PDA

View Full Version : Pv

Eddiesanders250
02-02-2005, 04:29 PM
What is the difference between the powervalve and a regular bore. will it be a major difference in the powerband and will it be good for dunes.

wilkin250r
02-02-2005, 05:12 PM
The main advantage of a powervalve will be in serious racing. A powervalve will increase low-end power, and create a smoother powerband.

When you're racing, traction is really important. The powerband of a two-stroke can hit too hard, causing the rear wheels to spin rather than hook-up. This decreases acceleration out of the corners, and reduces overall lap times. By giving a smoother powerband and more low-end power, a powervalve will help reduce wheelspin.

When the tires DO hook-up, the acceleration of a two-stroke is very abrupt. This is fun for casual riding, but can quickly tire you out in an endurance race. The powervalve helps rider fatigue.

In the dunes, you're generally not worried about wheelspin, you're going to get wheelspin no matter WHAT you do. In fact, if you like to throw a big roost, a powervalve is actually worse for you. Not only that, we all know that half the fun of a two-stroke is the sudden acceleration of the powerband, and you're generally not worried about fatigue or endurance. So, all in all, a powervalve really won't give you any advantage in the dunes. I'd spend the extra money on other upgrades.

twisted threads
02-02-2005, 08:15 PM
So, all in all, a powervalve really won't give you any advantage in the dunes

I very much disagree with you there. If your down in a hole and need to come up through the trees a powervalve bike is much easier to control and has a lot more bottom end power than a non power valve cylinder. I have had big bore cylinders in non powervalve and there is no comparison the powervalve cylinders are WAY more fun to ride.:cool:

wilkin250r
02-03-2005, 09:56 AM
Ok, that was a little misleading.

Don't get me wrong, there ARE advantages to powervalve motors in any type of riding. But in my opinion, they really aren't that significant for dune riding. The main advantages of a PV is reduced wheelspin and rider fatigue, neither of which are of much concern when riding in the dunes.

The low-end certainly isn't worth the extra cost for the dunes, as traction really isn't an issue. It's sand, you're always going to have wheelspin. We all know that case-machining is expensive, so bolt-on 310cc kits are much more economical than 350cc. But for the price of a 310PV, you can buy a 350cc AND case mods, and have MORE power overall, both low-end and peak HP.

Racing MX or GNCC, that's another story. But for the dunes, I just don't see how a powervalve is worth the added cost?