PDA

View Full Version : 416ex with stage 2 hotcam problems

2000TRX400EX
01-26-2005, 05:49 PM
I installed a 416 kit in my ex. I used a JE piston with a stage 2 hotcam. When it was first built it ran great but lately i have noticed that when I give it the gas it starts to make a clanging sound. When i was putting it together I used the old head gasket. Is what i am hearing "Pinging" due to too high compression? Should I replace my old head gasket with a new one if so what brand honda or cometic. Isnt' there a cometic gasket out there that is supposed to be better than just their regular gasket. My kit was installed last june and only ridden maybe 10 hours or so. Any help would be appreciated.

khen
01-26-2005, 06:51 PM
What is the compression of the piston you installed? I know mine is pinging with 92 octane pump fuel and I have an 11:1 Wisco piston in it.

tryken
01-26-2005, 07:11 PM
You should definately replace the gasket, although I don't think that is what is causing the pinging.

trynflyn450r
01-26-2005, 07:35 PM
a stage 2 cam may make some noise when you lug it down at low revs. Any time you up the compression it is a good idea to run a high octane like 110 or higher it will also run cooler. check your valve clarence and that your valves did not tighten up

markk
01-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by trynflyn450r
a stage 2 cam may make some noise when you lug it down at low revs. Any time you up the compression it is a good idea to run a high octane like 110 or higher it will also run cooler. check your valve clarence and that your valves did not tighten up

Actully a few years ago Hotcams had some problems with the flange coming loose from the cam, Was your cam already put togeather, or did u have to press the sprocket hub on??

My buddies freind changed his oil in 416 about 4 weeks after it was rebuilt, And put the filter in backwards, It made a hela pingging sound, But we figguerd it out that he fried the came, and the wrist pin. Iono what to tell u besides dont ride it anymore at all, Just park it and look at your motor seriously!

2000TRX400EX
01-26-2005, 08:27 PM
The piston is a 10.8:1 but the thickness of the head gasket will also increase the compression. I am thinking that the old gasket is not as thick as a new one would be. It still runs really strong but it just makes that noise. I will try a higher octane fuel and see if that clears up the noise. I will also be getting a new gasket.

foleyit
01-26-2005, 09:11 PM
I know someone having the same problem with their built motor. It was related to not using a high enough octane. He was mixing 50/50; 101 with 92 octane and that just wasn't enough. Runs straight 101 on a 11:1 and no more noise.

400exrider707
01-27-2005, 12:27 PM
I run 92 on my 11:1 wiseco with all of the gaskets and have no pinging whatsoever. I have talked to people on here who run 12:1 on pump and have no problems. I would say try the higher octane first and the oil filter too.

UglyMotha™
01-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I run 92 on my 11:1 wiseco with all of the gaskets and have no pinging whatsoever. I have talked to people on here who run 12:1 on pump and have no problems. I would say try the higher octane first and the oil filter too.

a wiseco 11:1 compression piston is no where near a true 11:1 compression ratio

there are way to many variances that determine why a person would need race fuel in not just compression, it could be anything from tempurature to jetting i would say your buddy running 12:1 probably has his bike jetted fatter than i needs to be

trynflyn450r
01-27-2005, 02:57 PM
I used to run 50/50 turboblue and 94 and now i just run turboblue it is 115 octane. The higher the octane the cleaner it will burn. After i have been running 115 for while i noticed there is no black carbon at the end of my pipe. And my bike runs great. I tryed running 87 and 92 and at low rpms when i punched it
it would stull but now better gas gave me better throttle response and did not stull.

400exrider707
01-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
a wiseco 11:1 compression piston is no where near a true 11:1 compression ratio

there are way to many variances that determine why a person would need race fuel in not just compression, it could be anything from tempurature to jetting i would say your buddy running 12:1 probably has his bike jetted fatter than i needs to be

Yeah I know that its not actually an 11:1 cause of all the gaskets. Wasn't anybody I know that runs 12:1 just people on here I've been talking to

sampleez
01-27-2005, 07:49 PM
look and see if the noise is coming from the side of the motor, like where the head sits on the cylinder. mine made a noise like really bad detonation, and it ended up being two of the studs coming loose. if it's that, you may be able to see daylight in the corners of the gasket. you may also be able to see a little puffs of smoke coming out when you give it gas. you may also see a little oilly residue in the gap.