PDA

View Full Version : Dumont 440EX Performance

yfz450admirer
01-27-2005, 01:12 PM
After having posted this thread in Dune Tales (1 response) and 450R (11 responses) I didn't get very many objective responses so I am now posting in 400EX.

I rode Dumont this last weekend with my Trinity 440EX with aftermarket carburetor and a blown head gasket. Here are some results. Beat various 450R's that were stock, end cap removed and re-jetted, Big Gun Pipe, and other after-market exhausts. Some 450R's beat me, but less than half. There was 1-450R that was beating everyone. Beat various piped Raptors, some Predators, however I did get beat by some of those with modifications unknown. I stayed close, 2-3 bike lengths with DS650's. I beat like 4 YFZ's stock and piped, but the majority of the machines destroyed me. I beat several Z-400's and I got beat by a z-400 by three bike lengths for the first time (mods unknown). Beat some Banshees and got beat by some Shees. There were a ton of 450R's there which surprised me. One of the funniest things on the week-end was when a guy on a piped 450R called me out----but he would only race me if we started half-way up the hill, past the whoops. A hill without whoops, what a joke!! Needless to say I beat him, when I started at the base of the hill and he started half-way up the hill. I was thinking about unloading my 440EX for $3000 and purchasing a 450R, but many 450R's seemed to have difficulty navigating the whoops and their power output was not much more than the 440EX. I ride mostly track and some dunes. Any input? Thanks

Fast350ex
01-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Sounds like you've got a bad***** bike and you sound like your a good rider, but did the guys on the other quads know what they were doing?

I know don't know much about the 450r, my friend has one and he says he loves it, I haven't got the chance to race him yet, he has a curtis sparks full pipe and filter.I have a full Curtis Sparks engine but my bike is sick, and I can't f'ing fix the problem, I've tried everything (checked timing, changed jets) It won't start half the damn time.

Freestylemxr
01-28-2005, 09:34 PM
I'de go with a 450, yes 440ex's are fast, but those engines can not get any faster, a piped 450 can keep up with a 440ex, and you can port, polish, cam mod, etc. to the engine still, much more potential. Also a 400ex is air cooled, not to good for such a huge engine! liquid is much more effitiant, also 440ex's go through clutches fast and always are needing repair, a 450 engine stock is bullet proff and about as fast as a 440ex when you add a pipe