PDA

View Full Version : Weapon of choice

Pappy
02-01-2005, 07:04 PM
With our first full year of mini quad racing down, i am finally getting around to some posting some information on products we used this season.

Starting out with the stock Honda TRX90 tires sure left alot to be desired. Tall, skinny and wore down way too fast. I geuss we cant expect a stock tire to do anything simply because its for a mini quad?

Well Maxxis has a tire that should make any mini treebasher or trail rider much happier. At 18 x 9 x 8 the tire works on most mini's as long as a 8 inch rim is used.

Pappy
02-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Once installed, and coupled with a different aftermarket front tire, the Honda 90 took on a much more aggressive look.

Pappy
02-01-2005, 07:16 PM
With Mini quads becoming very popular, this tire should be top notch for a variety of riding applications.

We raced everything from XC to a TT race and it preformed outstanding. the tire has a full season of use, and i'm happy to report not a single flat and shows moderate wear.

At roughly $52 it is not what one would consider cheap, however in the search of a true performance tire suited to mini quads it should be money well spent.

Pappy
02-01-2005, 07:21 PM
The tread pattern is very aggresive and the lugs are stout. They are very self cleaning and slide predictably.

Pappy
02-01-2005, 07:31 PM
If your local shop of choice can't get them from maxxis, ask them to get the rear tires from an Eton 90. These come stock on the Eton and are not hard to obtain. A quick call and a week later they were here.

i would be leary of using these on a stock 50cc quad, not that they wont work, but they maybe too aggressive. A modded 50 and even some 90's may find that running the 16 inch snow hog a better choice unless XC is your only game.

With a 9 inch width, we havent run into any clearence problems and find them to be a better all around tire for our needs then a standard 18 x 10 x 8 turf tamer.

Ericthered rdr
02-01-2005, 07:38 PM
I am going to get some new meat for Tommy's 50. I want to go up to an 18" for clearance for the trails. We are looking into joining Tower City this year and need some extra clearance over the stock setup. Do you think they will be too agressive for the Kasea? I will be matching the sprockets and upgrading the CVT.

Pappy
02-01-2005, 07:40 PM
For general riding and the updating you have planned, these tires should last you a long time. They will give the little 50 some much needed ground clearence and as your young rider progresses will give him the added performance needed in the traction department!

Arctic Cat Dad
02-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Pappy, You have that quad looking really sharp. Did you powder coat the frame?

Pappy
02-02-2005, 06:04 PM
yep, although his race bike for 05 is a new 90, we have last years race quad as his practice bike now.