PDA

View Full Version : What should I do while I've gotten the whole 400ex broken down?

fwhite02
01-27-2005, 05:03 AM
Frame is bent past the point that I'd try to bend it back and weld it, so I'm replacing front and back.

While doing this project, I plan on adding aftermarket shocks in the front, steel braided brake lines front and rear and adding K&N air filter and outerwear.

Due to the damage, I'll be replacing steering stem, upper and lower left-side a-arms, and left-side tie rod. I'm a little concerned about the left knuckle, considering the impact the left side of the quad took. Is a visual inspection sufficient for detecting any problem or is there another way?

Any tips or suggestions on things I should watch out for? I'm not breaking the engine apart except for what's required to slide it out of the frame, but if there's maintenance I should do while it's out, let me know.

I have 3 1/2 weeks till next race. Any other mods or maintenance you recommend while I've gotten it broken down?

I got all the top stuff off last night and started on the pivot bolt, knowing how much fun that is to get out. Looks like I'll be ok with it, it's still soaking in PB Blaster, but I've driven it flush, so it's moving.

Any and all assistance appreciated.

2002 400ex XC racer B-class
W/B e-series full exhaust
Pro-peg nerfs
Renthals
Air scoops
E-brake off
EZ pull clutch
Denton steering stabilizer

DaleJrFan
01-27-2005, 10:30 AM
well you could have your stuff x-rayed but it is expensive and kinda overkill. sounds like you are on the right track though doing a rebuild/upgrade all at once. are you going to do any motor mods? i was just down in tampa, ybor city is awesome, cant wait to go back!

copedaddy
02-18-2005, 06:50 AM
part it out and buy a trx450r

96lapis coupe
02-18-2005, 09:33 PM
I'll be parting out the 99 I have in a week or so if you need any parts I have all the a-arms off of my 04 and the frame and steering stem and everything off of my 99, pm me if you're interested.

ridin4life05
02-22-2005, 07:34 PM
well since your buying a arms and new stuff i think you should buy guards like a arm guards and skid plates so you dont mess your new stuff up if that is any help