PDA

View Full Version : so the new bike is broke in...

EricB
04-29-2002, 03:09 PM
now what do i do? i heard change the filter and oil, what is the reasoning behind this? personaly i don't understand why you would want to change the filter, the oil possibly. anyhow i'll trust all of your judgement and what you have personaly done. um also should i adjust the valves? or have the dealer do it? i've ran about 2 tanks of gas through it, never above 3/4 throttle and never rode it for more than 30 mins straight. it did get quite muddy tho =) those tires fling, and those fenders don't do much about stopin it hehe.

its a great bike and i want to keep it that way, so let me know what i should do.

also is there an advantage for running premium over regular? will i notice a differnce with the higher octane? does the lesser ammount of lead matter?

nakomis0
04-29-2002, 03:16 PM
You change the oil and filter because the new engine did some rubbing and grinding. Metal shavings come off gears and other moving parts more when its new, after that its less wear because everything is seated properly.

I'd wait about 6 months before adjusting the valves. Depending on how much you ride I guess, but atleast 3months.

Don't know much about gas, just filler er up and run it. :)

flaneledholes
04-29-2002, 04:40 PM
i would recommend you use the highest octane available and if you are still not satisfied with your engines performance put octane booster in it. you can but octane booster from wal-mart for under $5.

JustRace
04-29-2002, 05:19 PM
Don' run the highest octaine possible, just run the average premium gasoline.

EricB
04-29-2002, 05:46 PM
ya i wasn't really thinking of adding octane boost, premium at most. but thanks for the info.