PDA

View Full Version : Hotcams issues resolved?

PunkA$$
02-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Well the time has come for me to do something new to my 400ex and I'm considering the Hotcam stage1. I did a search on here and found there has been one particular problem where the flange seperates from the camshaft, however, I haven't seen any threads regarding this problem dated recently. Can I assume this problem has been fixed or should I steer clear of Hotcams?

Also I read a post stating that a hotcam installation required new valve springs, otherwise you'd risk floating a valve. Any truth to this?

Thanks in advance!

aviator4
02-02-2005, 12:01 PM
I believe HotCams has resolved the flange seperation problem.

As far as the new springs, with a Stage one cam, you don't have anything to worry about - they don't recommend new springs and I've never put new ones in with a stage one. If you're going stage two, I think they recommend new springs.

hondarider2006
02-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by aviator4
I believe HotCams has resolved the flange seperation problem.

As far as the new springs, with a Stage one cam, you don't have anything to worry about - they don't recommend new springs and I've never put new ones in with a stage one. If you're going stage two, I think they recommend new springs.

Yes I also believe that they have fixed the problem with the flange problem. As far as changing anything, hot cams are a "drop in cam" meaning that is all you need to do. with the stage 2 you can install stiffer valve springs if it makes you feel better, but you don't have to;)

Tommy 17
02-02-2005, 12:13 PM
i think one of the reasons is that not as many people are putting the hot cams in their quads anymore... after all the stories i think people steered away from them and went with other cams such as TC, GT thunder, XR400, HRC etc...

i for one will never buy a hotcam and risk it...

but to answer ur 2nd question its a drop in cam and u won't need new springs...

when i did my tc cam it was a drop in cam but i replaced the springs and rockers just to be safe... its all how reliable u want ur motor to be...

UglyMotha™
02-02-2005, 12:31 PM
don't need new springs with either one, hotcam does recomend new rocker arms not springs and the problem has been resolved with the new style cams, it is impossible for the flange to come off now cause both are casted as one now, i have had the old style with the pressed on flange for 2 years now and just ripped the motor apart last night and she's still tight so you have virtually nothing to worry bout, they just had a small bad batch go out 2 years ago, it happens :o

PunkA$$
02-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Sweet*****. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna have to order me one and git r dun.

SHARPMACHINE
02-03-2005, 05:34 AM
Not to side track this thread, but my quad is at about the same point that Punks is and was wondering if just a cam is a good upgrade? Also is a hotcam the way to go, or is their a better choice (XR400 or ?) ? I for one don't really want to jeoperdise reliability very much. Should a compression check be done before this mod and if so what is it supposed to be?

Ihope these are good questions, and as always thanks for the help....:cool:

PunkA$$
02-03-2005, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by SHARPMACHINE
Not to side track this thread, but my quad is at about the same point that Punks is and was wondering if just a cam is a good upgrade? Also is a hotcam the way to go, or is their a better choice (XR400 or ?) ? I for one don't really want to jeoperdise reliability very much. Should a compression check be done before this mod and if so what is it supposed to be?

Ihope these are good questions, and as always thanks for the help....:cool:

If you haven't done it yet, removing the airbox lid makes a noticable difference. Just remember to rejet. A good aftermarket filter would help this mod aswell (UNI).