PDA

View Full Version : Will 400ex Elkas work good on a Z??

jdwxv3
02-04-2005, 05:38 AM
I was just wondering if the 400ex shocks would work good on a z400? I got the shocks on and they seem to fit and look alright but I have not rode it yet. Anyone else try this if so how did it work? The shocks are ZPS elka tripple rates if that matters. Thanks, Josh

ZSK
02-04-2005, 06:24 AM
Front and rear the shocks will bolt up, but the geometry itself will be off. The shocks will react differently than ones made for a Z.

cdalejef
02-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Z400 has more stroke than Honda, this means that you will over extend your balljoints causing failure in a short amount of time.

TBD
02-04-2005, 09:42 AM
The location of the shock mount is almost the exact same as the 400ex. The length of the shock is really close to the same. As far as over extending the ball joints, I don't there is any issue there. The length of the two arms is a little bit different but not enough to cause any problem. Like Elka told me a couple of weeks ago" Whats it matter if it's +2.2 or +3, it's pretty much all the same". I don't agree with that but since you have Elkas that should answer your question. By the way, you didn't say whether it was standard or long shock because that might make a difference.

cdalejef
02-04-2005, 10:00 AM
There is an issue! Is not that simple. Even if the shocks are the exact same lenght there can still be differences in how far the shock is allowed to travel. In this case the Z400 shocks do travel farther and will cause harm to the ball joints on the Honda. I'm not making this up, it is a fact!

Tortured Z
02-04-2005, 10:14 AM
There is an issue! Is not that simple. Even if the shocks are the exact same lenght there can still be differences in how far the shock is allowed to travel. In this case the Z400 shocks do travel farther and will cause harm to the ball joints on the Honda. I'm not making this up, it is a fact!
He's puting shocks from a 400ex on a z400. Also if that were the case my Elkas have over 1" more travel than my stockers and added stress on the ball joints are not an issue. Now if he were trying to put LT shocks on stock a-arms then the ball joint problem would be an issue.

You should be fine, the geometry is pretty much the same. the only real difference is the 400ex shocks are a little shorter but the Elkas should give you more travel, so you'll be right back to stock travel on the Z.

cdalejef
02-04-2005, 10:20 AM
Ok then he is going to blow through the travel sooner than he should. The geometery IS different!

Tortured Z
02-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Ok then he is going to blow through the travel sooner than he should. The geometery IS different!
There have been quite a few people putting 450r shocks on the Z400 without one problem. I geuss we need to tell the after market shock builders to not give us more travel with their shocks, our ball joints will break.

cdalejef
02-04-2005, 10:40 AM
You just don't get it to ya?

TBD
02-04-2005, 11:46 AM
The geometry is almost identical Jeff. You obviouslly don't know. I've been designing and building suspension components for 15 years now. I believe I do know and what Tortured Z said is right. What is the difference in geometry between the two, Jeff. Lets hear some numbers. I have them right in front of me. It's just like that time you said that with the TCS and Elka shock side by side you could tell how much better the Elka was. I asked you to tell me what you based that on and you never responded. I've taken several courses on shock design from one of the best in the business and I do know what to look for when it comes down to which is better or not. You know a lot about product but I don't think you have the technical background to tell people which is better or not. Enough said.

cdalejef
02-04-2005, 12:08 PM
I'm not going to get into a big debate with you, but yes I am factory trained in suspension design and repair! If you want to tell people false information and you can live with the guilt when someone gets hurt then go right ahead.

Rico
02-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Here's an idea that I spent hours and hours and hours testing and documenting.

How about putting Z400 shocks on your Z400.......:confused:

I haven't figured out why so many people want to half *** build a quad with 20 different parts from 20 different quads...:confused:
Do it right or don't do it at all.

For the people that say YES it's ok to run this part on your quad even though it wasn't designed for it, are YOU going to pay for their hospital bills when that product fails??????

m250r
02-04-2005, 12:52 PM
dude just the fact that you are actually going to argue with Jeff is rediculous!!! the man is a PROfessional rider. PROfessional. Say it with me now. He knows what he is talking about..trust me.

TBD
02-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Jeff, thanks for clearing the issue with your background in the technical aspect of the product. Your right on one thing. I was giving false info without knowing what the exact dimensions of the actaul Elka shocks that he is talking about. Rico is right that it is not the best way to go about improving your suspension. As for M250R, I happen to have the knowledge and exprience to back up what I say. Profesional rider has nothing to do with it.

m250r
02-04-2005, 01:28 PM
i was just trying to say that he knows what he is talking about not only through experience but from training

TBD
02-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Now that I have that information about him I would agree. I'm still the type of person who needs more info then he has given in the past to admit that I was incorrect when I disagree.

rollie
02-04-2005, 01:52 PM
lol...some people just dont get it after you explain it 10000 times......

if your going to get new shocks get ones made for YOUR bike....if they where univerisal they would only sell 1 model.....:ermm:

Rico
02-04-2005, 02:02 PM
I'm glad we're all gettin along now.....:D

I just got off the phone with Elka..

Z400 shocks are 17 inches.

400ex are 16 1/4

THEY DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU INTERCHANGE THESE SHOCKS.

m250r
02-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by TBD
Now that I have that information about him I would agree. I'm still the type of person who needs more info then he has given in the past to admit that I was incorrect when I disagree.

Haha I am exactly the same way:rolleyes:

Tortured Z
02-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Well there you have it.

jdwxv3
02-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Hey thanks guys! The reason I asked was because I just got this z400.I have a 400ex with elkas on it that I am going to sell stock. Once I sell the 400 I am going to get long travel to put on my Z. I was just wondering if the 400ex elkas would work for a race or two, I am not half azzing the quad I just dont have $1,500 laying around to get long travel shocks, I wish I did. But thanks, for all the info guys I really appriciate it!! Later, Josh

4StrokinJay
02-04-2005, 07:46 PM
I suppose this post is late but I was in that same situation as jdwxv3 and even though I measured everything on each quad and put the Elkas on my Z off of the EX and they felt ok...more then 1 shock builder told me that it was not a good idea, giving me the same explanation as Jeff gave...

sprtrx300ex
02-05-2005, 07:06 AM
Jeff,

Is it ok to run long travel Raptor shocks on a 300ex with 400ex arms and 250r tie rods?

J/P

jdwxv3
02-05-2005, 07:27 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sprtrx300ex
[B]Jeff,

Is it ok to run long travel Raptor shocks on a 300ex with 400ex arms and 250r tie rods?

Nice awnser to my question. Smart ***

;) :devil: I am not an idiot, I just did not know, b/c they bolted right up. They were a bit shorter but they are zps and thought that maybe, just maybe they would work and save me some cash for a while. But they wont:( and that sucks

sprtrx300ex
02-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Elkas keep they're value really well. I just sold my tipple rate elkas with piggy backs for $500, that I have for a year or so. I bought them for $550.

Sprttrx400ex
02-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Hold on tight cause it'll be a bumpy ride!

LuckyCharms
02-06-2005, 10:31 AM
what about long travel shocks - would LT z400 shocks fit on a 400ex after being revalved - does anyone know if there is a physical size difference?

rollie
02-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by LuckyCharms
what about long travel shocks - would LT z400 shocks fit on a 400ex after being revalved - does anyone know if there is a physical size difference?

no

:chinese:

sprtrx300ex
02-07-2005, 09:57 AM
no,

Long travel shocks are just that, shocks set up so you have more travel. Therefor the shock bodies and shaft lenths are different (bigger) then stock sized shocks. Just look for some shocks setup for you and your bike on ebay or in the classifieds on this site.