PDA

View Full Version : Raptor big bore kit

aviator4
01-31-2005, 09:01 PM
Don't flame me!!

I know plenty about my beloved 400ex, but a buddy of mine has a raptor 660 and is wanting to put a big bore kit in it. Does anyone have any friendly advise to pass along on this subject? What should he stay away from? What configurations have you had good luck with?

any help on the raptor would be appreciate. And no, he won't trade it for a Honda (or anything else for that matter).

dopeyferree
02-01-2005, 05:02 PM
I went with the 686 big bore, 102 mm. I am really impressed with the results. Just make sure you get a quality shop to do the work.

Toadz400
02-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Why would you want a big bore in a Raptor? Those things have ton of power! Has he gotten a cam and full exhaust system yet?

aviator4
02-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Yeah, he's running a stage one cam and a full DG exhaust. This thing used to have a nitrous systme on it, but he's found that he really can't use it in daily riding and he doesn't really drag that often, meaning it's pretty much useless. He's looking for something that will provide more power than stock with a better power band.

RAPTORAZ
02-01-2005, 07:49 PM
The real questions are how much does he want to spend, and how much HP does he want?

For instance, mine makes right at double the HP of a stock Raptor. But it cost me $3500 to do it.

aviator4
02-01-2005, 07:54 PM
I dunno, he has about $1,000 to blow, but again... he's interested ina big bore kit for his stock engine. So I would assume around $400 - $500 or so.

dopeyferree
02-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Just upgrading to a stock bore high compression piston will do alot.

Toadz400
02-01-2005, 08:05 PM
I would suggest he get a better exhaust system and maybe try a Stage 2 cam?

The Raptor I rode had a full HMF exhaust with a Stage 2 cam and it absolutely ripped, plenty of low end power and mid range. Definately the most powerful quad I've ridden yet.

aviator4
02-01-2005, 08:35 PM
So is the general concensus to stay away from big bore kits?

I think the reason he's looking at doing that is because by 400 (with a few mods of course) can actually keep up with him the way it is... to make matter worse, a 416 kit is going in my toy soon... he just want's to "piss farther" I suppose. hehe..

I can't say as I blame him though.

I am trying to turn him around on the DG pipe... what a dissapointment that's been. I have told him to look into a spark or HMF - even a big gun, but get rid of the DG.

The stage one cam that he's just put in is BRAND NEW, he probably won't be changing that any time soon.

dopeyferree, you mentioned a high compression piston, what would you recommend? Weisco?

RAPTORAZ
02-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Does he have a pipe on it now? Not to take anything away from you. But he should be able to take you easily. Back when my Rappy was piped only, it was putting down 45 RWHP. And my 416EX was/is putting down 34 RWHP. No contest. My piped Rappy pulled away from my 416EX from 3rd gear, and never looked back.

Toadz400
02-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Sounds like it's the DG pipe screwing it up for him:o :D .

Tell him to get a new system and drop in a higher comp piston, if not also a big bore. He'll get plenty of power from those two things.

RAPTORAZ
02-02-2005, 05:35 AM
Is he gonna do the labor himself?

Flynbryan19
02-02-2005, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Sounds like it's the DG pipe screwing it up for him:o :D .

Tell him to get a new system and drop in a higher comp piston, if not also a big bore. He'll get plenty of power from those two things.

Yeah, DG pipes blow..... :(

Thats the first thing to get rid of. I'd go with a Yoshimira, Sparks, or HMF pipe. After that as others have said, I'd go to a high comp piston and a stage 2 cam. I believe for the stage two cam you'll have to have heavy duty valve springs. Those are items that you'll have to have to get the most out of a 686 anyway. If you get those done, and you still want to spend the cash then go for the 686. You can have it setup to run on pump or race gas.

