PDA

View Full Version : quads of today...

Andrew400ex
01-31-2005, 07:46 PM
I'm 17 years old right now and unfortunetly stopped riding a couple months ago when i sold my Cannondale to by my Mustang. Anyway when i started riding on ym first quad,my 91 250x when i was 12 all the older high school kids had banshees and 400exs. And that was the sh*t then. Then when i was 14 i got a 400ex and i was on a beast machine just like they were when they were riding. and the raptor came out too which was the "biggest fastest" quad around. And last year i stepped out of the honda yamaha areas and bought my Cannondale Speed which was crazy but with all these quads out now like the 450s and everything i dont know if i can ever see them as the quads that i grew up with. I think its so wierd that theres younger kids starting to ride and teenagers that are going to be growing up around the 450s, and that the 400ex is just like nothin now. I dunno theres no real point to this message,its just wut i've been thinking about lately.

JR3
01-31-2005, 07:52 PM
I ride a 400ex and on the track and am passing 450s.Whats the saying. Its the indian not the arrow.

muddy400EX
01-31-2005, 07:54 PM
quads have deff. come a long way since back when the 250r was the only thing around. and i think that the 400ex was part of what made the quad world get big.it sucks to see the 400ex the slowest sport quad out there.

Butters
01-31-2005, 08:41 PM
i just found this pic of my old 4-wheeler. this is what i used to ride. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid156/pee09d0ebe5d458f188e82c2d165872ce/f5452ad0.jpg
yeah i that i was awesome. :D

416exmx
01-31-2005, 09:08 PM
What if 10 years ago someone told you that four-strokes would be dominate 10 years from then???

400exrules
01-31-2005, 09:13 PM
i think its kinda f*cked up when u see 10-12 y/o's on modded to hell yfz 450s' and trx's and stuff........

kinda pisses me off cuz i know they didnt pay a dime for it, and while they get to enjoyit and advance in the sport, here i am goin on 17 in may and i still dont have my first quad yet, cuz my parents dont go buyin me everything. I have to get it myself

muddy400EX
01-31-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
i think its kinda f*cked up when u see 10-12 y/o's on modded to hell yfz 450s' and trx's and stuff........

kinda pisses me off cuz i know they didnt pay a dime for it, and while they get to enjoyit and advance in the sport, here i am goin on 17 in may and i still dont have my first quad yet, cuz my parents dont go buyin me everything. I have to get it myself

i was lucky enough to have my parents buy me a 2001 400ex with bald tires, no rear brakes, blown head gasket and a faded red seat off of a 99 that barely fit. i pretty much had to restore the thing.looks alot better now:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/dirtbiker/Newtires.jpg

Butters
01-31-2005, 09:54 PM

yeah but what can you do about it. some kids just grow up like that and they will never apprciate it like you would. i know how it is to be in your situation.

CRE Performance
02-01-2005, 11:58 AM
I find it amazing how these 12 and 13yr olds ride these 450's without getting killed! I got outta quads when I was 13 and I remember riding my brother in laws new Honda 350X 3 wheeler and that thing was just beastly compared to the Kawasaki Mojave 110 I was racing and had been for a few years. I got my first bike when I was 7 and it was a 1977 XR 75. I cant come to understand how some kids have it fortunate enough to have an extremely nice bike/quad given to them at such early ages.

FourFiftyFour
02-01-2005, 12:03 PM

i had to buy my own quad and i didnt get to race until 2 months before i turned 18....and im racing against ppl that have been racing their whole lives or for years... and they get daddy to buy them a new quad every year..... very very very frustrating...i definitely understand bc i am not on a new quad every year and i had to buy the 250x (then i sold it) and the cannondale.....but i wonder who will stick it out in the end if they ever have to work for their own quad, bc i doubt theyll make it like i did

dirt308
02-01-2005, 01:01 PM
my first quad was a suzuki 160:D I had to help pay for it and pay my parents as i went. After I sold that I slowly moved up to a blaster then to a 400ex. Its funny that some parents just don't care at all about what they're buying their kids. When i still had my blaster my cousins were thining about buying a fourwheeler the son went online and told his parents that he wanted a z400 when it had just came out and they thought about gettin him on even though he had never riddien. I had to go to their house and straighten things out for them so they wouldn't end up buying something for their kid that he couldn't handle. o yeah by the way he was like 10 at the time and had never ridden anything but one of my go karts. If your going to ride you might as well work to get it because in the end thats what makes it fun.

