PDA

View Full Version : might want to read this.....

nosliw
01-31-2005, 08:05 PM
http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23229

:eek:

Pappy
01-31-2005, 08:07 PM
sez ya have to be a member to view thru your link there skippy

nosliw
01-31-2005, 08:09 PM
oh. here's the content of the post-

Seems that car thieves have found another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #.

I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called a friend at Chrysler Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN# and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle.

You don't believe it? It IS that easy.

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you can cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.

Pappy
01-31-2005, 08:11 PM
heck im safe...ive got a twinkie wrapper gaurding my vin#:o

WEEZIL
01-31-2005, 08:12 PM
AHH!
Dude.. My teacher has a NIICE duramax 2500 i would like to "borrow"

nosliw
01-31-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by WEEZIL
AHH!
Dude.. My teacher has a NIICE duramax 2500 i would like to "borrow"

i may have opened a can of worms here :o

puting some electrical tape on my dmax first thing tomorrow....

Butters
01-31-2005, 08:20 PM
thats pretty crazy. somebody really thought about that. thats what i am doing tomorrow is putting tape over that thing. last thing i would need to do is get my car stolen.

dn1911
01-31-2005, 08:52 PM
well i finally found a good reason to own my outdated old truck! thanks guys i thought i was going to have to sell it!:D

i am going to cover my parents though.:eek:

Butters
01-31-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by dn1911
well i finally found a good reason to own my outdated old truck! thanks guys i thought i was going to have to sell it!:D

i am going to cover my parents though.:eek:

yeah on my truck i have no idea where its at. but its really noticable on my honda.

honduh440
01-31-2005, 09:18 PM
i wish someone would steal my truck so i can claim insurence on it

Honda4trax250x
01-31-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by honduh440

what kind of truck is it? maybe I can make arrangements...... :devil:

Butters
01-31-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by honduh440

me too. but i don't have full coverage so i would be screwed.

cknox88
01-31-2005, 09:43 PM
yea wont do me any good to cover my VIN b/c i have diffrent doors and a diffrent steering column so they would have 2 get the number off the cab sittin down at my dads house. LOL so im good

cknox88
01-31-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Butters
thats pretty crazy. somebody really thought about that. thats what i am doing tomorrow is putting tape over that thing. last thing i would need to do is get my car stolen.

yea bet they got the idea from a movie, i think it was gone in 60 seconds where they did that im not shure anyone else remember if they did this in that movie?

crday98
01-31-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by cknox88
yea bet they got the idea from a movie, i think it was gone in 60 seconds where they did that im not shure anyone else remember if they did this in that movie?
wasn't gone in 60 seconds:ermm:

asfaltsurfer1
01-31-2005, 10:28 PM
This is all sad but true. Some dealerships actually ask for proof of ownership like copies of insurance cards, registration or title. Anyone could make up a these documents with photoshop these days. Hell a person could just call Onstar and have em unlock it for that matter…LOL Tape sounds like a good idea!

Oh, I thought it was a Mercedes on “Gone in 60” as well…???

SGA
02-01-2005, 10:30 AM
If I tried to steal a car, it would be more like
"Gone in 60 minutes":D

crday98
02-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by asfaltsurfer1

Oh, I thought it was a Mercedes on “Gone in 60” as well…???
if you are refering to the mercedes theft in the movie, they did get the keys from a guy that worked at the car dealership but they did not go about it in the way mentioned in this thread. the keys for the cars were special keys and only available from a dealership. the guy at the dealership was crooked. he knew the kid buying the keys wasn't the owner of the cars plus knew his intentions of stealing the cars but sold him the keys to make some money on the side. if they were to go about it in the manner mentioned in this thread, it would have been easier for them to steal all of the common late model cars on the list in the movie.:ermm:

bama400ex
02-01-2005, 03:16 PM
yea ive heard of that before. i dont think im going to tape mine though. if somebody wants mine usally all they have to do is get in and drive off. i leave my key in mine 90% of the time. also i dont lock my doors anymore cause if i do and somebody wants in it i will just end up with cut up windows. its better just to not have anything in my jeep thats worth anything. but dumbass crooks would probally still cut the windows to get in even with the door unlocked. i had my console pryed open and tore up. and all they had to do was press the shiny button to open it, it wasnt locked.:rolleyes: