PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding what suspension components to buy...

TORO1968
01-31-2005, 06:16 PM
Figured I'd post this up here too...

After doing lots of research, I am still undecided on what to do with the suspension on my 400...

I'm pretty much set on Elkas (w/rezzies) all the way around, along with the Elka rear linkage, but from there on out, I don't know what exactly I should get...

Well, I guess I should describe my riding style/typical terrain first. I don't race at the moment, however I'm a pretty agressive rider. The terrain I typically ride is gravel pits (i.e., the Badlands), some trails, and the dunes... Because the Badlands and the dunes are always all rutted up, I was leaning more towards Elka's Dune Edition shocks to smooth out the ride... I don't go flying off of doubles or try and hit whoops at 40mph, but I do like launching off the top of a dune every once in a while...

I'm looking for a setup where I can go flying across a rough bowl and not feel like I'm going to get bucked off. The smoother the ride, the better...

A couple of questions... Do I need fully adjustable front shocks or would compression adjustability be enough? I guess I'd rather spend the money now rather than having to upgrade the shocks later.

Next, should I widen my quad? If I go with SSD and the rear linkage, is it worth it to go wider? I don't want to be hitting trees or anything, but if +1 or +2 would make a significant difference, I would consider it. It would be nice to be able to cut the handlebars and spin out instead of going up on two wheels.

Do you guys think a long shock/long travel setup worth the money in my case? I'm always a sucker for having the best stuff anyways...LOL

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

-Jordan

Rootar
02-01-2005, 07:12 AM
i believe houser has +1 longtravel arms for the 400 (not for sure tho) i think longtravel would help you and yes you want ssd it lowers the quad bout 1 3/4" to 2 1/2" and still gives you more travel than stock and with the ssd instead of the whole corner of the quad dipping in those ruts each wheel will and itll be alot smoother and the quad will stay level i know when i get he money im going elka with ssd and im sure evryone on here will recomend the ssd

as for everything else i dunno

TORO1968
02-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the info...

Anyone else have an opinion?