PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to clean a quad?

Bartman012
02-02-2005, 03:34 PM
I ride alot in some really nasty red dirt up here, and my quad gets pretty dirty and the dirt sticks to the motor, and hoses etc. What do you guys use to clean your quads and what do you use to make it look so new? I know the foaming tire cleaner works ok and WD-40 works too. I'd love to get it clean, at least for a decent picture or two to post here.

300extreme#8
02-02-2005, 03:54 PM
wash is and use simple green,then wash it again with sponge and car wash and still spray simple green on it

ms250r
02-02-2005, 05:10 PM
We usually take the plastic off and spray the quad with simple green and let it sit for a little while and then pressure wash the bike. Then spray the entire bike with Turtle wax 2001, and let it sit for about 10-15 min. and wipe off excess with a towel.
This will make it look like it came off the showroom. and hides alot of the small scratches on fenders.

awj8074
02-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by ms250r
We usually take the plastic off and spray the quad with simple green and let it sit for a little while and then pressure wash the bike. Then spray the entire bike with Turtle wax 2001, and let it sit for about 10-15 min. and wipe off excess with a towel.
This will make it look like it came off the showroom. and hides alot of the small scratches on fenders.

you cant hide the scratches on the black plastic 05's

kfx008
02-02-2005, 07:24 PM
yeah u can:D i did any ways use plastic polisher and a buffer and it worked 4 me

stocktires
02-03-2005, 04:47 PM
1 part wisk to 3 parts water. Spray if all over the quad. Let it soak for about 3-4 minutes and spray off with a pressure washer. Dry it off with a leaf blower and then put a little mop and glow on the plastics. Looks like a showroom bike afterwards.

walt miller
02-03-2005, 08:18 PM
:confused: from everything i know you should never pressure wash your wheeler... It could hurt seals and gaskets!!! :D magires wheel shin work very good on motor and rims!!! you can get at auto parts store

walt miller
02-03-2005, 08:36 PM
i for got too tell you that quad shin work good on plastic even on black:chinese:

Leschj03
02-03-2005, 09:23 PM
all them replys work great to clean the bike then after its clean it will getting dirty again. so what i do that i heard the pros do from john natalie jr tips and tricks dvd, he said after you wash it all up and make it look pretty before a race spray Pam cook spray or silicone spay, then the mud just slides ride off when you wash it up. it works great i do it all the time.

02-04-2005, 07:05 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by walt miller
[B]:confused: from everything i know you should never pressure wash your wheeler... It could hurt seals and gaskets!!!

No one said to split the case and hose it out with a pressure washer. How are you going to hurt seals and gaskets?

chad502ex
02-04-2005, 07:09 AM
the best way to clean a quad is to not ride it all then you won't have to clean it. jk

i use a little elbow grease and pressure washer. i've use pw for years on my gaskets and seals and havn't had any issues. Just do not blast them and you'll be fine using a pw.

ckasper18
02-04-2005, 07:21 AM
Power washing your quad is not the best the high pressure power washers allow water and the dirt to get into places it does not need to go.Be carefull with the power washer it blows stickers off as well.I power wash all my quads just dont get the high pressure close to axle bearings and a arm bearing and seals.I use several cleaners and eagle one makes this cleaner you spray on the motor let it sit for a spell and spray it off.Motor comes clean almost like new.I detail a lot of used bikes here at the shop and a clean quad lasts longer and sells for more money.

stocktires
02-04-2005, 11:51 AM
I just keep the pressure washer away from my stickers and radiator. I go lightly on the axle bearings. Spraying wd40 all over the chassis makes the mud come right off too. It also makes everything look new.

walt miller
02-04-2005, 07:51 PM
I am 38 years old and for at least the last 20 years I have known that a pessure washer should not be used on anthing with bearing and seals. At 3000 psi the water goes in plases you do not want it to go. The pressure will eat at gaskets and can put small tears in seals. I have 5 wheelers 1- 2000 300ex 2- 2001 300ex piston, cam, airbox mod, k&n, jetkit, powroll headpipe, and pipe I bilt from scratch 3-2000 400ex soon to be modified 4-2003 400ex cam, airbox mod, piston, k&n, jetkit, and modified stock pipe 5-2004 450R with HRC kit. if you wont to pressure wash your wheeler go ahead. I have to much time and money in to mine.....

02-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by walt miller
I am 38 years old and for at least the last 20 years I have known that a pessure washer should not be used on anthing with bearing and seals. At 3000 psi the water goes in plases you do not want it to go. The pressure will eat at gaskets and can put small tears in seals. I have 5 wheelers 1- 2000 300ex 2- 2001 300ex piston, cam, airbox mod, k&n, jetkit, powroll headpipe, and pipe I bilt from scratch 3-2000 400ex soon to be modified 4-2003 400ex cam, airbox mod, piston, k&n, jetkit, and modified stock pipe 5-2004 450R with HRC kit. if you wont to pressure wash your wheeler go ahead. I have to much time and money in to mine.....

Walt,
Yes, you have a point. But, the only way that pressure is going to eat your seals and gaskets, is if you hold it in one spot continuously at a close distance. Just keep wd-40 on the chassis and engine.........then, blast the mud off with a pressure washer. Simple. Clean. Done.

maskale
02-07-2005, 06:37 PM
I wash mine at the car wash on the way home from the track, how much PSI does the average car wash have. I know it can be much.

walt miller
02-07-2005, 06:55 PM
I under stand what you are saying. It is not a good idea that is why it is a notice on page 152 in your owners manual

450r's r sexy
02-09-2005, 03:52 PM
simple answer: car wash

DirtDevilBT
02-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Well, if you saw the hood of my uncle's truck you'd find out what using pressure washers all the time can do. I have a pw but it's a big *** 11hp one so I couldn't see using it.

jjohnst03
02-09-2005, 11:17 PM
What I use. (http://www.blackanddecker.com/productguide/ProductDetail.aspx?PID=6670&RHID=930&P=ProductDetail.aspx&ATT=AttachmentDetail.aspx&ACC=AccessoryDetail.aspx&ACS=AccessoySet.aspx&R=ProductListByType.aspx) This little PW works fine for quads. I didnt think it would have near the power that it does when I bought it. I bought it to clean out my dogs pen, but it works great to clean off my quads. It didnt cost that much either.

370kingR
02-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Throw it away and buy a new one :p

sean94z
02-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by jjohnst03
What I use. (http://www.blackanddecker.com/productguide/ProductDetail.aspx?PID=6670&RHID=930&P=ProductDetail.aspx&ATT=AttachmentDetail.aspx&ACC=AccessoryDetail.aspx&ACS=AccessoySet.aspx&R=ProductListByType.aspx) This little PW works fine for quads. I didnt think it would have near the power that it does when I bought it. I bought it to clean out my dogs pen, but it works great to clean off my quads. It didnt cost that much either.

Thats the exact same one I use on my quads, it works great. Not enough pressure to damage anything but just enough pressure to get the dirt off. I used my friends gas powered washer once, a few years ago. That was a mistake, blew a hole through the seat of my old bike, lol.

SilverFox
02-15-2005, 09:42 AM
When its really muddy I tell my 12 yr old that if he washes it he can ride it.Then I go in and have a cold brew and when hes done I tell him that aint good enough and I finish it up.:p (lol)