PDA

View Full Version : help my pups sick

kamikaze_rzrbak
01-31-2005, 10:34 PM
my 5 year golden retriever(pure bred) has a rash or something on his back were the tail meets the back and spine. he's been chewing it on it and now it feels warm like an infection what could it be, we are pretty sure it isnt fleas. what should i do to make it go away?:confused:

01-31-2005, 10:43 PM
Thats what the vets for, bud.

kamikaze_rzrbak
01-31-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Atkins450
Thats what the vets for, bud.
cant afford it

carrie416ex
02-01-2005, 12:00 AM
It might be a hot spot. You can pick up lotion at the pet store or a dept. store. the name of it is 'hot spot'.
If it doesn't clear up, get him to the vet. It should work though.
It's very common with the big dogs. My rottie gets it atleast once a year.

Aceman
02-01-2005, 12:02 AM
Have your tried searching google for info? Sorry I can't help.:(

02-01-2005, 12:46 AM
Could be allergies? Im sure he'll recover on his own. Keep posted!

HondaRancherES
02-01-2005, 06:04 AM
Our Basset started gettin that. It started on her paws then spread to her creases of her legs. They gave us some stuff and said to give her reg. baths. But that might not be your case

400grl
02-01-2005, 06:59 AM
If it starts near the base of the tail, it could be fleas or fleabite dermatitis..........but there are alot of different skin ailments that are either fungal, bacterial or allergic reactions. You can try really GOOD flea treatment for a while to see if that helps clear it up - if it gets bad, may need some antibiotics.........depending on what's causing it. Do some research on the internet - that may help you figure out what the causes might me, then you can try different things to see if it goes away - I finally broke down and took my dog to the vet for his itchy stuff......was bug bites!

MEL
02-01-2005, 07:21 AM
my golden gets them, in fact she has one right now. like others said it could be hot spots or fleas. keep the area cleaned out with water and a clean cloth. you can try putting some anti-inch cream on it or some anti-baterial cream. if it don't get better in a couple days you should go to the vet. just don't let the vet give it any 'roids (steriods). we've found in the past that after a dog has had a shot or taken steriods that it will continue to have skin problems. and in some cases it gets much worse. good luck.

MNTNMAN
02-01-2005, 10:20 AM
If it is a hot spot it will most likely start to ooze. If it stays dry my guess is fleas.

Check out these sites

Hot Spots (http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/hotspots.html)

Fleas (http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/fleB.html)

exrider360
02-01-2005, 03:52 PM
i have a goldne and we had a similiar problem my parenst got cortazone shots from the vett and that fixed the problem the for a long time