PDA

View Full Version : 450r subframe

Punk'd
01-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Stupid post, but why did Honda make there subframe aluminum? If you wheelie and go back wont it bend easy like the stock bumper? Always worrys me.

hondaracer305
01-29-2005, 10:34 PM
Now im not completely positive about this, but the subframe may be a moly (2 metals in one) making it stronger than plain ol aluminum, and YES those rear stock grabbars are VERRY weak...

Punk'd
01-29-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by hondaracer305
Now im not completely positive about this, but the subframe may be a moly (2 metals in one) making it stronger than plain ol aluminum, and YES those rear stock grabbars are VERRY weak...

Yeah I know they are my front bumper bent like butter I was just wondering if the subframe was the same. I hope your right about it though. thanks for the reply.

lukester720
01-29-2005, 11:26 PM
They made it that way to lighten the total weight of the bike and to save money. Also the reason that the grab bar is so weak is so that it bends of breaks before the subframe when riding wheelies or getting rearended and the front bumper was designed along the some idea to avoid bending the frame and save weight. A weak stock bumper will also lessen the likelyhood of injury in a crash do to the fact that some of the energy from the impact of the crash will be diminished by the crumpling of the front bumper, if it were super solid you would most likely injure your wrists and/or fly over the bars. There are probably more reasons that I am missing also but I hope this helps.

Punk'd
01-30-2005, 12:11 PM
I agree with you but I do think the subframe should be stronger then the front bumper and grab bar. Are you positive its not? I dont want that bending like butter to thats why I always get worryed when I wheelie.

Thanks,
Randy

lukester720
01-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Yes the subframe is stronger than the grab bar, it is actually very strong. I would imagine that the likelyhood of the subframe bending from doing a wheelie is almost non-existant. I think that most broken subframes come from really hard XC or MX racing, I weigh 270 and have never damaged mine and I ride hard.

Punk'd
01-30-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by lukester720
Yes the subframe is stronger than the grab bar, it is actually very strong. I would imagine that the likelyhood of the subframe bending from doing a wheelie is almost non-existant. I think that most broken subframes come from really hard XC or MX racing, I weigh 270 and have never damaged mine and I ride hard.

Ok thanks alot that makes me feel so much better. I didnt think Honda would be that stupid. Thanks for the info bro:)

Stock 400 rider
01-30-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by lukester720
They made it that way to lighten the total weight of the bike and to save money. Also the reason that the grab bar is so weak is so that it bends of breaks before the subframe when riding wheelies or getting rearended and the front bumper was designed along the some idea to avoid bending the frame and save weight. A weak stock bumper will also lessen the likelyhood of injury in a crash do to the fact that some of the energy from the impact of the crash will be diminished by the crumpling of the front bumper, if it were super solid you would most likely injure your wrists and/or fly over the bars. There are probably more reasons that I am missing also but I hope this helps.

That`s correct!