PDA

View Full Version : rough ride

zlam27
02-03-2005, 09:32 PM
hey guys, quick question....
i have an 01' 400ex and my friend has an 03' 400ex and they are both set up about the same (just bolt on mods). they both have approximately the same hours on them and the suspensions are set up the same (i did it on purpose to check my problem). i weigh 140# and he weighs 165# and my quad rides rougher and gets a lot more vibration through the handlebars then his does.

i admit that my suspension probably isnt set up right (or his), but we have switched quads and his rides a lot smoother than mine (im mainly talking about the front shocks). we both have fairly low hours so im pretty sure my shocks arent shot yet. any ideas what could be the problem??

BTW: im an agressive trail rider, does anyone have any suspension setting suggestions for my weight and riding style (front preload and rear comp. and reb. adjustments). thanks.

zach

mikeman828
02-04-2005, 04:32 AM
First thing to check is the settings on the shocks themselves, make sure they match your buddies setting....

Check to see if one or both of your tie-rods are bent.

other things to check are the ball joint or wheel bearings, maybe even steering stem.

I would recommend jacking up the front end and wiggle each front tire. Try to locate if there is a lot of play.

Sounds like something is worn in the front end causing slop....

Just my opinion........

2001400exrider
02-04-2005, 03:51 PM
my front wheels have quite a bit of play?? is this normal?

zlam27
02-04-2005, 05:44 PM
ill give the front end a good check, that was about the only thing i could come up with either.

does anyone else have any ideas? for example, if there are some tree roots across a trail or any other small obstacles, i will feel everything i hit through the bars. its not so harsh i cant hold on, but its worse than i think it should be. i guess this just gives me a reason to buy aftermarket front shocks.

zach

Hoggr9
02-06-2005, 07:32 AM
Different tires and different air pressures can make alot of difference as to the amount of feedback you get throught the bars.

kruzofman
02-07-2005, 11:05 PM
how good do steering dampers work?.....for rough trails

zlam27
02-10-2005, 10:32 PM
from what i hear, a dampner and a set of good shocks will basically transform the handling 10x over. ive had both on my "to buy" list for a while. maybe they will help the roughness of my front end.

zach