PDA

View Full Version : exaust systems for 400ex..

400exrider26
02-03-2005, 04:36 AM
I know this question has been asked many times on many diffrent quads but i want to here what you guys run and recommend for a pipe for my 400ex (no mods except one listed below). I ride in the woods mainly and i would like something that doesant cost me a ton of money, but something that is reliable and worth the money. Something that will give me a little more power.

throwinitup
02-03-2005, 05:27 AM
big gun race, hmf, sparks...if you wanna save money and dont plan on doing engine mods in the future, get a slip on and grind the welds in your headers, and then get it ceramic coated. if you want another cheap mod, i suggest a hotcam stage 1 or a xr400 camshaft.

sharkinthepool
02-03-2005, 05:32 AM
Woods as in your woods or woods as in state parks.

Your woods: whatever you want to run, GT Thunder, Curtis Sparks, LRD, HMF

State parks: Yoshimura, HMF with quiet core and spark arrestor:rolleyes: , most likely kill the big power gain but you would still gain something.

BLEEDRED
02-03-2005, 05:47 AM
A lot of people don't like White Brothers but I have a White Brothers E-Series that I am getting rid of. It's tunable with spark arrestor...PM me if you are interested.

sharkinthepool
02-03-2005, 07:04 AM
Why? what is wrong with the white brothers? If you take all the plates off of them and put a duckbill or turn down on them and chop the canister a few inches to put it under the plastics, they are pretty sweet.:devil:

BamaRider
02-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Go with HMF. You won't be disapointed.

CRE Performance
02-03-2005, 10:52 AM
While were at this subject to keep from starting another thread.......I have a question. On my 02 400 EX Im running a Pro-Circuit T4 silencer with header work. This beeotch will rattle windows. Is there another pipe out there that flows good but is quiet? Im leaning toward the Yoshi but I havent had much feedback or report on it. Does the Yoshi flow as good or better than what I have and is it quite, or do you have other suggestions?

400exrider26
02-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Ok, all the exausts you guys listed i am gunna look into, but how loud are they. I like a little loud noise but not something to get me kicked off the trail. But is it sacraficing power if i would get a quiter after market pipe? If i am i wouldent care about the noise and just get thre pipe anyway. what about one of those e-series made by white brothers that has those plates that lets you control the noise or any other system like that??

BLEEDRED
02-03-2005, 01:44 PM
what about one of those e-series made by white brothers that has those plates that lets you control the noise or any other system like that??

That is what I have that I am selling...e-series. They are super tunable and have a spark arrestor. You can make them quiet with less plates or louder with more plates. Or you can run without the endcap (spard arrestor) and really make a lot of noise. Some people have complained about welds cracking, but I have not had a problem. I've only had the pipe for about a year but am getting rid of it becuase I have a 440 and needed a full system.

400exrider26
02-03-2005, 01:57 PM
My honda dealer recommended these pipes, what do you all think of their recommendations? ..... also, that e-series..does all those plates for the noise come with it when u get one new? How many? and does it come with a stock arrester or do u have to buy one? P.S-do u have to get a header pipe for all the power or can u get a slip on that actually works?
1.FMF Powercore
2.White Brothers e-2
3.Pro Circuit t4

thanks for all your help guys

Myrtle150
02-03-2005, 02:05 PM
I just got a white bros R-4 the other day and i love the thing!! Lots of power increase

BLEEDRED
02-03-2005, 02:06 PM
The White Brothers e-series comes with 12 plates and the back plate (spark arrestor). I think you can run up to 24 plates but you have to get different bolts to hold it on.

IMO for a stock set up the stock head pipe works fine. So you should just be looking for a slip on exhaust. You also might want to grind the welds on the stock header to help flow.

The plates are also not just for noise...they control the flow...more plates equals more flow and higher end power...less plates equals less flow and more low end grunt.

400exrider26
02-03-2005, 02:15 PM
do i have to adjust the jetting everytime i switch the plates around? so the more plates the more flow and the more power, does that also make it quiter though? and how does it give it more flow with MORE plates? and less plates gives it less airflow and it is louder?

BLEEDRED
02-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I just rejetted once I added the pipe and air filter...I never worried about the jetting when switching plates. But I would imagine you will figure out how many plates you want to run and then leave it there. I only switched if I was going to the dunes.

Each time you add a plate you are adding more spacing for the air to escape thus allowing more flow and more sound. The plates have the center cut out them...I just ran with no end cap most of the time so the amount of plates didn't matter...it was just wide open. But with no end cap there is no way to capture sparks. But I still never had a problem.

400exrider26
02-03-2005, 02:33 PM
oh, just to possitivly make sure to make a decision. more plates equals more flow which gives more power and makes more noise, less plates equal lesser flow which gives it less power but it is quiter. also what does the endcap do? isnt it like a spark arrestor or is that the back plate or something? what do u think on the new wb e-2? and the other pipes?

BLEEDRED
02-03-2005, 02:42 PM
more plates equals more flow which gives more power and makes more noise

Correct, but gives more power in the upper RPM range (top end).

less plates equal lesser flow which gives it less power but it is quiter

Correct, but gives more power in the lower RPM range (bottom end).

It all depends on your riding style and the terrian you ride. That's what is nice about fully tunable exhaust. Sorry I mis-spoke...the end cap, or probably the correct term would be back plate allows the pipe to be tunable. Without it everything flows striaght out the back. The back plate also stops any sparks.

I don't have much experience with other pipes...just what I have read on this site. I went with a Sparks X-6 (full system) to help open up the power on my 440.

I was very happy with my WB e-series, it's just time to move on to bigger and better things. A cammed 440 with mild port and polish is deserving of full race exhaust.