PDA

View Full Version : Thumb Throttle Extension

hapychap
01-30-2005, 04:15 AM
:ermm: Has anyone put a thumb throttle extension on the stock lever? and if so, have you worked it hard or even raced it and how did it hold up?

Has anyone replaced the complete stock thumb throttle unit for a a new unit with longer lever?

A friend rode his first race this weekend (4 x 14 mile circuit) and it is was all very rough terrain, he says there was only one stretch where he got as high as 3rd gear and that was for a very short stretch. What he says though that because the going was slow and the terrain so rough his thumb was really working and in no time it was extremely painfull and all of the other quad riders had the same complaint.

Now we have both been riding for several years now so this is not the normal begginers sore thumb EVERYONE experiances when using a thumb throttle for the first time or first few rides.

So who can recomend a product or a solution? Twist throttle is definately not an option in this terrain. (Desert, sand and camel grass - like hidden landmines just waiting to throw you arse about face))

I have seen the the bolt on extensions from the likes of I.P.I etc but I am not sure how it will hold up in our climate. To many plastic and rubber parts which will perish very quickly here (Desert)

Yamaha aftermarket vendors offer some neat stuff but I have yet to see anything for Honda. Can anyone point me straight?

Txs

Lurkin
01-30-2005, 09:43 AM
i trun a trx90 thumb lever on mine, new sell for around 20 bucks and it replaces the stock lever.its about an inch longer i would guess.

BHWcrf500r
01-30-2005, 11:39 AM
I would'nt discount the twist so quickly; I had a sore thumb also and decided to try a 1/4 turn twist. I'm glad I did; bumping a tree, hitting a hole, hard landing from a jump, I actually have better handle-bar control with your thumb wrapped around the grip instead of having an open grip with my thumb reaching down to the throttle. A quad is a lot more stable than a bike due to ballance issues, and they have twist. With a thumb if you pull in the front brake with the throttle on you do'nt have many fingers left on the grip. I regularly hit obstacles that knock my feet off the pegs, jump as far as 80 to 90 feet with no 1/4 twist issues. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I still like my twist. Thanks

hapychap
01-30-2005, 10:13 PM
[COLOR=skyblue][COLOR=skyblue][COLOR=skyblue]

I hear what you say, but our terrain is ALL desert sand and dunes and when the wind blows or even with vehicle tracks there is an unbelieveable amount of ruts and "ripples" what we refere to as a "washboard" or "corrogated" surface.

I have tried a bike which had a twist throttle and honestly if you could maintain control in these conditions I take my hat off to you because you are awesome.

I know of a handfull of people that switched from thumb throttle to twist almost immediately on purchasing their quads only to switch back just as quickly. I think I know of only one person who has kept the twist and at least 10 who have switched only to switch back.

Maybe terrain has allot to do with it, but in the sand and dunes the front break is something you use as a last resort or very carefully or you are going over the bars. When the wheels lock they dig into the sand and you are in "freefall" flight. A very funny sight to behold and most people learn that lesson the hard way.:D ;)

nick.black
02-15-2009, 01:37 AM
I have the same issue. I bought a Moose Racing Dual Gasser throttle. i.e. Twist and Thumb combined with the option of locking the twist when u need to. I used that for 2 rides and removed it. Went back to stock thumb. Rode 60km's yesterday and was in extreme pain trying to hold that thumb throttle open.
You can have my Moose Dual Throttle if U want. It is laying in the garage. (I am in the UAE too)
In the meantime I am arranging a extra long thumb throttle lever from Honda. They use these in the Desert Challenge. You use your palm to push rathe than your thumb. Will see how that goes.

Private message me if u want to have that Moose throttle.

d3ktrix
02-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by nick.black
I have the same issue. I bought a Moose Racing Dual Gasser throttle. i.e. Twist and Thumb combined with the option of locking the twist when u need to. I used that for 2 rides and removed it. Went back to stock thumb. Rode 60km's yesterday and was in extreme pain trying to hold that thumb throttle open.
You can have my Moose Dual Throttle if U want. It is laying in the garage. (I am in the UAE too)
In the meantime I am arranging a extra long thumb throttle lever from Honda. They use these in the Desert Challenge. You use your palm to push rathe than your thumb. Will see how that goes.

Private message me if u want to have that Moose throttle.

This thread is from January 05 :P

nick.black
02-15-2009, 01:51 AM
Yeah - realised that after I posted.

ooopps.

d3ktrix
02-15-2009, 01:54 AM
Yeah I hate when that happens.