PDA

View Full Version : Hot cam help

hondarider2006
02-01-2005, 12:02 AM
I am installing a hotcam for a friend, and I got everything torn down, and the new cam in. My question is, when I line up the marks on the cam, they are even with the top of the head, until I install the cam chain tensioner. Do I need to worry about this, or set it off a tooth??

shamisc
02-01-2005, 02:03 AM
As long as it lines up and you're sure it's at TDC on the compression stroke, you'll be fine. All cam lobes should be down. Just make DAMN SURE you back the tension off of the tensioner before you put it back in!!;)

hondarider2006
02-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by shamisc
As long as it lines up and you're sure it's at TDC on the compression stroke, you'll be fine. All cam lobes should be down. Just make DAMN SURE you back the tension off of the tensioner before you put it back in!!;)

Yes I am sure its at TDC and the lines did line up. But I did not take the tension off of the teionsioner. I have never done that:eek: Do I just back that phillips screw out??? And if I already have the tensioner in, and everything is tight when I put it in, should I be fine???

400exrider707
02-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Take that phillips screw off. Then get a small regular screwdriver and stick it down in there. Then turn the little screw down inside to back the tension off. It helps to have an extra hand for this part. Then stick the tensioner back on the engine. Once you have it bolted down you can yank the screwdriver out and the tensioner self adjusts. After all is put back together, then turn the engine over by hand a few times and you will see if anything is going to hit or not.

hondarider2006
02-01-2005, 10:27 AM
if I just leave the screw in, will it self adjust?? I already have the tensioner screwed in...I just didn't know I was supposed to take that screw out.