PDA

View Full Version : does suspention realy change an ex?

Lou400ex
01-31-2005, 10:37 PM
I have read some post that say suspention over motor work.
I have 03 400ex and love it. I have piped it and k&n etc. runs great.
:D :D
Now how does the susp. help so much, (might be asking a dumb ? but won't unless I ask). I am a big dude, two fitty and ride the 400ex hard. I haven't jumped it much but only off dune lips. so will new works or elka be worth my while?:confused: :ermm: :devil:

carrie416ex
02-01-2005, 12:03 AM
I have custom axis shocks and walsh a-arms and it makes a BIG difference.
just my input. :)

mrnate400ex
02-01-2005, 12:12 AM
night and day difference. i have the elka recreational series shocks on mine, and i couldn't believe the difference. best money i've spent on my quad.

Bigg Pimpin
02-01-2005, 12:43 AM
I agree suspension is the single best mod I have made to mine. It's nice to be able to hit the whoops in 5th pinned and just let it float across the top. I never realized how much of a difference it made since I never rode mine much before I tore it down but last weekend when I rode a friends w/ stock setup and it was like ridng a brick.

wilkin250r
02-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Honestly, it depends on your particular needs and riding style. If you don't push your suspension to the limits, then improved suspension isn't going to do you much good.

As a general rule when racing, suspension mods will improve your lap times MUCH more than motor mods ever will.

I realize its kinda cliche, but you need to really analyze your riding style. For example, my girlfriend rides a 400EX, and I would build her motor to the max before I would ever put suspension on it, simply because I know that she doesn't use her suspension all the way, and never will. Me, on the other hand, had almost no motor mods, and lots of suspension mods, because it fits my riding style.

Now, there is a catch. Perhaps you have adopted a certain riding style simply BECAUSE your suspension is crappy, but you don't know any better because you've never ridden any better. I've had this happen several times. I meet somebody out at the dunes with a 250r, and he's got a bunch of money set aside for motor mods in the very near future. He figures he'll get motor mods because he doesn't use his suspension all that much. Then he rides MY machine, changes his entire plan, and spends his wad of cash on suspension mods. Once he tried a machine with suspension upgrades, and saw how it performed, it changed his entire riding style.

johnnydufus
02-01-2005, 01:59 PM
wow! my friend is a complete dumbass. all he wants is motor mods. he thinks suspension is just for *****s. i finally talked him into buying wheels and tires. he was gonna get a P&P head and a stroker crank.

DaleJrFan
02-01-2005, 07:38 PM
i just upgraded to works tripple rates (which is a low end aftermarket shock) and like previously stated, it was the single greatest mod i have ever done. shocks all the way over motor mods first.