PDA

View Full Version : is a 400ex engine rebuild that hard???

enduro400rider
02-02-2005, 05:28 PM
i have a 2000 400ex i want to do a 416 kit and i want to do the work my self (i am only 15) except for the cylinder boring i have all the tools and i have a manual and i have never done a total rebuild i have done some minor work with it though but what i am worried about is gettin the timing messed up is there good markings to line up with and how hard is that to do? thanks for the help

hondardr4life
02-02-2005, 07:49 PM
Well, I am 14 and I put the 330 kit in mine along with the help of my grandpa. I thought it was fairly easy, but the hardest part is timing it. If you do, make sure that you clean off all of the old gaskit extremely well.

Night Rider
02-03-2005, 07:29 AM
i Just Bot a Hot Rods Crank for my 400 ex but it did not com ewith bearings, is it ok o use the old 1 if they are not blown out?

400exrider707
02-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by enduro400rider
i have a 2000 400ex i want to do a 416 kit and i want to do the work my self (i am only 15) except for the cylinder boring i have all the tools and i have a manual and i have never done a total rebuild i have done some minor work with it though but what i am worried about is gettin the timing messed up is there good markings to line up with and how hard is that to do? thanks for the help

Get a manual and give it a try, I just did mine for the first time and its pretty easy. If your not sure about your timing, after you get it all put back together, turn it over by hand a few times, and youll know if its right or not.

blue416ex
02-07-2005, 06:46 PM
what ever you do dont use the old bearings buy new ones from alba or something dont use the old ones because they dont show wear and then bam! they r blown a week after so save work and a ton of money and buy new ones

boricua
02-07-2005, 10:02 PM
i agree with blue416ex, dont use the old bearings, thats not a good place to be cheap and your already there, plus, the old bearings are have matched themselves to the old crank and will not wear properly to the new crank....new crank and rod equals new bearings you'll regret it later if you didnt

kilabeez0
02-08-2005, 04:23 PM
rebuilding isn't that hard, i just did my first on an old 200x 3 wheeler. i bought it specifically to learn. came out great. i split the cases on the spare junk motor, and if you splitting cases to replace a crank, best of luck to you. lots of parts to deal with when u split cases, damn right i'd replace the bearings! if u put all that crap back together and the bearings went you'd kick yourself in the ***!!!