03-02-2005, 03:34 PM
the 400ex is NOT nuthing!

trick450r
03-02-2005, 06:39 PM

my parents bought me my 450r...and all the quads before it....and im not going to make excuses like...i bought all the parts or anything like that....my dads view on it is....he wants me to enjoy my quading life while i can...if i can make a career out of it thats terrific but if i cant i'll have some great memories and thats why he bought it..

hondardr4life
03-02-2005, 07:46 PM
My first quad was an arctic cat 300. Then I bough tthe 300 bone stock when they were still expensive before all the 450's came out. Back then, a 400ex was to expensive, and I didn't think I needed it because I was used to the utility, and i thought i needed reverse. Welllll it turned out I bought the right quad, but at the wrong time. I paid $2500 for mine, now you can get one for 1800 and a 400ex for 2500. I really like my 300, but I have put a lot of money into it. The 330 kit made it fly, i will run all over my buddies on their piped 400's on the track and I am right there in top speed. My next quad will be a 450r, buts its gonna be 3 or 4 years till that happens. They have came a long way, but what confuses me is, they had the 250r's and then they discontinued them, and all they had was like the warrior and the 250x and the mojave. The only thing that was actually fast was the banshee. Then the 400ex didn't come out till 1999, so what did everyone do in the time period when I didn't even know what a quad was?? I actually didn't get my first quad until 2002.:ermm:

FTR250Rnif
03-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Andrew400ex
I'm 17 years old right now and unfortunetly stopped riding a couple months ago when i sold my Cannondale to by my Mustang. Anyway when i started riding on ym first quad,my 91 250x when i was 12 all the older high school kids had banshees and 400exs. And that was the sh*t then. Then when i was 14 i got a 400ex and i was on a beast machine just like they were when they were riding. and the raptor came out too which was the "biggest fastest" quad around. And last year i stepped out of the honda yamaha areas and bought my Cannondale Speed which was crazy but with all these quads out now like the 450s and everything i dont know if i can ever see them as the quads that i grew up with. I think its so wierd that theres younger kids starting to ride and teenagers that are going to be growing up around the 450s, and that the 400ex is just like nothin now. I dunno theres no real point to this message,its just wut i've been thinking about lately.
i know what your saying man. even like 3 years ago the 400ex was the best you could get,well thats wut i thot anyuways.lol. times have def changed:chinese:

dober250R
03-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I had to buy my quad all in pieces and put the dang thing all together. Granted, I only payed 1500 dollars for an 87 250R, but I put my heart and soul into that machine. And it is one of the nicest quads out there. I would not sell this quad for anything, not even one of those new high tech fangled four strokes of today. That quad has taught me a lot about life, it's been there with me in the good times, and the bad. Whenever my life is down in the dumps, she's right there, ready to be ridden hard and put away wet, and doesn't give me any grief. I think kids of today are too spoiled, I had to wait till I was 18 to get my first quad, and I bought it myself. Kids now-adays are handed everything, and it teaches them nothing. That's all they know how to do is hand out their hand and expect everything they want. Just a few thoughts.......................... "you've been a wonderful audience, I'll be here all week. Be sure you tip your waitress" Gotta love Ace Ventura!!

wheeltrax
03-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Yea, i agree about how it sucks to see the 400ex not regarded as "much" these days. I love my 400.

440exnacsracer
03-02-2005, 08:29 PM
im 17, almost 18 now, and my parents bought my 03 predator for me. granted, i worked after school and during summer for a year for my dads lawncare business to help pay. my parents do make me pay for anything and everything that goes wrong with them though. when my pred was new, if it wasnt under warranty, or i didnt have the money, it didnt get fixed. i have learned to do things on my own, and in 4 years, i have gone from not being able to adjust my chain bymyself to rebuilding my predator, and completely restoring an 86 250r from peices in milk crates and that i traded a subwoofer for. i am going this fall to college for mechanical engineering, as i have found one of the things i enjoy most in life. as long as i have something to ride, fix, make faster, or work on, i will be happy in life. hopefully one day i will be designing cars for indy teams, or maybe even quads

nosliw
03-02-2005, 08:33 PM
what irritates me is these 13 year olds who just got the 450r or yfz and are flipping through dirtwheels or something making their parents buy more and more of the aftermarket. i personally know very few (and i know a lot of people) who can honestly say that they can push a yfz to it's absolute limit stock.

440exnacsracer
03-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
i personally know very few (and i know a lot of people) who can honestly say that they can push a yfz to it's absolute limit stock.

and id be willing to bet they arent 13:ermm:

nosliw
03-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by 440exnacsracer
and id be willing to bet they arent 13:ermm:

nope a few my age, and mostly 20-25year olds. ;)