PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna hack em off

RdingManiac420
04-30-2002, 04:03 PM
I've decided to race cut my fenders. Exactly how do you get it straight and make both sides semetrical? Heres a few pics of tape I put on them to guide my cut but if anybody has a better way to do it please help me out.

400exJOE
04-30-2002, 04:05 PM
I would move the tape out like 1 or 2 inches on each side so you have some fender there. As for cutting them, a dremel or electric rotory tool works best. Good luck!

Red Rooster
04-30-2002, 06:11 PM
I also would put the front of the tape twoards the nosepiece......... check this

RdingManiac420
04-30-2002, 06:17 PM
Is there any method used to make sure both sides are the same?

Moto92
04-30-2002, 10:56 PM
Id make them curved like Red Rooster posted.
Once you get one side cut, take that piece and transfer that curve to a paper or something. Then use that as your template for the other side.

zzbudzz
05-01-2002, 08:40 PM
go ahead and hack'em ...as soon as i get my lazy a** off my quad and in the garage i'm hacking mine ,i hope i don't regret it!

05-01-2002, 08:50 PM
Anybody know exactly what type or kind of tool to use and the best method for cuttin them?:blah

05-02-2002, 10:38 AM
YA,wat tool should I cut to cut my fenders

Red Rooster
05-02-2002, 11:05 AM
Use a dremmel tool or a rotozip or somthing of that nature. Then take some sand paper and smooth out the edges.
Note: I've never done this before just borrowing other info from other posts

Red Rooster
05-02-2002, 12:01 PM
some peeps also use a jigsaw/sabersaw with a fine toothed blade to cut them with. that might be a little easier to control.

05-02-2002, 01:28 PM
I used a jigsaw and it worked awesome. After you cut them melt the sides w/ a torch for a smooth fell.

05-02-2002, 07:55 PM
Meltin them with that torch didnt turn it black or anything did it ?
How long did u leave the torch on the plastic or did u just wave it over it back and forth? I REALLY WANT TO CUT MINE but im scared i will screw up , also which crease did u cut them on the closet in or the outer one?

yellow_ho_01
05-03-2002, 07:32 AM
go to walmart buy a $20 dremel tool, and a kit that had the mini sanding drums,.. then buy a bit, the bit you want is one that looks like a drill bit, but alot more agressive. i did mine and it can out great.. i just used some of that blue tape that auto stores carry(comes in width down to like 1/8" ) mark your lines and cut., then use the sanding drum and smooth the edges down....if you do it right it will look like you bought the fenders like that.

-=Skot=-
05-03-2002, 11:13 PM
read rizzo's post under , Body , Cutting Plastic.

RIZZO
05-04-2002, 12:04 AM
First thing to do is find the line you want by looking/measuring doing bouth side's so they are even.......etc. You want to get a water based marker so you can draw the line's on your fender's....I say (water based marker's) because if you mess up drawing your line's, they can be redrawn with out having a big mess, you can just wipe it off and redraw them and so on.You can draw your line's freehand ,or you also can use some tape, by making the line's on your fender's with the tape first, you can follow the tape with your marker then peal it away. Once you have your line's drawn and you are happy with how they look.....It's time to cut:) . I like to use a copeing saw, I find it work's the best. You can pick up a copeing saw at any local hardware store if you don't have one allready, but be careful though i find sometime's it can have a mind of it's own. When you begin to cut your fender's you may have to cut them in sections, depending on the shape of them. Try to leave the line because it will be very hard to cut them perfect anyway. you will have to sand the edge you just cut ,smooth and round them a bit too, this will make them look clean and finished..... (sand to the line)trying to make bouth side's even........finish it with a fine grit sand papper, sand untill bouth side's are perfect and your happy with how they look.

I hope this info helped you out a bit on shaving your fender's and good luck

05-07-2002, 05:35 PM
just do it and quit being a big wuss.
get you a dremel tool and tape it off and cut it
no big deal. It doesnt have to be perfect because you do race it dont you?? If so its gonna get messed up sooner or later anyways so who cares. I like them cut because when I flip it the fenders dont bend or break plus i can see my tires when i corner