PDA

View Full Version : Jetting!!!

maxthrottle
04-29-2002, 08:43 PM
I just spent the evening re-jetting with the K&N (DynoJet) kit.
The directions are worthless!
To remove the top cover of the carb, be prepared to remove the front plastic and the tank. Then remove those two pesky screws from deep inside the throat and remove the slide.
The main jet is accesable after the 17mm bowl cover on the bottom of the carb is removed (Thought you got all the gas out...wrong!) Now try removing the main, assuming you know what it is, you can't, its not centered in the hole so you can't get a socket on it! I had to remove the carb from the engine and air box and flip in upside down to remove the bowl so I could get at the main jet. first screw on the adapter and then select the right size jet...The directions also suck about what jet to use.
Now put the entire mess back together. A heart transplant is easier. I put a 155 main in based upon what I read on this site I've got a Yoshi slip on ad a new K&N filter, w/o air box holes.
Didn't get to ride it yet, I hope it works better.
Oh, I'm always amazed that Honda doesn't put a $2 fuel filter on the 400EX, I'd like to put one on but you've got about 2" from the tank valve to the carb...any ideas about this?

Wheelie
04-29-2002, 09:49 PM
A fuel filter/strainer in placed inside the gas tank above the fuel shutoff.

IMO--Leave the setup as it is, don't put an external fuel filter on your machine.

Good Luck!!

Atomic83
04-29-2002, 10:05 PM
I had no problem jetting my quad. I can change a main jet out in 5 minutes. And I didn't remove the gas tank to change the needle, I just propped the back of the gas tank up so i could get to the top of the carb.

VegasEx'r
04-30-2002, 01:12 AM
The first time I changed jets, I felt like you did. It was a pain in the arse. Now, I could probably give Atomic83 a run for his money in a jet-changing race :) . Now that you know how to do it, it'll be a ton easier.

Atomic83
04-30-2002, 02:45 PM
Bring it on VegasEx'r!!! :D