PDA

View Full Version : major ticking valves!

rojorider530
01-29-2005, 05:07 PM
my valves were ticking so i adjuested my valves to factory specs .004 for intake and .005 for exhaust i put it all back together and they tick 100 times worse than they did i have a stock motor with just a slip on pipe and k&n and open air box.
please post all suggestions!!!!!!!!

one thing i did notice is that when putting on the 4 valve adjust ment covers 2 of them had a 12 in them and 2 of them had a 10 in them so i dont know if that makes any diffrence.
thank for your help

400exrider707
01-29-2005, 11:00 PM
Sounds like you set it at the wrong TDC to adjust the valves. Make sure that it is on the compression stroke. Normally you would put it on the TDC that has play in the rocker arms. Now I think you might have to pop off the valve cover to make sure that the cam lobes are pointing down and then reinstall the valve cover then adjust your valves. Unless someone else has a better way of doing now that its messed up. I would say that this is whats wrong.

Rico
01-30-2005, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Sounds like you set it at the wrong TDC to adjust the valves. Make sure that it is on the compression stroke. Normally you would put it on the TDC that has play in the rocker arms. Now I think you might have to pop off the valve cover to make sure that the cam lobes are pointing down and then reinstall the valve cover then adjust your valves. Unless someone else has a better way of doing now that its messed up. I would say that this is whats wrong.

I agree with the above. Make sure to have the valve cover holes opened so you can see the Intake valves closing, then you'll know for sure your at TDC.

rojorider530
01-31-2005, 11:44 AM
thanks alot guys for the help it worked well!!!