PDA

View Full Version : An Accident insurance question

fasterz
02-03-2005, 04:08 PM
the other day my sister was rear ended on i95 while in a traffic jam and the girl did not see that the traffic was stopped and slammed into the back of my sister. it was clearly her fault as stated by the police. we just found out the girl doesnt have insurance and she was in her sisters car. the bill came to $4000 for repair to my sisters car. the girl said she would pay for the damage but then found out it was that much and said she coulndt pay it. what do we do? it seems like were going to have to pay for this and it wasnt even her fault and the girl isnt even getting in trouble, isnt there some kind of law against this? any ideas on here of what we need to do to get the money from ehr to pay for the repairs? thanks

clarkymckrash
02-03-2005, 04:12 PM
the girl should have been arrested for not having insurance(unless you live in one of those states that doesnt require it) and even so you can sue the crap out of her:cool:

ACHI
02-03-2005, 04:33 PM
I work in the legal field so i see this all the time.

First Q. does the girls sister have ins.?
Second Q. does your sister have uninsured motorist coverage?

You can try to sue her but if she has no money you will never get your money back.

1 more Q was this girl under 18 if so u can go after her parents ins if they have any.

To anyone who doesnt have uninsured motorist coverage i highly recomend you get some or this could happen to you. Its a sad fact of life.

fasterz
02-03-2005, 04:47 PM
the girl lied to the police and told them that she did have insurance, i dont know how the hell she got away with that becuase they are suppsoed to see your ins card which obviously she doesnt have. and the girl is over 18. were not sure if my sister has uninsured moterist insurance but will find out tomrrow becuase we will call and ask. my mom is going to call the philadelphia police and ask them about the police report and why they think she has insurance when she called us and told us she lied to them. what can we sue for and how expensive does that get? can we sue for more than the damage done to the car? what happens if we sue and she doesnt have the money to pay? thank you so much for all this help, this is really pissing me off and im trying to help out my sister whos hard enought for money while attending college trying to become a doctor.

fasterz
02-03-2005, 05:22 PM
we called our insurance and asked if we had the uninsured accident thing and they said in pennsylvania it can only be used when there is a bodily injury. so they said they cant do any thing. this is freakin rediculas that people can drive around and hit people and never get in any trouble or pay for any thing.

chucked
02-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by fasterz
we called our insurance and asked if we had the uninsured accident thing and they said in pennsylvania it can only be used when there is a bodily injury. so they said they cant do any thing. this is freakin rediculas that people can drive around and hit people and never get in any trouble or pay for any thing.

police are to blame, what I bet happened is her sister had insurance and she showed them that, but they didnt check to see if she was on her sisters policy, go to her sisters insurance company.

bulkdriverlp
02-03-2005, 06:39 PM
the cops should have given her ticket for not having ins. thats b.s. i guess youll have to sue for the money...

ACHI
02-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Get a copy of the police report if you dont have it already. It should list the ins company and policy num if one was givin. I dont now about in pa but here in cal the ins follows the car. If there is a policy num on the police report persue that.

shogun_98
02-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Im pretty sure in PA insurance does follow the car

Jackie
02-04-2005, 10:49 AM
your sister needs to claim it on her own insurance then her insurance company will go after the other party.

honduh440
02-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Jackie
your sister needs to claim it on her own insurance then her insurance company will go after the other party.

yes exactly a friend of mine got rear ended by a uninsured driver. He got screwed by having to pay for the deductable but his insurence covered his car and the insurence company sued the guy that hit him

praetorian
02-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Some helpful info.....

Always get a police report even if you are at fault. It keeps you safe from them changing their story. They couls say they got hurt more than they did or say there was more damage done.