PDA

View Full Version : New Computer

Ralph
02-01-2005, 08:24 PM
My computer is getting pretty old now and i want to get the best bang for my buck. I already have a 17" flat screen monitor, i just bought a 120 gb HD and i would love to just use that hard drive in a new chassy with all the new goods.

What are my options here? I want the Fastest there currently is at reasonable cost. Im looking at pentium 4 with HT technology and DDR memmory etc. I dont need any fancy fixings that they normaly shove down your throat.

ON THE OTHER HAND,
My mom also needs a new comp so i might just give her my old computer minus the flat screen since she can just get another from a friend real cheap. Then i would buy a new Desktop that will last me a while. Instead of buying a laptop for college that wont satisfy my needs, im going to put together a sweet desktop that will last me another 5 years like this one.

anyways, im on Dell.com(Nothing but dell:macho ) and i put together something i think should do it. Came out to 949. (200$ off) with like free shipping. It has all that crap i mentioned before pentium 4 HT at like 540ghz or whatever, DDR 1GB memory ,
No monitor since i have one.

So my question is, Would it be alot cheaper to just put together a nice custom computer with all the good stuff and use my exsiting parts(CD burner, HDD, etc)??? Couldnt i just buy that pen tium 4 HT **** put it in a unversal tower with the better memory and use all the old crap as for soundcard and graphics card blablabla. I have no money to waste and see other people buy junk that lasts them 5 months all the time.

:confused:

This computer is literaly 5 years old(came with a 10gb hdd HAHA) and all i did was upgrade the memory and hdd and keep it in real good shape otherwise with all that adware crap. The good thing is that this comp still keept up for a while with the big boys my friends are buying but its starting to fall behind:(

thomps6s
02-02-2005, 07:09 AM
If you want to use that HD, just buy a barebones system. You get a case, motherboard and processor. Then you can put memory, your 120gb HD, your old CD/DVD rom, and a nice video card and you will bne set. Of course you will have to buy a new Operating system or get a hacked copy.

ballisticpb
02-02-2005, 11:08 AM
if you are savy enough to build your own i would sugest doing that. best system you can get for the money. depends on how fast you want it on what price but shop around i am a computer tech and i get most of my parts thruNew Egg (http://www.newegg.com) great place to buy from.

Syrus
02-02-2005, 11:32 AM
Get someone who knows how to build custom PC's, or goto ur local computer store (not staples, or any of those large comp.) and ask them to set you up with a custom built computer, tell them what you want in it, and make sure u pick every option. Like Gfx card,memory, ram, motherboard, soundcard, speakers, lazor mouse, dvd rom, burner etc etc... and get the best of the best. And tell them u already have some parts for it you want installed. That should cut down the cost.

If u have any questions let me know, its very straight forward.

Ralph
02-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Im not a big gamer or anything so i think just the old graphics card will do. As for the HDD i already have an OS on it so i should just beable to plug it in and boot it up right? Where can i find one of these tower, motherboard and processor combos for a good place? Ill check that new egg place.

also for the memory im not gonna use the same memory i got in this comp since i want top flight memory since i have noticed the best results in simply upgrading the memory on this comp.

Thx alot

oh yeah, feel free to pick stuff out for me:blah:

ballisticpb
02-02-2005, 05:43 PM
inserting your old hard drive on a new computer with new mainboard will cause windows to blue screen and fail.

I will figure up a good system for a decent price for you.

ballisticpb
02-02-2005, 06:17 PM
APEX Black Super Case with 300W Power Supply, Model "PC-166-BK" –RETAIL
ABIT "IS-10" i865G Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU - Retail
Intel Celeron D 335 2.8 GHz, 533MHz FSB, 256K L2 Cache Processor – Retail
ALL Components 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-2700 – OEM
SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model MPF920, OEM
Western Digital 40GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD400BB, OEM Drive only
Microsoft Black Basic PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse, Model "CA9-00001" – OEM
US Robotics 56K V.90 Internal PCI Modem, Model USR263090 – OEM
ALTEC LANSING 121 2.1 Black Speaker System – Retail
Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 -OEM

with a price of 456.32 all from new egg

Ralph
02-02-2005, 06:23 PM
as for this, Intel Celeron D 335 2.8 GHz, 533MHz FSB, 256K L2 Cache Processor – Retail, im looking for a Pentium HT at like 3.4GHZ. Thats prob what im get, seems like its the good stuff.

EDIT: I just realized ^those are 400$. Im looking in like the 200$ range. Any other suggestions?

ballisticpb
02-02-2005, 06:35 PM
the celeron is $108
the p4 3.4 ht 800fsb 1mb l2 cache $313
and the p4 3.0 ht 800fsb 1mb l2 cache is $183
unless you are an extreem gamer you will not notice the diffrence between the 3.0 and the 3.4

system above is priced with celeron but all other compnents will work with faster processer

Butters
02-02-2005, 06:41 PM
i personally wouldn't recommend dell or intel just to through that in. i would go with amd and the reason i say no dell is cause i know from my experiance and others i know that dell has cheap parts. now if you were going to replace certain parts right off the bat then dell wouldn't be to bad, but i truly just recommend using www.newegg.com like stated or www.pricewatch.com and www.tigerdirect.com and getting a barebone pc and doing it how you want it for your needs. this will last longer and you will know exactly what you are getting and in the end you will be more satisfied with it. my 2 cents

Ralph
02-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Whats hte deal with the HT Technology. I need HIGH multi tasking ability,

That means i have Adobe Photoshop open, Macromedia Dreamweaver Mx, My mailbox and a few windows for internet sites. AIM. There is always a lot goin on and they make the HT Technology look like gold on the infomercials:p .

