PDA

View Full Version : walsh a arms MUST LOOK

yfzracer86
02-02-2005, 05:47 PM
if anyone has a set of walsh a arms on there yfz450 with 18 inch lt shocks, i need to know some measurments. i need to know where the lower shock mount sits when the quad is lifted up. im trying to make a set but i need to know what to make first.

TBD
02-03-2005, 08:22 AM
I see this type of post a lot. It's nice to see that you want to build your own arms but why don't you take the time like the rest of us suspension designers have done and do the math to figure out where the best location is for the shock mount instead of just copying it. How do you know if what your copying is correct. There is a lot more to building suspension components then just a couple of tubes bieng welded together.

QuadRacer041
02-03-2005, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by TBD
I see this type of post a lot. It's nice to see that you want to build your own arms but why don't you take the time like the rest of us suspension designers have done and do the math to figure out where the best location is for the shock mount instead of just copying it. How do you know if what your copying is correct. There is a lot more to building suspension components then just a couple of tubes bieng welded together.

you are 100% right man, im not even a welder but i do know that you just cant make a mount the same distance as someone else's and expect it to be right.
no offense but if you need to ask that question you are not experianced enough to build your own a arms

yfzracer86
02-03-2005, 12:40 PM
well turns out i really dont need the measurements any more. my uncle and i have already came up with a pretty good idea what, and how were going to biuld these a arms. we have came up with a aluminum desighn and are planning on making them but were going to have to biuld them a little bulky so that its strong enuff. i would love to make it out of chrome molly but am unsure where to get it.i looked in the yellow pages for and couldnt find it. how is regular steal? if i used that would 1 1/8 od with a .125-.200 wall thickness? im trying to learn how to make these, my uncle is over capable of doin it by himself, but were working on it together.
your right about copying them that is pretty ****ty, but i needed a place to start. I def need to do my home work, but thats why i posted this in the first place:confused:
-kevin

yfzracer86
02-03-2005, 12:47 PM
[i] if you need to ask that question you are not experianced enough [/B]
your gay, ill ask what i want to ask (no offense):ermm:

QuadRacer041
02-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by yfzracer86
your gay, ill ask what i want to ask (no offense):ermm:

im gay, lol
thats not what your mom told while i was plowin her the other day

yfzracer86
02-03-2005, 12:49 PM
lol

TBD
02-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Steel doesn't have enough memory. Going thicker wall would help but then your increasing the wieght. You can get chromoly in whatever length you want from Aircraft Spruce. They have a online catalog. Like I said, it's nice to see that your willing to give it a try but definently do your own homework because you will learn more. Also you should remember that the whole quad is depending those arms to hold up, if they fail it could be very dangerous. I won't give you measurements but would be more then willing to give advise.

yfzracer86
02-03-2005, 02:50 PM
do you have any suggestions on where to get some good information, or is it more about meeasuring and firguring out the best dementions? im pretty good in math, so i will be able to measure, and do my math.

ReconRider25
02-05-2005, 06:51 PM
^^its not just measurments you have to get the right geometry too. certain spots will have more stress on them then others so you want to get the bends and such right to balance it out so theres no weak spots. also it has to perform correctly have be able to have a fluid motion so it will handle correctly. i suggest you dont bother trying to do this as your in way over your head by the sounds of it.

yfzracer86
02-05-2005, 10:06 PM
im gana do it! ill post pics if somone could post them for me ubt not right now. :devil:

R3Concepts
02-06-2005, 01:09 PM
TBD said it the best. Dont be jumping into something like a-arms with no jimmy hat on. They are extremely easy to screw up, and you really need to research what kind of ball joints/ heim joints you are going to use for spindle mounts, that includes spacers to get the right spindle inclination if you use heims. Heims or solid mounts for top arm mounts, using the right bungs for those if you use heims. Spud or tab style lower shock mounts, shock angles, pivot/stress points...etc etc im sure you get the idea. Coming from someone who owns a fab shop, I cant stress the fact of using a jig enough, if you dont they WILL NOT be the same, no matter what, if there not the same, your front end will never be set up with the right amount of camber caster and toe. Also, I sure hope you can tig well.. Take what all these guys say seriuosly, they dont want to see someone get hurt just because they think they are the next fab guy. But play with fire, get burned. And dont use aluminum or 1-1/8 tubing.

yfzracer86
02-07-2005, 06:23 AM
all ponits well made! but what you guys dont seem to be understanding is that i am working with somone that has life long expiriance with fabricating and welding. i am also very good in math so i will prolly be doing all the measurements WITH him and ill be doing some cutting and he will be doing all TIG welding the whole thing. trust me, i understand how stong things have to be, becouse i will distroy it, just like all the other szhit. I love making stuff, more thinking about making stuff becouse i dont have all the tools and such but im still learning.
i am using aluminum by the way.... reason why is becouse i got some aircraft aluminum wicked cheap and my uncle can weld aluminum with ease, and we can use more of it. im not going to run somthing that is unsafe. we plan on testing these a arms before i really use them, i dont know how yet but i will.

i dont need advice on not making somthing unsafe i need advise on making it better. so if some of you guys say take advise(Coming from someone who owns a fab shop) maybe you could give me some info that i could use? or maybe its top secret:ermm:

TC426EX
02-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Hmm, I dont think Id ever feel safe on aluminum A-arms, even if it is aircraft grade... I would advise against doing these yourself, but you seem determined to anyway, so all I can say is good luck, I hope you dont get hurt man...

yfzracer86
02-07-2005, 07:25 AM
i heard somthing about that they made aftermarket aluminum a arms. im not using tubing tho. the body of the arms are going to be square. not square tube either. its ok though, ill def get some pics as soon as i got like one of them done. you guys are right maybe the aluminum wont work but i think its def worth a try for the price of the matirials. i would LOVE to use 4130 chrome molly tubing, but its not very easy to get and the prices can be crazy.

yfzracer86
02-07-2005, 07:34 AM
whats the deal with this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31490&item=3857864760
why is it so cheap?

i cant belive what i just found http://shapirosupply.com/
they gave me a price for shipping and the tubing. the tubing is going to generally cost me $2-$3 a foot and shipping FROM mississippi is going to cost me $20:D :D

Aceman
02-08-2005, 06:11 PM
From looking around at web sites it seems like they use .120 wall chromoly steel not the .065 that Ebay auction had. All I gotta say is, you better weld damn good and take a few slow rides around on the arms before dropping the hammer. I would like to make a set one day myself since arms are so expensive.