PDA

View Full Version : 86 250r

baseballplaya23
02-02-2005, 06:50 PM
hey i just picked up a 86 250r that is really clean. i am just wondering if there is any pretty cheap ways to get some more power out of it. i have a lrd pipe and lrd silencer on it. i am going to use it for flat tracking. let me know if you have any ways of doin this. thanks

Tom TRX250R
02-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Depending on what you mean by cheap??? A good port/polish job, 38 A/S carb is a great choice for the R motor, Aftermarket reed cage like V-force or Rad valve and thats about all the "cheap mods" you can do. If you really want to wake the motor up, consider an ESR big bore. Hope that helps. Tom

JTRtrx250r
02-03-2005, 01:46 AM
Yep..Im w/ Tom, only so much you'll get w/ over the counter mods:( ESR or FTZ are the guys to talk to about building a flattrack/TT motor, Both are well known w/ microsprints also and have done the homework;) :macho :macho :macho

wilkin250r
02-03-2005, 09:39 AM
The next "cheap" mod you can get would be a set of reeds, but that's about as far as you can go with cheap, bolt-on mods.

I would suggest suspension mods next, but we'll keep the topic limited to the motor. The next motor mod would be a complete porting and head modification. Most any big-name shop that does porting will also modify your stock head for higher compression, and they usually have a package deal. You can also go with an aftermarket head, which will give you interchangable domes and more versatility, but also adds to the price.

If you get porting done, be sure to get it matched to your existing pipe, or replace your pipe to match your porting.

baseballplaya23
02-03-2005, 10:36 AM
if i get porting done what else do i need to get to make it work. will the piston and stuff i have right now still work if i get it ported?