If it doesnt really do qanything special looks like that 3.0 ghz one you mentioned for $183 will do.

Ralph
02-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Butters
i personally wouldn't recommend dell or intel just to through that in. i would go with amd and the reason i say no dell is cause i know from my experiance and others i know that dell has cheap parts. now if you were going to replace certain parts right off the bat then dell wouldn't be to bad, but i truly just recommend using www.newegg.com like stated or www.pricewatch.com and www.tigerdirect.com and getting a barebone pc and doing it how you want it for your needs. this will last longer and you will know exactly what you are getting and in the end you will be more satisfied with it. my 2 cents

This dell has lasted a short lifetime:blah: , so im very pleased with it along with all the other dells ive seen prevail. On the other hand gateways and HP seem like junk. Thats just why i said dell. I think im going to do what that other guys said. New processor, motherboard, case etc...

ballisticpb
02-02-2005, 06:51 PM
hyper threading will help with the multi tasking but not as much as you might think. if you will be having that many programs open i suggest going with at least 512 mb ram. in laments terms hyper threading makes the computer think that it has two processers installed one to run all hardware and background programs and one to run user programs. i would swear by intel. amd is a great company but i have used both and intel tends to have less problems over all. but thats just me just like ford and chevy all in prefrence

Butters
02-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
This dell has lasted a short lifetime:blah: , so im very pleased with it along with all the other dells ive seen prevail. On the other hand gateways and HP seem like junk. Thats just why i said dell. I think im going to do what that other guys said. New processor, motherboard, case etc...

oh god yes i know about the hp thing. it is by far the worst computer i have ever owned. it is probably going to crash now because i said that. anyways when i say dell is crap i mean the new dells. you said yours was 5 years ago and that right before they started mass marketing dells and thats when dells were good computers. the dells don't match the quality in which the one you have now. thats what i meant when i said i didn't like them. as far as gateway i don't know much. still when it comes to processers i would look at the amd sempron or amd athlon 64. the are usually faster cause they are used more for games. i know you said you didn't really do games (or at least i thought i read that) but since you said you do a lot of multi tasking i would think it would be a more appropriate processor.

Ralph
02-02-2005, 06:54 PM
So what do u recomend., go with that 3.0 ghz and go with the 512 ddr ram?

ballisticpb
02-02-2005, 06:56 PM
that would be best upgrade to 512 mb ram and the diff between 3.0 and 3.4 is so small any day to day user will not notice the diffrence. go with the 3.0

Ralph
02-02-2005, 07:15 PM
ok, like i said though i feel i put alot more use on it that the normal user. Lot of webdesign/Graphic Design/Chatting/Music all at the same time.

I looked up some of the 512MB All componets rams and the all had alot of negative feedback. What do u say about that?

This one had great feedback,
Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail

Ralph
02-02-2005, 07:20 PM
ok so this is what im ended up with,

Cases (Computer Cases, ATX Form)

APEX Black Super Case with 300W Power Supply, Model "PC-166-BK" -RETAIL
Item# N82E16811154037

$34.50

Memory (System Memory)

Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail
Item# N82E16820145026

$69.00

Motherboards - Intel

ABIT "IS-10" i865G Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU - Retail
Item# N82E16813127160

$72.00

Extended Warranty Coverage
Processors

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
Item# N82E16819116171

$183.00

Extended Warranty Coverage
Extended Warranty: $0.00
Product total: $358.50
Shipping & Handling: $ 0.00
Total (Before tax): $ 358.50

Anybody have any promotional codes or anything?

Butters
02-02-2005, 07:38 PM
if you aren't going to go with AMD then i would recommend highly putting another 512 of ram in there or just getting a gig to begin with. it will make everything run smoother.

Ralph
02-02-2005, 07:43 PM
thats another 60$ ...

Im gonna talk to my computer guy and see if he has any extra parts he could spare.

now,

when i get all of this crap what goes into putting it together. Mounting the moutherboard etc... what all do i have to do that isnt just like plug or slide in.

Also, you guys said i will have to get a new OS so i guess i will have to format my HDD. What all will i do.

Once its together etc... gimmie the whole 9 yards...:macho

Butters
02-02-2005, 08:50 PM
most all of it is just plugging stuff in as long as you know what you are doing. i would put linux on it if you know how to use it.

Ralph
02-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Butters
most all of it is just plugging stuff in as long as you know what you are doing. i would put linux on it if you know how to use it.

i highly doubt it lol. from what i hear linux is for really smart people Im just a little advanced but nothing special. what the hell is the diff with that os anyways?

