PDA

View Full Version : anyone tried the wiseco 10:1

barbwire44
09-07-2001, 05:59 AM
Just wondering if anyone has installed a wiseco 10:1, And if it made any difference.

moto93
09-07-2001, 08:13 AM
I have the Wiseco 10:1 piston in mine! I also put in a Web 450/451 grind cam at the same time. It's DEFINATELY worth doing. I used to run a 14 tooth sprocket when it was stock for a little more low end but when I did the piston/cam upgrade I put the 15 back on. Tons of power! GO FOR IT!

Revin300EX
09-07-2001, 08:19 PM
Is that for the 400EX? Ive got an 11:1 piston in my 300...

09-07-2001, 09:20 PM
Hey Revin. That picture under your name, well I have that sticker in the back glass of my truck.:square

max400EX
09-08-2001, 12:09 AM
Web 450/451 grind cam

Where did you get power increases on the power band from that cam? Did you have to hardface or do any valve work? Thanks a TON!

Foxrage
09-08-2001, 07:38 AM
Y dont you just buy the 416 kit instead so you have more power. Y would you waste your money on a biston when you can get a 416 kit fo a few bucks more.

Revin300EX
09-08-2001, 07:41 AM
Cams dont REALLY make you much faster, but they can change where the power is in the RPM range. Thats why...

moto93
09-08-2001, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by max400EX
Web 450/451 grind cam

Where did you get power increases on the power band from that cam? Did you have to hardface or do any valve work? Thanks a TON!

It increased power everywhere but maybe the most at the mid range. You don't have to do the hardened rocker thing or mess with the valve springs but you do need to press the cam gear off the old cam and press it on the new one. I got mine from Ritter Cycle Racing and he (Rick) did the cam gear thing for me.

Hope this helps,

400exRacerX
09-08-2001, 10:01 PM
when boring the enigine out it decreases the life of the engine by alot more then normal wear, don't get me wrong going to a high compression stock bore piston will wear your engine out quicker then a stock piston but no weres as much wear as a high comp bored piston. putting a new cam in does increase power depending on which type you get, some do just change the way the power is delivered but some add power. A cam that opens the valves up higher and keeps the valves open longer will give you a great power increase, although you will now need more gas delivered to the engine because the cam needs more gas to run. you might be suprised on how much power increasement you get from a high compression stock bore piston and a new cam combo!
when messing with a engines power displacement it is a very messing and stressful thing, it just keeps sitting in your head "now which is the next weakest link?" when you buy a motorized vehicle stock all the parts it comes with are designed to work with each other and handle each others power displacement. right now i am currently building a 1/4 drag car and its been so stressful, i thought i was going to dump all this money into my engine and have the fastest car on the track, well i was wrong. i put alot of money into the engine, took it to the track and what happened? i blew the trans! i put the new trans in and then what happened? i twisted the drive shaft! new drive shaft installed, now i thought i was set, wrong! took it to the track blew the rear! its endless when messing with a vehicles engine, not just a car any type of vehicle, but when everything is right its one hell of a ride!

Leo
09-09-2001, 06:44 AM
If the motor doesn't need to be bored, I see no real reason to jump up to a 416... Just go with a stock bore high-comp piston..

Most of the power gain comes from the higher compression, not the 4% jump in compression..

Also, when it does become time for a bore job, you can just have it bored out to a 416, instead of having to have it re-sleeved.

Leo

crday98
09-09-2001, 10:20 AM
i heard the JE piston is lighter than the WISECO,you might want to look into that before you decide.

nakomis0
09-09-2001, 11:16 AM
a note about lighter pistons, you have to remove metal to lighten the piston, possibly making the piston weaker. So you might want to look into that too. Im sure it doesn't make it much less reliable, but it does a little.

max400EX
09-09-2001, 12:49 PM
Might I remind you all taht we are not on 2 strokes here.. we dotn need a bore every 50 hours.. We need a bore probably 1 time every 2 years.

crday98
09-10-2001, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
a note about lighter pistons, you have to remove metal to lighten the piston, possibly making the piston weaker. So you might want to look into that too. Im sure it doesn't make it much less reliable, but it does a little.

not flaming but from what i heard a JE piston is far better than a wiseco.the machining and quality is supposed to be better between the two.this could be why it is lighter:confused:

this is coming from my mechanic who works along with LRD and has built quads for pro racers.

what is good enough for him is good enough for me