PDA

View Full Version : 440 and heat

DUNEZRUNNER
02-03-2005, 05:09 PM
I am planning on building me a 440 engine for my 400 but I am concerned with how much hotter my bike is going to run. I ride mainly in the desert and at the dunes. Would I be able to get away with the stock oil tank and cooler or should I get an oversized oil tank and and another cooler to it.

Thanks
Thomas

Big - D Racing
02-03-2005, 05:21 PM
An aftermarket oil tank only lowers your oil temp like 2 to 3 degrees, if you have the money laying around buy it, otherwise that isn't a big issue. The best thing you can buy is a secondary oil kit like four stroke tech's and a set of air scoops to direct more air to the engine.

MarkyNark
02-03-2005, 06:15 PM
I did the ACE oil tank and run U4 fuel, which burns a lot like alcohol fuel in regards to temperature. The combination helped me - I am now cooler than stock.

pnut420
02-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by DUNEZRUNNER
I am planning on building me a 440 engine for my 400 but I am concerned with how much hotter my bike is going to run. I ride mainly in the desert and at the dunes. Would I be able to get away with the stock oil tank and cooler or should I get an oversized oil tank and and another cooler to it.

Thanks
Thomas

Do the four stroker oil cooler. It reroutes the way the oil goes into the motor, it lets the oil go directly on the valvetrain from the oil cooler instead of just the oil pump sucking it from the bottom end(which will be hotter. I think the oil cooler might be a double pass also, not positive. I got a oil tank for my YFZ and dont plan on loosing much temperature wise, just wants looks and fit a little more oil.

Also like Marky said run race gas at least 100 octane of some sort... U4 is good stuff but pricey

Big - D Racing
02-03-2005, 07:20 PM
That's right I forgot about race gas. The octane doesn't matter much it all is pretty much over 100 if you want higher go ahead. The thing that you want to make sure is that it is leaded race gas not unleaded. The lead is wat actually helps cool your valves down.

DUNEZRUNNER
02-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks for all of the replys. I think the second cooler sounds like a good idea. I run AV-GAS in my bike right now so the octane part is all good as well as the leaded part. I was just thinking that the extra capacity of the larger tank would cool it also.

thanks for the replys

THOMAS

Plante400
02-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Do scoops make that much a difference. how much will it lower temp