PDA

View Full Version : HMF sucks

yel400
01-27-2005, 04:03 PM
i installed a hmf full system on my 400ex the header is hitting the clutch cable and burning a hole in it hmf said to put a z400 clutch cable on it and that would work because it is longer so i did $25 latter the z 400 cable will not work on the 400ex bacause the collar where it hooks to the trans is about 3 times to small so then hmf says to zip tie the cable to the stearing stem which wont work either. because the stem moves when you turn then they said just zip tie it out if the way how can you do so when every direction you tie it it will be hitting something hot. I dont see how that a company can make something and that doesn't work and sale it. they said they would get back to me on this problem mean while i have a 4 wheeler that i cant ride and a $450 exhaust that sucks. any body have this problem if so what is the fix

NacsMXer
01-27-2005, 04:46 PM
To be honest with you, it's not HMF's fault at all that your clutch cable is contacting your header. This happens with any type of aftermarket header because they aren't the EXACT same shape as the stock headers. If you haven't tried this yet, try bending the little bracket that is on the front right motor mount that the clutch cable passes through until the clutch cable is no longer touching the header. If that doesn't work, try attaching small loops of zip ties onto that same bracket and attach them to the cable, sort of like an extension of the bracket if you still need more room.

And finally, if the cable is still melting, just go the hardware store and buy a foot of air hose, cut a slit in it lengthwise, and zip tie that to the cable to protect it from heat.
Usually people don't have to do this, when I was still using a stock clutch cable, all I had to do was bend the bracket and everything was fine.

yel400
01-27-2005, 04:54 PM
nacs thanks for the advice i have tried the braket and the air hose except i used a spark plug boot it still is going to melt the air hose if it is laying directly on the header the zip ties as a extension seems like a temp fix

cals400ex
01-27-2005, 04:58 PM
my buddy uses a zip tie on his full hmf pipe. he doesn't have a problem. i am not sure what he zip tied it too but i know it wasn't the steering stem.

NacsMXer
01-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by yel400
nacs thanks for the advice i have tried the braket and the air hose except i used a spark plug boot it still is going to melt the air hose if it is laying directly on the header the zip ties as a extension seems like a temp fix

I don't know then because it's really hard to say not being in front of your quad and all. If I were you I would just take a good long look under there and think of something, that's usually how I get things done. I just had a crazy idea that popped into my head just now that might work: maybe drill a small hole in the white plastic heat shield under the gas tank and run a zip tie through that to pull the cable where it needs to be? Sorry, I wish I could help ya more bud. :ermm:

wcr400ex
01-27-2005, 06:02 PM
I have a full hmf and all i did was bend the little bracket that holds it. I love the exhaust and if thats how you rate exhaust then you probably should just stick with the stock ones....

BamaRider
01-27-2005, 07:10 PM
I ageree with wcr400ex, I just had my HMF full system installed last week, and I already see that I'm going to have to do something with my cable. I don't have that much done to my bike yet, but I already see that sometimes there needs to be a little modifaction done on your part. As far as HMF goes........I think I got one of the best sounding, best performing, exhaust money can buy.

honda123
01-27-2005, 07:17 PM
I zip tied mine to the spark plug cable no problem. HMF rules!!!

atvrulz
01-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Just because your not clever enough to reposition your clutch cable, the entire company of HMF sucks, :huh
Your statement, is about the most retarded one that i have ever read on this forum.
Just get some fricken zip tyes, and reroute your cable.

yel400
01-27-2005, 07:37 PM
all i am saying is hmf knows this is a problem but they dont want to address it properly they send me to go get parts that dont work and they want me to do stuff that doesn't work ( tie it to the stearing stem) and atv rulz your your probably a little 15 year old ***got thats not how you reply to a post you dont talk to me that way

ZSK
01-28-2005, 06:43 AM
all i am saying is hmf knows this is a problem but they dont want to address it properly they send me to go get parts that dont work and they want me to do stuff that doesn't work ( tie it to the stearing stem) and atv rulz your your probably a little 15 year old ***got thats not how you reply to a post you dont talk to me that way

I think that statement says that you're about 15:huh

Almost any aftermarket company with a full system, redesigns the headpipe for better flow. The problem is that to get it to flow better, or for the proper power output at certain RPM's, the header needs a different bend to it. This is not only with HMF, but also LRD and Curtis Sparks full systems and many others. If you can't seem to figure out that the clutch cable needs to be routed differently, I'm suprised that the carb is properly jetted. I bet you flipped your front wheels too.:rolleyes:

cant400exbeatit
01-28-2005, 10:31 AM
i hate stupid people

trxfour50r
01-28-2005, 12:33 PM
If you your still havin trouble with your clutch cable then just take it off...you don't need it!

yel400
01-29-2005, 05:27 PM
thanks trx i took it off and it works great now you must be a dumb *****

Chef
01-29-2005, 05:34 PM
all i am saying is hmf knows this is a problem but they dont want to address it properly they send me to go get parts that dont work and they want me to do stuff that doesn't work

Listen idiot. Do you want a properly flowing header that actually makes horsepower gains, that you have to move the cable a little bit to clear, or do you want to spend 500 bucks on something that does nothing because they had to build it so morons could make it fit without having to move anything? Welcome to the world of modifying a quad.

400exnac
01-29-2005, 09:03 PM
Happens to me with a full White Brothers

397ccEX
01-29-2005, 11:15 PM
I have heard HMF makes an excellant pipe
I have heard you can zip tie to the frame someswhere

trxfour50r
01-29-2005, 11:21 PM
Well sometimes it's necessary to use some common since instead of makin a thread that's nothin but *****in.

yel400
01-30-2005, 09:21 AM
i would appreciate it if you do not have this exhaust do not post i want answers to the problem not bull chit remarks no one posted yet must have this exhaust because you would no the stock cable will not work you have to get a cable that is six inches longer from __________________ !!!!!!!! ha ha

Pappy
01-30-2005, 09:45 AM
your stock cable will work, all thats required is a 10 inch piece of braided line to protect the cable. you can get a piece of this from almost any car performance shop or catalog etc.

secondly, your thread title is very misleading. it should be...HMF doesnt suck, I just dont know how to make things work so I bash the company I bought the part from

Pappy
01-30-2005, 09:47 AM
here is a 425EX with a full HMF system and i'll be damned, a stock cable

yel400
01-30-2005, 03:40 PM
lets see a close up on the cable not the ***** of the bike, poppy

Pappy
01-30-2005, 04:04 PM
trust me genuis its stock.

id suggest you get some wrenching under your belt before you hurt yourself or drive yourself broke fixing things you screw up.

we all thought you were an idiot when you made this thread, you now have proven it.

signed...

A person without a burnt clutch cable:cool:

Chef
01-30-2005, 05:12 PM
lets see a close up on the cable not the ***** of the bike, poppy

Grow a brain and quit your b!tchin. You were proved to be an idiot by everyone on this thread, and it hasnt stopped yet.