Ralph
02-02-2005, 08:53 PM
also how much more is the AMD, im trying to cut costs down to the minumum.

SGA
02-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
im trying to cut costs down to the minumum.
You will not get the maximum computer for the minimum cash. Spend a extra 100/200 or so and get something thats worth the money and wont be outdated in 1 year.
512 megs of ram minimum (1 gig recommended), Pentium 4 minimum, a name brand motherboard and a 300 watt case minimum . You can get a better video card later down the road when you get some more cash.
If you do not build your own computer, I recommend Dell, but each to his own.

Butters
02-02-2005, 09:19 PM
i don't know the price differnce between the 2. linux isn't really for smart people its just not exactly the same as windows. plus you can use alot of stuff from windows like word and stuff.

Ralph
02-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by SGA
You will not get the maximum computer for the minimum cash. Spend a extra 100/200 or so and get something thats worth the money and wont be outdated in 1 year.
512 megs of ram minimum (1 gig recommended), Pentium 4 minimum, a name brand motherboard and a 300 watt case minimum . You can get a better video card later down the road when you get some more cash.
If you do not build your own computer, I recommend Dell, but each to his own.

I got just about all that. But he said if i didnt get the AMD i should get another 512 megs of ram. So i was askign him how much more an equivilent AMD would be.

Ralph
02-02-2005, 09:24 PM
im just gonna stick with windows for now, im very familiar with it and maybe later on i will switch over.

When i make the switch and i put this HDD into the new one, what should i do. Save the files that i need etc. and format it. Then go ahead and put the OS on it.

Oh yeah, as for the OS. i dont even want XP, id rather stick with windows 2000 PRO. I have had really good luck with that but im noticing some things being based on XP only. It doesnt really matter because i can most likely get XP free.

Butters
02-02-2005, 10:11 PM
yeah save the files then reformat. sometimes if you write over saved files they don't load back properly, plus its nice to start with a fresh system.

MOFO
02-03-2005, 04:33 AM
You seem to do alot of photoshop work... DONT skimp on your video card... I dont mean you need to buy the latest gamer video card, but get a decent AGP card (128mb)...

...and whatever you do, DO NOT skimp on RAM. One of the most important things you can do if multitasking is important. I just went from 256MB to 1 GIG on XP...... B I G difference!

thomps6s
02-03-2005, 06:23 AM
I prefer AMD over INTEL but that is just me. It is a great processesor at a fraction of the cost of Pentium. I think they are better than Pentium. Check www.pricewatch.com if you know what you want you can usually find good prices. You should go with what you feel is best but here is an article for you to check out that might help your decision on a processor.
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,65404,src,ov,00.asp

Also if you have a copy of win2k I would just format and reload after you have copiued off what you want to save. Also, 512mb will definately get you started, 1gig would be best but you can buy a stick later if you need it. Don't be afraid of mounting the board and such. It is easier than you think.

Ralph
02-03-2005, 08:34 AM
Sounds good ill lok into it alitte more, i think 512 will do for now as for ram and my current video card hasnt given me any trouble

FourFiftyFour
02-03-2005, 08:38 AM
next computer im getting will be a Mac...i now get on this PC and keep forgetting theres not a cmd button!

ballisticpb
02-03-2005, 10:32 AM
ok the system that you setup is great 512 should be plenty of ram to start. by the time you reprice every thing the AMD will not save you that much money. if any. you asked about corsair ram, one of the best on the market. as for windows 2000 it would be possable to use the same install but you will have to repair it. as for installing all the hardware very simple. the pins on the processer are very fragle make sure that you line them up right and lock it in place before putting the heatsink/fan on. ram will only fit in one direction. hard drive plugs into IDE0 all other drives (ie: cdrom drives) plugs into IDE1 screw down mainboard and set all drives in place. and you have built a computer, dont forget that with a pentium system you have to remember to plug in the p4 power connection.

XANDADA
02-03-2005, 11:03 AM
We just got a Gateway 7200 desktop for $800 after the rebates. Can't beat the value/performace in my opinion. That price didn't include monitor or printer. The only thing that sucks about it is that it only comes with XP home edition but I got a copy of XP Pro from work for free...

Ralph
02-03-2005, 07:19 PM
aight im gonna start ordering some of these parts now. Last thing i gotta do is talk to a computer friend and see if he has any parts like memory lefr over. Thanx alot for the help and ill let you guys know how it goes.

Ralph
02-03-2005, 08:35 PM
i just ordered everyhing,

basically the plan is to use win 2k pro. And i was told the chance my curent hard drive would boot in my new system is slim to none. So im going to make an image of my current hdd and save it onto a diff HDD, then format this one and transfer it back later on. I just went with the 512 ram and i can always upgrade to a gig later on. thx alot for the help.

thomps6s
02-04-2005, 06:28 AM
Oh yeah, remember to put the riser screws on the case and then screw your motherboard to those. If you screw the board directly to the case it will ground out.

Ralph
02-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Im onto Part 2

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144414