Just so he knows though..... Raptors are money pits..... I threw ALOT of money into mine before I got rid of it. If you enjoy working on your ride alot, then go for the mods. But if you just like to get on and ride, I wouldn't suggest doing anymore than a pipe and maybe a stage one cam.

devilwitoutacaz
02-02-2005, 06:28 AM
there is no way a 400ex would stay with a piped and jetted raptor.....get rid of the dg pipe and tell him to throw a pro-circuit t-4 full exhaust on......mine makes awesome power.

aviator4
02-02-2005, 07:19 AM
Sorry guys, I was wrong.. I talked to him last night. It's a White Bros slip-on, not a DG.. .man I am a dork. Sorry.

I agree with all of you, he should have been able to take me with no mod other than a pipe. I have no clue about the slip-on's though. My theory has always been if you're gonna do it... do it right.

So far, his yamaha has been kind of a money pit but not because of the bike itself. He ran Meth in is and didn't change the carb gaskets or flush the system after every ride, he added the nitrous then removed it, etc.. I gotta admit it's a nice looking quad, but I wasn't impressed when I could hold my own on my 400ex with nothing but a stage one cam, pipe and race gas to help me out.

RAPTORAZ, yes he will most likely do the labor, with the exception of the machining - which he will have the local shop do. He's a professional mechanic, so I'm not too worried about that. the machining would be done by a reputable shop in town.

RAPTORAZ
02-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19

Just so he knows though..... Raptors are money pits..... I threw ALOT of money into mine before I got rid of it. If you enjoy working on your ride alot, then go for the mods. But if you just like to get on and ride, I wouldn't suggest doing anymore than a pipe and maybe a stage one cam.

I definately disagree. My 727 Raptor has been through two dune seasons now with absolutely zero problems. ALL I've had to do to it for the last two years has been routine maintenance. Even the valves have not needed adjustment. Gas, oil changes, and air filter cleaning. That's it. Don't think it's been babied either. It's been used for everything from a dyno test mule to a sandrail tow truck.

Here's my $1000 recommendation:

Professional head porting
Stage 2 Hotcam with springs
Stock bore 11:1 piston

Should make an honest 55 RWHP and be rock-solid reliable.

Flynbryan19
02-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Everyone has their own opinion...... Mine was a money pit, and several others I know say the same.

And don't think I didn't maintain mine either.....

raptor65
02-03-2005, 09:44 PM
compression is not where its at men stock 11-1 or 12-1 is probley
the most compreison youl want unless you just want to pull stumps out there is NO replacment for displacment periord
you would be suprised what you can do with a head and a good
cam thats diled in right compreison will build torque not hp look
at deisal enignes very high compreison lot of torque no mid or
top speed

Plante400
02-06-2005, 09:40 PM
He wants bigger then 660?

haha sounds like a waste of money and time

plus..

its a yamaha and they suck.

haha

and i think im aloud to say that since this is mainly a honda site/
Right?

Plante400
02-06-2005, 09:42 PM
o and a whitebros isnt much of a bigger step up from dg;)

aviator4
02-07-2005, 07:20 AM
The cool thing about this board is that you're pretty much aloud to say anything you want!

No matter how lame-brained, uninformed, poorly written or one sided it is!

I for one will never trade my 400 for a Yamaha, but he loves his raptor. And I can't blame him.

dopeyferree
02-07-2005, 01:53 PM
As far as a high compression piston, weisco or JE . They are both great pistons. I personally use the Weisco 11:1 in mine.

Toadz400
02-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Plante400

plus..

haha

Right?

Yamaha doesn't suck..pretty sure all the Yamaha's put out more HP or torque than any of the Honda quads in their classes, or at least are faster.

Now only if my Banshee ran right I'd show you what I mean:eek2: ;) .

Plante400
02-07-2005, 08:36 PM
i know exactly what u mean because my friend had a banshee but yamaha will never be as reliable and well deisgned as honda

yet they did do a nice job on the yfz, bout time

raptor65
02-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Plante400

plus..

haha

Right?