PDA

View Full Version : 300ex - need tech help on rear bearing carrier

ProComp
02-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Just bought a 300ex. When I took the rear wheels off I noticed that the axles move around a little in the carrier. Looks like I have to remove the sprocket and brakes caliper etc. Can anyone pass along some hints as to how that whole assembly comes a part and what parts I will probably need to make it good as new? I see on ebay there are people selling rear bearing and seal kits. Is that what I probably need?
Thanks. This looks like a great site for EX owners.

Jonesy
02-04-2005, 08:33 PM
you have to remove the hub on the right side when standing at the rear of the quad (brake side) back off the lock nut and axle nut and remove the c-clip fromt he axle. take off the brake caliper. Then slide the axle nut and brake disc off the axle. remove the large c-clip front the bearing carrier and the brake caliper holder should slide off. take the chain off. Take out the bolt in the bottom of the swing arm and loosen the adjusting bolts for the axle carrier. The whole assembly should slide out.
It most likely needs new bearings and seals but we have had problems with the axle wearing on 300's as well. The easist way to get the bearings out is to remove the seals and put the carrier in the freezer. once it is cold, knock the carrier on a piece of wood and the bearings should fall out. Do the process in revers to put back together, just make sure not to dammage the carrier when installing the new bearings and put in plenty of grease.

ProComp
02-04-2005, 11:55 PM
That is exactly the information I was looking for. Hope the axles are OK.

Aceman
02-05-2005, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Jonesy
The easist way to get the bearings out is to remove the seals and put the carrier in the freezer. once it is cold, knock the carrier on a piece of wood and the bearings should fall out. Do the process in revers to put back together, just make sure not to dammage the carrier when installing the new bearings and put in plenty of grease.

You want to put the carrier in the oven for a few minutes to expand the aluminum carrier. Freezing it would shrink the carrier making it harder to get the bearings out. It's the bearings you want to freeze. Here you go: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16357:D

ProComp
02-05-2005, 11:21 AM
I was thinking the same thing and have used the oven thing to get bearings out of the top of outboards as well! Now to find some big wrenches to start on this project!

ProComp
02-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Everything is out and cleaned. Anyone have a part number to reference off the seal? I could make out the number on the bearing but the seals were gone? Anyone buy the kits from ebay? How proud is Honda of these bearings, seals and O-rings?
Thanks again

Aceman
02-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Glad it worked for you:cool: I bought my bearing/seal kit off Ebay for 20 plus shipping. Probably not as good as Honda but they last long enough for me. Check this site out for 300ex parts and prices if you want factory Honda parts. www.servicehonda.com It will also give you part #'s.