View Full Version : yfz450 vs. 450r

sloppyjoe
01-30-2005, 02:52 PM
i am looking to get a new quad and cannot decide between the yfz and the r. i would like some input from ppls on here. i have not had the chance to ride either of these machines so i am totally undecided. one other quad that isnt totally out of the picture is the polaris predator. i would like to hear any pros and cons on these three if you could help.
THANKS
SLOPPY :confused:

nosliw
01-30-2005, 02:54 PM
i would take the yfz ahead of the r, and the r ahead of the pred. \

YFZ450Ridr
01-30-2005, 03:41 PM
there are un-numbered threads on this..

but it does depend on what type of riding you will be doing, personally id take the 450r.

muddy400EX
01-30-2005, 04:24 PM
never rode either one but here is what ive heard from other threads. yfz is better for mx and has a powerband that acts like a 2 stroke and its a lil' faster than the R. the R has more of a torque powerband which makes it better for xc. i would go for the yfz cuz i would want the fastest thing out there:D

Bush0102
01-30-2005, 04:28 PM
go for whatever you're most comfortable on. The YFZ seems to be better for smaller guys and people who like the snappier powerband. The R is good for bigger people, but it is also good for trail riders because its seat is a bit more comfortable. The powerband is more even and smooth, but it seems hard to keep the front end on the ground.

Punk'd
01-30-2005, 06:25 PM
What kind of riding do you do? I own a 450r and I love it. I have 0 problems and kicking is a breeze when you get it down after the first day. Plus you dont have to worry about the battery dieing. The pred is really heavy. I dont know much about them and iv heard the YFZ has had electric problems with wires frying and batterys dieing alot. So I would go with the 450r. You wont be sorry Just my 2cents

sloppyjoe
01-30-2005, 07:38 PM
well, i like to do a lot of hill climbing. and some drag racing, just with friends and that sort of stuff. i was kinda wondering if there was any kind of problem with either one of these bikes that i might need to know about. i wish i knew someone that has one so i could ride them to see wich one i preferred.
i had a raptor and it gave me one headache after another, so yamaha is not on the top of my like list right now! i got rid of it and got me a 05 ex. the only thing i dont like about that is that it is really cold natured! if the R is like it then i dont think i would like kicking on it that much. i'd just like some of the ppls likes and dislikes on these machines!!
THANKS
SLOPPY

01-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Just get a mod to delete this thread.

01-30-2005, 08:08 PM
i'd get the 450r...electric start kinda sucks http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid121/p94b6c540f5bda58d42a8bc37560c87e1/f84d6cf0.jpg the 450r is not cold natured like the 400ex

sloppyjoe
01-30-2005, 08:16 PM
ATKINS U HAVE A PROBLEM??:macho

440exnacsracer
01-30-2005, 08:31 PM
i would reccomend the honda. i own a 03 predator and it simple will not stay running. it seems like every time you think i have it fixed, something else goes wrong. but i do absolutely love my predator when it runs good. ive had frames break, wiring harness's fail, valves drop, you name it, ive broke it. i really dont like the yamaha's because of their size. nearly any manufacturer can make a quad 350 lbs if they scale it down. the honda is very close to the same specs but has better ergonomics and provides a much smoother ride. well ill stop rambling:D

sloppyjoe
01-30-2005, 09:30 PM
thanks. your predator sounds like the raptor i had. was great WHEN it ran. i'm just really undecided on what to get. i wish i could get to ride each one before i go and put down the jack to get one.

nosliw
01-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by sloppyjoe
i wish i could get to ride each one before i go and put down the jack to get one.

any good dealer should let you take it for a lap or two around the parking lot. mine did. just had to leave a little collateral :D

frogburner
01-31-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Atkins450
Just get a mod to delete this thread.

Boy Atkins, You really sound like a Dandy. If you didnt care about this thread, why did you even enter it??? Stupid people nowdays...:confused:

STEVEDU2
01-31-2005, 06:53 PM
heres my 2 cents. i had a yfz and i absolutly hated it i finished last season on it trying to get to like it but i hated it.it is built for smaller people.it felt like i was riding a blaster with a 450 motor on it.handling in mind also sucked.i sold it and bought a trx450r and i love it.0 complaints on it so far.it just depends on how,and where you ride.but if i had it all to do over again i wouldnt have wasted my $ on the yfz.not trying to start nothin just trowin in my 2 cents.:D

01-31-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by frogburner
Boy Atkins, You really sound like a Dandy. If you didnt care about this thread, why did you even enter it??? Stupid people nowdays...:confused:
Stupid people post in YFZ vs. 450r threads. Im just trying to end the stupidity.

Now, why did you call me an idiot?

SRH
01-31-2005, 08:09 PM
get yfz, better suspension, better power, better corneringing, electric start, dont listen to a trail riders opinion why the 450r is better, guetter riders a yfz and how tall is he 6 4? im almost 6 ft and its really roomy for me

MY450R
02-01-2005, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by SRH
get 450R better suspension, better power, better corneringing, kick start, dont listen to a mx riders opinion why the yfz is better, farr rider a 450r and how tall is he 6 '0 im almost 6 ft and its really roomy for me

thanks srh i knew you'd agree

02-01-2005, 07:38 AM
Stupid people post in YFZ vs. 450r threads. Im just trying to end the stupidity.

Probably because you are one ......? :rolleyes:

If ya don't got anything nice to say in a post then don't say anything at all, it's members like you that give the rest of us a bad image when we say something back.

Say something nice or SHUT IT! :macho

MY450R
02-01-2005, 08:45 AM
450r is the chit and the yfz is chit

fastblaster2002
02-01-2005, 01:44 PM
i havent gotten the chance to ride either of them...it all depends on who you talk to...you really have to decide on your own

one person will say yfz...then next will say 450r...id get the yfz...but thats just me

Florida400EX
02-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Depends on what you like to ride. If you're riding hard for every second you're on the quad, and only care about what can help you get to the finish line the fastest, I'd say YFZ. Honda may be a little more comfortable, but is also a little higher, tippier, slower... makes a great trailer bike. I'm 5'10" and I feel right at home on the yfz, I like the smaller feel of it. It's a flip a coin choice, I'd be happy with either quad.

frogburner
02-01-2005, 04:38 PM

Cause I think you are.. Thats my point exactly... You already answered it..