PDA

View Full Version : Chain Cleaning

04-30-2002, 03:01 PM
How do you clean atv chains? because mine is full of oily gritty like dirt. Thanks later:confused:

BornOnFire
04-30-2002, 03:12 PM
Warm Soap and Water if you have an o-ring type chain. If you do not have this chain, WD-40 would work good. Spray it liberally and then let it sit for a while and "loosten up". Use an old toothbrush to get the stubborn junk out of it! Rinse and repeat. Lube well with chain lube when done and ride!

Colin400EX
04-30-2002, 03:12 PM
DID's instructions on my x-ring ATV chain box say to wipe it down with karosene (or WD-40) and then use chain lube..

DeDo
04-30-2002, 03:22 PM
I have been using WD-40 to clean my chain - the one that came on my 400EX (2001). Is this bad?

Its the only thing that gets the greasy crap off.

What should I be using? The chain always seems dry...

DeDo

BornOnFire
04-30-2002, 03:35 PM
With an "O-Ring" type of chain, the WD-40 will eat away the O-Rings and eventually render the chain useless. All chains wear down eventually, but the WD will speed this process up. If you must use WD Then lookie here....

Keep high pressure water and compressed air away from the chain. Don't hack on the chain with a wire brush to lossen dirt. The proper method of cleaning is to flood the chain with WD-40 or a similar water-displacement formula. Using a rag to catch the excess, liberally spray the chain down one section at a time. Now
rub the dirt off, wipe off the excess lube and repeat this process until the entire chain is sparkling. Simple. What about lubing? Since O-ring chains come impregnated with a lifelong supply of lubricant, I suggest using WD-40 again to keep the outside of the chain from corroding. Using the long straw on the spray can, squirt lube on the edges of the chain, not the rollers. Four to six revolutions should do. Be sure to wipe off the excess - from the chain and the rest of the bike. If you feel you must lube your chain, do so with one specifically designed for O-ring chains.

JabberJaw
04-30-2002, 03:46 PM
Just buy two of those brushes for scrubbing the tub, band them together around the chain, use a coat hangar to hold it in place. Set your bike up on a block and start it up, put it in gear....

Works great!

Glamis400ex
04-30-2002, 08:02 PM
kerosene...........works every time

Glamis

DEAL
04-30-2002, 08:24 PM
Wd40 is 60% Kerosene

chris29
04-30-2002, 09:50 PM
Another good thing that works to clean all the crap off your chain is K&N's filter cleaner. Spray it on your chain just like you do your filter and let it set for about 10 minutes or so and then spray off. It breaks down all the dirt and oil and is a lot safer than Karosene or wd40.

Glamis400ex
04-30-2002, 10:12 PM
I'm not going to start a flame fest here but, when I put on my new D.I.D X-ring chain, the instructions said, right on the box, to clean with Kerosene. I don't think they would intentionally have you damage your new chain, right outta the box. I figure the boys at D.I.D know a little more about chains than I do.......so I used it.

Glamis

Sparkles
05-01-2002, 01:23 PM
jeff, andrew has some stuf i cleaned mine in, works really good, i thinkit was called "crown parts cleaner" or something like that

Deathbringer
05-01-2002, 02:23 PM
I use WD-40 on my chain ever since I can remember.
If you really think about it guys...how often does the chain wear out on the rollers before you break it or replace it anyway with a new one. I have always replaced my chains every 2-3 years anyway, if they needed it or not...sprockets get chewed up..things like that... So I guess for me the WD-40 cleaning idea works great.