale
02-13-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by mx8
Why would you change your oil every three hours? That would be after every ride for me. Just wondering.

I change mine every weekend after a race....

So far no problems with mine....except a dead battery....

1iviper
02-15-2005, 06:32 PM
yfz problems
-----------------
not enough time to ride it

it eats all my money

takes days to wipe the smile from my face
and many washer cycles to clean my shorts
after a day of riding

jltld
02-15-2005, 09:30 PM
^^^^^LOL^^^^^^^^

blue416ex
02-19-2005, 08:30 PM
i think i know what made that yfz burn there was an electrical short and it caught fire thats what i had heard

atvrulz
02-20-2005, 06:22 AM
If it is an 04'
buy the yamaha gytr resistor kit for $50
buy the water pump weep seel kit for $12
buy an after market decompression plug $20
buy an after market air/fuel screw $20
If you do any mx racing, you might want to reinforce your frame and subframe. Otherwise, doing the above, is all most people do that i have heard, and the quad performs great.

SRH
02-20-2005, 09:26 AM
i havent had any problems with mine, i change my oil after every 2 times i ride it , usually a houre or less, every yfz owner should invest in a magnetic drain plug too and i change my oil filter every other time i do my oil

my one freind laughed at me when i said about changing the oil, his crank just went the other day...hes broken his frame, blown his crank broke 2 swingarms, had dead batterys , water pump seal failure...but he doesnt maintain his quad

blackyfz75
02-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Definitly watch out for the subframe i broke mine completly in half and ripped the bolts holding it on outta my frame.:blah:

racer113
02-28-2005, 11:23 AM
I broke: Rear shock shaft in half, Front Shock mounts, 2 upper a-arms, 1 Lowere a arms, craked year swing arm, Front shock mounts, tweaked lower half of frame, foot peg's like 5 times, subframe (built a new chromolly one), bent rear axle, rear rotor, front hub, both tie rods, blew the motor, broke the seat, craked rear plastic, and side plastic, steering stem, Throttle position sensor, light's for temp and oil, battery hold down,

Thats all I can remember off the topp of my head, Good Thing I have my own machine shop to fix all of the Yamaha part s that are cheaply made,

O yeah not to mention none off these broken parts were from a crash, Rubber side down problems

yfz439.0
03-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by mx8

I've heard of YFZ's burning because the decompression plug will blow out causing oil to spuu onto the head pipe and light of fire taking the wheeler along with it. I have an 05 motor so i don't have to worry about that.

Doober
03-03-2005, 08:42 PM
yea thats why i bought the decompression plug i dont need that to happen

Punk'd
03-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
:eek:

lmao

hoser 400ex
03-05-2005, 11:43 AM
haha ya but how much of that stuff broke when u rode a lap and a half of practice in little falls with a broken shock??? lol
I broke: Rear shock shaft in half, Front Shock mounts, 2 upper a-arms, 1 Lowere a arms, craked year swing arm, Front shock mounts, tweaked lower half of frame, foot peg's like 5 times, subframe (built a new chromolly one), bent rear axle, rear rotor, front hub, both tie rods, blew the motor, broke the seat, craked rear plastic, and side plastic, steering stem, Throttle position sensor, light's for temp and oil, battery hold down,

ketchup
03-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Any machine will break if you abuse it or ride it hard enough. With proper maintenance, this bike will remain reliable for as long as you own it.