PDA

View Full Version : gas coming coming from carb overflow...

beach
01-31-2005, 04:49 PM
I have an honda 84 trx 200...
The last time I rode it ...I was on a trail and it suddenly bogged out and I noticed gas flowing from the carb overflow..too make a long story short i wont start back up...I tried too start it earlier today and every time I pull the pullstart it starts for like a 1/2 second and and gas starts flowing from the over flow..since this my first atv I have no idea what the problem might be ..does anyone have any suggestions for me?...

roostin_dale
01-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Is your float stuck? Take the bottom of the bowl off and see if the float is stuck or moving freely...That could be the problem

beach
01-31-2005, 05:05 PM
its possible my float may be stuck..I havent taken the carb off.. If i take it off what do I look for?..

roostin_dale
01-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Just take the bottom of the float bowl off. The just wiggle the float up and down so if it was stuck, it comes loose. Then throw it back on and see if she starts, just thought it would be worth a try.

beach
02-01-2005, 08:52 AM
definatly worth a try...will let you know if it works...

beach
02-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Took the carb off today...the floats were mooving freely and didnt appear too be stuck...I sprayd it down real good and put it back in..same thing...still wont start...unless I pump the throttle a few times before i pull start...when it does its only for a second then it dies...what else could be the problem? Hopefull my probem definatly lyes in the carberator..I just ordered a rebuild kit..

motoboy66
02-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Your floats mt have gotten a hole in them. They will fill with gas, and not shut off the fuel. This happened to a buddy of mine, hard to find the trouble since they looked ok. after trying other things like cleaning, and replacing the neddle and seat, this was the last resort. fixed the trouble, ran fine since.

motoboy66
02-02-2005, 06:14 PM
i am guessing that being that old, they are copper floats. these get holes over time.

beach
02-02-2005, 07:49 PM
I really didnt check if the floats were full of gas..will do that tomorrow...did your buddys quad leak gas out of the overflow tube under the carb also?...Did he just bog down like mine did and gas start pouring out?...I hope it is carb troube and nothing more serious....

bulkdriverlp
02-02-2005, 08:02 PM
your floats are cracked or theres a little spec of dirt sitting in the seat and the needle isnt shutting off the flow of gas. my trx350 did that, a little micron of rubber from the fuel line got in there. it doesnt take much at all....

Aceman
02-02-2005, 08:03 PM
It is definitely your carb. Only 2 things will make it overflow like that. 1. Your float is not set properly or has a hole in it making it sink. 2. Your needle and seat aren't sealing properly, could be caused by a worn out needle/seat or a piece of junk is keeping it from closing properly. Take the carb apart, blow everything out with compressed air and carb cleaner, put the rebuild kit in, which should include a needle/seat and set the float height. Should run great now.

zfire_28
02-03-2005, 07:03 AM
my brother's 400ex was doing the exact same thing. It turned out that the air screw somehow vibrated almost all the way out. I just turned it back all the way in and backed it out a couple of turns and it was fine.

motoboy66
02-03-2005, 09:41 AM
get the rebuilt kit off ebay, from the dealler it will be almost 100 dollars. ebay has them for around 30

beach
02-03-2005, 11:32 AM
hey zfire_28,
which screw is the air screw?

beach
02-03-2005, 01:21 PM
I checked the floats toady....they didnt appear too be damaged...I held them up too the light and there was no gas in them....I then checked the needle falve too see if there was some sort of obstruction in it...that checked out ok....what else should I look at? It still starts up for like a second and croaks out real quick...:confused: :confused:

zfire_28
02-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by beach
hey zfire_28,
which screw is the air screw?

on a 400ex it is on the bottom of the carb, not sure about your bike though.

beach
02-04-2005, 01:08 PM
hey ACEMAN,
how can you tell if your needle is worn?...to be more specfic will it be plainly visable if the needle is worn?...the seat on the trx 200 carb is not replaceable by the way....

Aceman
02-04-2005, 06:53 PM
The way I check the needle and seat is take the carb off your quad and remove the float bowl so the floats are just hanging there. Make sure your float height is correct before doing this though. Now hold the float up with light pressure and blow in the fuel inlet on the carb, you shouldn't hear any air leaking out. I would think it would be visible if your needle is worn but I just blow through the carb to make sure its sealing properly.