PDA

View Full Version : Tool Kit Cap

BIGRED400
04-30-2002, 12:50 PM
I heard of alot guys losing their caps so I am trying out this .I took out the foam gasket and put in a thin layer of rtv on it and then put in gasket then let set up hard .....cap fits tight

Woodsrider
04-30-2002, 01:06 PM
I did the same thing:D

04-30-2002, 01:46 PM
That should work good but if you have lost the gasket............

I had the cap come off for the last time. the first few times I was lucky and found the cap and even the tol kit once when it had popped out also, but the last time the tools came out one at a time and were spread out on the trail for over a mile like the bread crumb story. The gasket had come off the cap and was lost but oddly I was able to find everything else but the air pressure gauge.

What I did and it has been working for a couple months now.
Wrap up a small rag and stuff it in the end of the kit before putting on the cap. Just make sure its big enough to put a lot of pressure on the cap from the inside. Works OK and you have a handy clean rag for what ever you like.

nakomis0
04-30-2002, 02:34 PM
I wrapped electrical tape on the part where is screws on. Works great. I'm an electrician so, it was kinda my first idea.

SUPERFLY 400
04-30-2002, 07:46 PM
Hey Nakomis thats funny because I use electrical tape also. Its black and hard to notice unless you look hard. I lost my cap including my tool kit while riding :grr . Never did find them, so went and bought new cap and kit. No problems since the electrical tape:D

twisted threads
05-01-2002, 01:16 PM
no boys!! your doing it all wrong! Take a bicycle inertube and cut a piece out of it about 1 1/2 - 2 inches long and put it around your tool box and it will keep your lid on there for you.:)
Thats what I have and the lid has never came off again. The electrical tape thing works but is a pain if you keep needing something for your quad or your buddys quad.

Sparkles
05-01-2002, 01:44 PM
i lost mine too... but i took the cap off and lost it so i just took the whole thing off

froggieboi
05-02-2002, 03:29 AM
I put the electrical tape on the inside piece of mine and have yet to lose the cap again.

wscotthougland
05-02-2002, 04:22 AM
someone is selling Billet Tool Box Cover's on e-bay. They look nice but are kinda expensive if you ask me for something that just looks nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1825712246&r=0&t=0

quadperson
05-02-2002, 06:22 PM
I haven't done this yet, but it's an idea...drill a small hole in the middle of the cap, then drill another hole in the back of the tool case. Take a small peice of bungee cord, or other elastic stuff and tie a knot at both ends. Put one knot on the outside of the cap, the other on the outside of the back of the case. Make sense? Then if it comes loose, the cord will wold it in place, and you can still pull it to the side enough to get your stuff out. The only drawback I have thought of is the possibility of moisture getting in through the holes. I guess you could seal them with something...

redzoomer
05-04-2002, 10:33 AM
That's a pretty good Idea....it's not like they are water tight any way.. I've ruined several packs of tire plugs by them getting wet in there..

CranMan
05-05-2002, 08:07 AM
Here's what I did...I drilled a 1/8 hole through the edge of the cap and the tool box with the cap installed. Then I took a cotter pin, opened it up a little, and then squeezed it shut and put it in the hole I just drilled. This way you cant unscrew the cap unless you pull the cotter pin out first. Works like a charm, and it's foolproof...