PDA

View Full Version : is kicking worth it

oatesy
01-29-2005, 11:47 PM
Hello I'm thinking of upgrading my 400EX and was thinking of getting a 450r but the only thing thats stalling my decision is how reliable is the kickstart because most of my riding is done in the woods, So all I'm wanting to know is will it start first time or will I be jumping up and down a lot, And also how efecttive does the hot start work. your help would be much apprecaited.

SaYwAt!?
01-29-2005, 11:53 PM
dont worry bout the kick start. You'll get good at it. I was considering a yfz lol just cause of kick start. Its not as hard as u would imagine kicking a big 4 stroke. Sooo my anwser is u want power, suspension, and something to get ur blood pumpin its the 450R lol

ny300exrider
01-30-2005, 07:38 AM
im 128 pounds and kick my 450 over fine. when i first picked it up the guy told me to start it up "since my legs are younger and stronger than his" so i went to kick it and i couldnt even push the kick start down. i had to laugh alittle but once i got the concept its easy as pie

ridinredodb
01-30-2005, 09:33 AM
i think you have it backwards, if you want reliable starting you want the kick start. the YFZ's are known for not starting in the cold and batteries dieing and wires burning up. the 450R starts very easy and it always starts. my 450R starts easier than my brothers 250x.

wanta450
01-30-2005, 02:43 PM
yes i think the kick start would be better because what if your battery dies and its just another electrical thing to cause a problem;)

sportraxkid
01-30-2005, 04:14 PM
450r's are easy to kick my 350x is alot harder.

deathman53
01-30-2005, 04:27 PM
my friend has a 450r, its easier to kick than my 250r and also than my crf450r quad(the bike I bought from him before he bought his 450r). Its a forward kick, 2-3 kicks cold and its started.

FAST 450R#1
01-30-2005, 04:27 PM
I bought a 450r this summer an it was hard to kick over the 1st couple of times now it starts on the 1st or 2nd kick an starts just as easy in the winter to

Punk'd
01-30-2005, 05:52 PM
I love my 450r when I first took it out of the truck I tryed kicking it. Had just a lil trouble since iv never owned a kicker before but after the first day I had it down. (Very Easy) just wait till you feel the power my friend:D If I could go back and i had the choice of a 450r or a yfz it would deff be the 450r.

stugots
01-30-2005, 08:09 PM
I have a 250x convertion with a 350x motor
I was kicking it with hiking boots on and my foot slipped and WHAMMM!!!
OUCH. I had a knott the size of a lemon that night and from the knot down my foot turned purple. That was a month ago and it still hurts. so I am going with the GOKI starter.

Toadz400
01-30-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by ridinredodb
i think you have it backwards, if you want reliable starting you want the kick start. the YFZ's are known for not starting in the cold and batteries dieing and wires burning up. the 450R starts very easy and it always starts. my 450R starts easier than my brothers 250x.

Actually I think there was only one case of the eletrical system actually burning up on a YFZ. Everything with a battery is hard to start when it's cold out and batteries do lose life when it's very cold out, so just get used to it...either put your battery on a charger over night (a low voltage one) or take it off and store it inside where it's warm.

My 400ex is hard to start in the winter and I've had problems with the eletrical system...does that make the 400EX bad? Just saying...:o

oatesy
01-31-2005, 01:25 AM
Thanks guys I am convinced enough I will go and see the dealer about purchasing one very soon.

JR3
01-31-2005, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by ridinredodb

yep. If its been cold for like 5 days straight around 15 degrees. Hell go to start it then it wont so he has to charge the battery then itll finnaly turn over.

ny300exrider
01-31-2005, 04:16 PM
i got a 42 pilot on my dads 400 and it starts right up in single degree weather just give it a few pumps, choke it and itll start right up

01-31-2005, 05:04 PM
i like my kickstart http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid121/p94b6c540f5bda58d42a8bc37560c87e1/f84d6cf0.jpg

Bill Fuller
01-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Whatever:rolleyes: I love the YFZ and I got it for one reason over the Honda...........the button.I have not hade any electrical problems and I race mine in any conditions.Last Sunday I raced and at the flag drop it was 20 degrees.I traveled with my quad on a small tilt trailer for 2 1/2 hrs to get to the race and it started right up.You guys kill me I know you love the Honda but atleast advise him to try out both quads if possible.And for anyone who thinks the Yamaha isn't a good XC quad just ask Ballance.I have owned and raced Honda's and a Cannondale and now the YFZ and I say it is the best quad I have ever ridden.I have seen to many 450R's stuck in the mud or on the side of a step hill with thier riders kick kick kicking.I am not saying the Honda is not a good quad(it is a Honda:muscle:)I am just saying that it's not the right quad for everyone.You can not loose with either quad,they are both the top of the food chain right now in sport atvs.Get over the name thing and ride what makes you feel like a winner.

sampleez
01-31-2005, 05:42 PM
thatta way to give'm a good bi$%h smackin Bill. i really get sick of all the r riders pulling up that same pic, and it's the same way with my buddies that have r's. i swear honda needs to put a warning on them saying "may turn owner into a douche bag" :devil:

Toadz400
01-31-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Whatever:rolleyes: I love the YFZ and I got it for one reason over the Honda...........the button.I have not hade any electrical problems and I race mine in any conditions.Last Sunday I raced and at the flag drop it was 20 degrees.I traveled with my quad on a small tilt trailer for 2 1/2 hrs to get to the race and it started right up.You guys kill me I know you love the Honda but atleast advise him to try out both quads if possible.And for anyone who thinks the Yamaha isn't a good XC quad just ask Ballance.I have owned and raced Honda's and a Cannondale and now the YFZ and I say it is the best quad I have ever ridden.I have seen to many 450R's stuck in the mud or on the side of a step hill with thier riders kick kick kicking.I am not saying the Honda is not a good quad(it is a Honda:muscle:)I am just saying that it's not the right quad for everyone.You can not loose with either quad,they are both the top of the food chain right now in sport atvs.Get over the name thing and ride what makes you feel like a winner.

Amen! Couldn't have said it any better.

Doak450r
02-01-2005, 12:10 AM
yeah you should go and try both the quads. kicking the 450 was hard at first but after a while you can start it sitting down well atleast i can. A lot of people on here talk alot of bad things about the yfz i think its a great quad i rode a friend of mine and i didnt find anything wrong with it. only reason i chose the 450r over the yfz is because i thought the r was a lot more comfortable.

oatesy
02-01-2005, 01:49 AM
has anyone herd any rumours of the 450r going electric start in the near future maybe 2006,