PDA

View Full Version : Paddle Tires...

Breyon55
05-01-2002, 12:19 AM
OK i just got my new 2002 400ex and the g/f got her 02 300ex...still deciding on what paddles to get for pismo. Whats the pros and cons of str8 paddles and v shaped paddles..thanks...
Brian

Also what size for the 400 and the 300...:D

JOEX
05-01-2002, 09:48 AM
Straight paddles: Better for hills, drags.
V-paddles: Better for cornering, sliding.

Both will work fine in either situation. But there is a noticable difference.

Joe

MR.EX-TREME
05-01-2002, 03:14 PM
WHICHEVER YOU DECIDE ON STRAIGHT OR V PADDLE SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY AND GO WITH SCAT TRACK TIRES THEY HAVE THE BEST TRACTION OF ANY TIRE THE 9 PADDLE WORKS WELL ON THE EX I MADE THE MISTAKE OF NOT BUYING THEM I RUN V-SANDSHARKS ON ONE OF MINE SAND DEVILS ON ANOTHER AND PADDLE MASTERS ON MY WIFES NONE OF THEM HAVE THE BITE OF MY FREINDS 9-PADDLE SCAT TRACK HAULERS, JUST TRYING TO HELP!!LOL:devil

QuadJunkies
05-01-2002, 10:46 PM
We also have a 400ex,and a 300ex, and were wanting to know what to buy..depending on what and where you are riding(a lot depends on the type of sand too),I was told for our quads not to waist our time with v paddles. That TOTALLY surprised me!!SO...,I did try a pair of v paddles on my 300, and boy, was I dissapointed,it hardly made a difference.Now, on the 400ex, they were ok.(still not great though).If you are doing any climbing, you may want to try a new tire that is out(highly reccomened from an Atv outfit out of St .Anthonys Idaho)its called a turbo paddle, and i guess it has been a big hit at St. Anthonys,so I ordered them for the 300ex.These are simular to the hauler tire.Skat Trak is too pricey, and maybe try the Kenda in a 20x12x9 v paddle if you are dead set on a v paddle.I would also go with the ITP for the rims.A lot is a persons preference,and the type of riding you are doing.Let me know what you end up with? good luck! :)

Breyon55
05-02-2002, 12:01 AM
im so damn confused now..i have no idea where to start...with a st8 paddle can you still pitch it sideways w/o a problem....please help..thanks and does rim thickness really matter im not gonna be jumpin my quad like i do my motox...until i get used to it...should i say screw and just get the .190's.
Thanks brian

gojk
05-02-2002, 12:29 AM
Sand is soft to jump in so I would just get the .125, or if you are worried get the .160. The .190 are a little much for sand IMO. I definatly would get the Skat Trak if you have the money. I have no prob slidding the back end around. I think it also helps to put on a 14t sprocket when you are in sand.

shane
05-02-2002, 12:36 AM
Most people can not pitch sideways with straight paddles.
If you really want to pitch sideways in the sand you should go with the Gecko!
The Gecko design makes total sense. I'm surprised no one thought of it before.

Shane

skull
05-02-2002, 04:21 AM
for the 300ex I'd recomend dune hoppers 22". they're straight paddles. I get way more traction than my buddy on his warrior with angles. I can out climb him any day. but, he can turn on a dime.
since the 300ex is underpowered for the dunes, go with the straights. you wont be disappointed!
I have not tryed the geckos.
I got the dune tracker fronts to help with steering. they do help a lot.

skull
05-02-2002, 04:23 AM
O yeah,
I got 'em at rockymountainatv.com (http://www.rockymountainatv.com), they gave me a super deal.

QuadJunkies
05-02-2002, 02:04 PM
Breyon55~~When it comes to rims,all you should need is a .125 for the sand, regardless if your jumping or not.Since the sand is soft, the .125 is just fine,if you feel compelled, go with the .160 but, not the.190,way too much for your needs.Go with the ITP rim too.As far as the 300ex goes, you wont be able to get good turning and climbing with any tire.Its kinda a pick and choose,climbing or turning. Your best bet is to stay with a straight paddle on the 300,and the 400 you can go with either.If the dunes arent too steep,you could do the v paddle.Skull is right when it comes to the 300,it lacks power ,so stay with the straight paddle.Oh, I have heard good and bad about the gecko tire, you might want to see how it does on the EX.

twisted threads
05-02-2002, 04:36 PM
I have the 20x10x10 Skat-Trak Haulers on both of my Honda's and they work great for all types of riding. I can power slide just fine with the haulers its not no big deal you just got to play around and figure it out. I would stay away from 22' tires if I was you but that is my opinion. As for the V blades I have rode bikes with them and I don't really care for them to much. I also herd that the Sand Tires Unlimited PaddleBrats were a good sand tire.
As for wheels I have the .160 on my bikes because there is lots of things out there to bend your wheels. Take St. Anthonys for example, there are some times lava rock at the bottom of some of hills there and you can easily bend a wheels, just my 2 cents. on the subject:cool:

JOEX
05-02-2002, 10:13 PM
It's not that difficult to kick it sideways with straight paddles, you just have to use a little more body english. It IS much easier with the v-paddles though. I found this out for sure just last tuesday after riding a couple of friends 400's with v-paddles.
I'm going to stick with the straight paddles for now because I like the extra hook up for climbing hills.
But I also like riding the trails at the dunes, where the v-paddles perform better.
Hmmm...I just might have to give them Geckos a try....

Hope I didn't make your decision more difficult!

Joe

Note: If there are a lot of trees/roots where you ride, consider going with the thicker rims. I have 20x10x9 Haulers on .125 douglas and have a minor bend in the edge of one but it still holds air.

Breyon55
05-03-2002, 10:06 AM
Thank you everyone for your input. I think im gonna go with the str8 paddles for now....20x10x10 or 9 on douglas .160 rims. When I have the extra cash i might get a pair of the v paddles n see how they do......brian:devil

QuadJunkies
05-03-2002, 10:21 AM
Let us all know how you like your paddles.Im going to ST. Anthonys next month, so ill let you all know how the new" turbo paddles" do! :)